Importing vehicles to sell from U.S.A

Hi I am a US citizen and have a dual citizenship US/Ecuador. I am a car dealer in the US looking to open up a dealership in Ecuador and would like to know the process of importing vehicles from the US to Ecuador for resale , is this possible ? If so what is the process ? I'm. It concerned about the taxes and how high the fees looking for someone who can help and guide me with this process. Thanks you

Google Search for "Compilation  of  Foreign  Motor  Vehicle  Import Requirements United  States  Department  of  Commerce International  Trade" and you will find a long PDF that has the answers you are looking for.

Dear DMS First Class,

Welcome to the Ecuador forums of expat.com...

----

Cars assembled in Ecuador already cost too much in comparison with prices in other countries.

I paid $18,000 US for my new 2016 Chevy Sail assembled in Ecuador -- a simple, four-door, manual-transmission car with A/C, push-button-control windows and otherwise standard features.

Unless you have a Unique Selling Proposition and an inside track to carry it out, I don't see a profit-path for you given the experienced existing dealerships that would be competing for your potential customers.

I would have paid extra for an automatic transmission (I burned out the clutch in my first month of driving the car, somehow the dealership replaced it for free under warranty) -- but not the $10,000 more that the dealership would have required.

If you and only you could offer cars in Ecuador with automatic transition at a competitive advantage, or had some other unique proposition, then I think you could compete.

Otherwise, you could be risking much for no foreseeable advantage and a dim profit picture.  You would likely be 'on the hook' for shipping cars to Ecuador, insurance on the shipments, tariffs at the Ecuador end .. and red tape up the wazoo.

cccmedia

As a dealer in the US I have a connection with the insurance companies and purchase my vehicles at a low price 40-50% of value in US so the taxes and Tarifs and shipping I don't think will bother too much I am just asking the process of buying in US and shipping to Ecuador to sell the legal way. Is this possible?

Thank you ! I will look into it now.

Hello,

Only major dealers and car companies are allowed to import cars to Ecuador, and only new cars are allowed.
The government try to protect the national production so there is many restrictions for importers and taxes are heavy.

Vinny