Long term rental

Hi. My wife and I have had a holiday home in Arboleas for a number of years and having sold we want to swap the countryside for the city. We are keen to live in Almeria City for at least 6 months. Our preference would be a furnished 2 bedroom flat within walking distance of the city centre, ideally with a balcony. We are prepared to pay between 600 and 800 euros. If anyone has a property they want to rent or knows someone who has a property please let us know as we complete on our sale in early November. Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

I did a quick Google search and there are places to rent in your price range. furnished.

Yes we have seen a number but very few agents even bother to reply. I thought that I would try the forum just to see if there are any private landlords out there

I am not happy to say that with experience spread over 30 years i am firmly of the opinion that most real estate agents in Spain, whether english or Spanish, are incredibly incompetent

My opinion is enforced by the experiences of my son who has been in real estate for almost a year   He is also disgusted with people in the business whom he has dealt with

I know it is difficult to find a property without using an agency and I am sorry to say, that apart from being on top of them constantly, i. do not know how one can overcome the incompetence.

Good luck guys

The problem is that there are far too many so-called Real Estate Agents in the tourist areas of Spain, And the commission rates - for both renting and selling - are far too high and out of all proportion to the often non-existent service they offer.

I wonder if anyone has thought of bringing this subject to the attention of the Spanish regional and national governments?  After all, Spain is far out of line with the rest of Europe and has become a laughing stock when it comes to tourist property rentals and sales, on which a large percentage of Spain's income depends.

Have you tried Idealista.   Thats where I found a property.  Most agents use the site plus some individuals too...

Hi! The most popular are idealista I guess in Spain but several times I used Tranio. They have several offices in Spain and they can sale property in Spain or rent it out or at least they will advise the local agent i the area you need for free. So maybe you can check them and see.

Costabravamark

In Andalucía there  is new legislation governing real estate agents.    I do not know the law in Cataluña

For those interested,  see here re Andalucía 
https://www.mylawyerinspain.com/blog/re … te-agents/

Thank you all for your comments. We have found a flat we really like through Idealista and we are hoping that if everything goes smoothly we will be moving in November.

Johncar wrote:

Costabravamark

In Andalucía there  is new legislation governing real estate agents.    I do not know the law in Cataluña

For those interested,  see here re Andalucía 
https://www.mylawyerinspain.com/blog/re … te-agents/

In Cataluña also you can not be real estate agent just because you decided you will be one ... you have some laws

http://habitat-abogados.com/la-ley/aica … -cataluna/

costabravamark wrote:

The problem is that there are far too many so-called Real Estate Agents in the tourist areas of Spain, And the commission rates - for both renting and selling - are far too high and out of all proportion to the often non-existent service they offer.

I wonder if anyone has thought of bringing this subject to the attention of the Spanish regional and national governments?  After all, Spain is far out of line with the rest of Europe and has become a laughing stock when it comes to tourist property rentals and sales, on which a large percentage of Spain's income depends.

I come from France, commission for renting is the same here, between 1 month of rent and 10% of 1 year of rent, and the service is the same ...

Johncar and Marnie22,

You're right that there are laws regarding training to become an Estate Agent, but I regret to say that they are not necessarily enforced rigidly enough, and may be compulsory only for one director of the company rather than the agency staff. The rules are particularly lax where the establishment of a new agency will bring revenue to the local council.

In Catalunya, the maximum commission rate for sales is 5%.  Effectively that means that the vast majority of agents charge 5% and it is very difficult for a seller to negotiate down from that rate.  I regret that I have no knowledge of the rental situation, which after all is how this thread started.  So I should apologise for my somewhat irrelevant intervention.   :unsure

CostA. As far as andalucia is concerned you are jumping the gun as although the law has been approved it has not yet come into effect and so far no rules have been published