Work visa

Can I apply (if I have a confirmed job offer) for my visa in my home country (USA) and have my heath check done by a doctor here in the states?

First of all there is no "work visa" in Vietnam.  There is a work permit which is held by your employer which enables them to hire you legally.  Let me stress again:
You don't get a work permit; your employer does.  After the work permit is approved you can retain a business visa (I believe; don't quote me on this) or obtain a temporary residence card (TRC) which obviates the need for a visa and allows you to enter and exit Vietnam as long as it is valid.  You can also enter with a tourist visa but you will have to transition to the TRC when you are eligible.

You will want to have the health check done in Vietnam because first of all it will be a lot cheaper and also because any check done elsewhere may not be accepted.  There are several hospitals in the major cities that do this.  Most are set up with well marked English signage for the various stations.  Your employer can point out the most convenient location for you.

Thank you.

May be covered elsewhere, apologies if that is the case. New to VN semi retired in Dong Hoi. Arrived on a three month multiple as I may return to China for short periods. Question. can I extend my three month multiple at a travel agency. Conflicting advise, but some recent searches state that option is no longer available. As in, just closed that option down

Anyone can get a business visa. It does not mean your intending to start a business. You could just simply be coming to VN to scout out products for your business in your home country. If you were to start a business here you would qualify for a TRC. If you have a confirmed job offer they will do what is required ( or should) for you to get your work permit as stated above. The one gent just gave you bad info when he he said "after the work permit is approved you can get your business visa". After the work permit you can get a TRC. But like I said anyone can get a business visa before they arrive, and should get it before they arrive. But like you were told, doing the medial here is far wiser.

Vagabondone wrote:

The one gent just gave you bad info when he he said "after the work permit is approved you can get your business visa".

If you are going to quote someone, you should do so accurately.   I did not use the word "get."  I wrote "After the work permit is approved you can retain a business visa..."  My online dictionary informs me that retain means "continue to have (something); keep possession of."  If you read again, you will see that I also qualified my statement by adding a parenthetical disclaimer.   As I obtained my WP while holding a VEC, I do not have direct experience with a business visa so I felt it was better to do so.  Please read carefully and exhibit caution before you quote.

Poster555 wrote:

Can I apply (if I have a confirmed job offer) for my visa in my home country (USA) and have my heath check done by a doctor here in the states?

I read in a recent post that the health check needs to be done in VN. This is common procedure in most countries due to regulations.