Moving to Hanoi with 2 young kids

Hi All,

We are moving to Hanoi with 2 young children (6 & 2) in December from Sydney Australia. This is not our first time as an expat in Asia. The only different is we don't get car and driver this time which concern me. We will live in Royal City area where's my husband office will located there too. He can walk to office. My son will study in British International school. The questions:
1. How hard getting around here and there without a car especially for school runs, groceries etc?
2. Is it expensive to hire a car with driver monthly? As I heard buying car there expensive with high import tax.
3. Can someone give me bigger picture how is living in Royal City area ?
4. Is it safe walking around in the city ?

Thank you in advance.
From worried mum
Keke

Don't know anything about Royal City area so can't help you there. I've only been to Hanoi a couple of times but it seems more family friendly than in Saigon. More things for families to do on the weekends.

Depending on your budget, maybe getting a Grab would be better than hiring a car monthly. It's like Uber and Lyft in the USA with their own app too.

Buying a car is about 3x the price you would pay in the USA. There are some car companies that are cheaper but I don't recognize any of the names.

Hi Keke. How did the move to Hanoi go? We're Australian with young kids also, considering either Hanoi or Saigon.

Hello Richard,

Hanoi unfortunately isn't the city for us so we decided to move back to Sydney. The main reason because of air quality in Hanoi can be as bad as in Beijing especially during winter time which is Dec-Feb. My little one got pneumonia and constantly sick. As soon as we moved back home. The health problem is gone.

Other than that, expat living is great. You can afford to have nanny, maid, food is cheap, transport is easy (we use grab) which we doesn't need to speak the language to get to a destination. The income tax is great too compare back home. Vietnamese also welcoming. Hanoi is more conservative than Saigon I guess. Schools, as long as you put your children in international schools shouldn't be problem and they have school bus with additional fee from the yearly tuition. If I can choose, maybe Saigon would be better city than Hanoi. Not too much pollution too.

Good luck with move

Sorry it didn't work out. Saigon it is then! All the best.

Hi Richard. Could you keep me updated about your move? How it went. What do you do for a living?

Yes of course. The plan will be, when we can travel, to head to Saigon and Vung Tau and check them both out. I've been to both many times. I'm retired. Kids are 13, 8 and 3, so schooling and then uni will become priorities. Can you see yourselves heading back any time?