Sending and receiving packages in Tunisia

Hello,

As an expat, there are inevitably certain items you might want or need from back home, and around the holiday period, many people like to send gift packages.

How easy is it to send and receive packages in Tunisia?

Is the public postal system efficient?

Do people tend to prefer using private shipping services? Which ones?

How do the costs of the private shipping services compare?

How long does it take generally to receive packages from abroad in Tunisia?

Do you have to pay taxes on items received by mail from abroad?

Are packages delivered right to your doorstep, or do you usually have to go collect them somewhere?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

If I get a package there is a slip in my box. I will usually take my husband with me to speed up the process because the English is hard for them. Once in a great while I have to pay a customs charge, but only about 5 times out of 100.
To send anything I usually use rapid poste. My package reaches America in less than a week.

I can only speak of my experience which was not a pleasant one

My son from the US sent me 2 packages 1year ago...Needless to say I am still waiting for them....

My Doctor of 40 years again from the US sent me some medications thru fed ex( I know someone gonna say why didn't you get a prescription here?)
I had to go to the Airoport, meet with 3 différents level of customs and explain what they are for ....?

On the other hand I used DHL once ...And it went smooth
🇺🇸❤️❤️🇹🇳

The Tunisian post office has become very inefficient during the past 7 years. I received both mail and packages from the U.S. in the last two years. My mail was opened and some of the content of one of my packages was taken. My last package from the U.S. was not delivered to my address for a couple months until I complained to the head of my post office. I found out that the mailman had crossed out my address and sent back the package. Luckily the head of my post office was able to track my package and I picked it up from his office another week later.

One of my biggest surprises was the lack of Italian products here. I was told by many I would see Italian and French products all over but the truth is no you wont. The currency is losing value to the Euro so Tunisia is asking its citizens to buy home made products. There is almost no butter! The limited supply is consumed within 20 minutes after a store opens. I was told by unofficial means that all the "choice A" products are sent overseas for sale due to value of sale and all the "choice B" quality items are left for locals.

There is still no butter available on my island but the Carrefour in the nearby large city had some.. but not much. As for La Poste, have just paid for a private letter box and ordered a couple of (cheap) items from Amazon. Interested to see if they get to me. My only experience before was a boxed set of 'Miss Marple' CDs from Amazon UK. Had to take a taxi across town to find the right postal bureau and paid a small fee, but they got here. What surprises me is how many of the houses have ornate letter boxes when there's (to my knowledge) no mail delivery. If my Arabic was better, I'd ask someone!

FormerAtlantean wrote:

There is still no butter available on my island but the Carrefour in the nearby large city had some.. but not much. As for La Poste, have just paid for a private letter box and ordered a couple of (cheap) items from Amazon. Interested to see if they get to me. My only experience before was a boxed set of 'Miss Marple' CDs from Amazon UK. Had to take a taxi across town to find the right postal bureau and paid a small fee, but they got here. What surprises me is how many of the houses have ornate letter boxes when there's (to my knowledge) no mail delivery. If my Arabic was better, I'd ask someone!

Sometimes it can be difficult to get everything you want, but you only have to wait a little while and it's back on the shelves again.

I have no problem with the Postal system.....yes I have a letterbox and I do get my mail but then I did see the postman one day and made friends!!  That's how it works here.  Sometimes the parcels can take a while to get through customs so be patient.

Which island are you living on??

Kerkennah, and I love it here. But have never seen any mail delivery. My magazines used to be delivered to a photo shop in town, though I only discovered this when I went to have my picture taken! My rented letter box at the post office remains empty, though three Amazon orders have been shipped. Will give it a little more time.. so far only two weeks overdue, so not too concerned.