Moving To Kuwait

Hello All,

We are planning to move to Kuwait in early Jan-19 , have some queries , would appreciate if some one can help .

1. We are currently in Bahrain , which is lovely , vibrant , multicultural country with enough social and religious freedom , how is Kuwait compare to Bahrain in these aspects ?
2. What is the best area to live for North Indian family , where we can make new friends , can have fun time together , can celebrate festivals together etc.
3. Which is best CBSE based school in Kuwait , I have two kids one will be in GR3 and other in kindergarten.
4. Is there any Hindu temple in Kuwait , if so , is it opened for public , as have so many in Bahrain.
5 . What about social life , movies , restrictions on ladies , clothing etc.
6. How about renting a fully/semi  furnished  2/3 BHK apartment in nice locality which is good for families , should be vast Indian neighborhood ? which are the areas and rental ?
7. How about the regular expanses ,monthly household , schooling , apartments , and others.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards, Akhi

Hello Akhi and welcome to Kuwait forum. I will try to answer some of your concerns, I will have to leave a couple to someone else more familiar with the matter.

1. I only had a couple of short stays in Bahrain, but my impression is that Kuwait is a bit less "vibrant" and probably even less lovely than Bahrain. However this has been improving quite a bit in the recent times. On the other hand, social and religious freedoms are there so you don't need to worry about that.
2. As usual, the best area is the one close to your work location. Ignoring that fact, you would be probably looking for something in the Salmiya neighbourhood as that is where most of the "action" takes place and you will find a large Indian community there.
5. There are no clothing restrictions apart from using common sense and dressing modestly. Women do not have to be covered, is that i the question. Social life revolves mostly around caffes and malls. During the winter season there are events happening on the weekends and recently a number of venues and museums are opened which are worth visiting.

As for the rent and cost of living, this has been already discussed a lot on the forum, take a look at other similar threads and if you have any specific questions after that, just shoot.

I would agree with the comment on the reduced amount of vibrancy :).  Also yes, it is a lot less pleasing than Bahrain in terms of aesthetics and people. 

Just be mentally ready when coming from Bahrain to accept the differences.  Also, it may or may not matter to you but Kuwait is a "dry" country.

I have lived in pretty much all of the GCC countries including a, thankfully, shorter time in Kuwait and as far as my personal preferences go, I would rank the experience at the lower end of the scale in GCC countries i.e.

UAE / Bahrain
Oman
Qatar
Kuwait & Saudi

I rank Kuwait & Saudi the same.  The difference vs. Saudi in the past used to be the ability of women to drive but with the hassle they give you for a driving license for family members - it wasn't exactly a good experience to get that privilege :).  Some of the restrictions are almost the same i.e. having people of the opposite gender living with you or visiting you in a private place etc (not sure if it has changed) and the rental contract universe is much worse. Also the lower cost of living in Saudi, easier international connectivity (and much nicer airports- relatively speaking. Kuwait airport in my opinion is one of the most horrendous airports I have ever experienced worldwide in my decades of travelling), much bigger country & diversity and slightly nicer people, balances out the other end of the spectrum.

About point 4, there is no temple here Hindu or Buddhist. there are very limited number of churches. I know few Hindu friends who pray within their apartment or rented halls on the week ends and festival time.

I love Indian food. Many choices across Kuwait but I love Salmiya Issa Al Qatami St and surrounding area which has many authentic Indian restaurants and vegetarian restaurants. This area I found mostly populated by Indians.

Thank you all  for your candid reply. Much appreciated.

Moderated by Christine 5 years ago
Reason : please post your ad in the appropriate section: Housing in Kuwait. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Friends one more query , housing , what amount would be sufficient to get a lovely 2 BHK unfurnished flat (if possible sea view)  in salmiya area ? Please guide .