Looking to move to Kuwait with fiance

Hello,

I am looking to move to Kuwait with my fiance once he finds a job there. I am from the United States of America. I am looking for so advise to whether or not that is a good idea. He wants to live there for about 5 years. Will i be accepted there? Will i have a problem getting a job myself? I don't speak Arabic? Any suggestions please help.

Dear
It's multicultural society and no problem at all
But sure it's still Arabic Muslim countries with some rules that you didn't used to

My mom is a nervous reck and told me so rude stuff if I moved there. Any suggestions what to do or tell her or stuff she can read. I just don't know.

Take your life in your own hands, and let her deal with hers.

Kuwait is very peaceful and there are thousands of Americans living and working here.All you need is to follow the law and respect the culture here.

Regarding work , yes you can find if you search , you teach in American or English schools.

Regards

Kuwait's expat community is made up of a very diverse group of cultures and nationalities. Depending on where you are from, mostly you would find yourself cling to social circles that consists of people from where you are. This can work both ways. Such groups offer quicker acceptance, higher comfort level but on the other hand lack cultural exchange and often limit you from learning the local language, likes and dislikes of locals, food etc.

Question of you being accepted or not is completely dependent on the fact that how much time and effort you are willing to invest in knowing local culture. Kuwait generally is a very liberal society where people from any country and of any faith find easy to assimilate. Having that said you must know that at it's core it is a Arab Muslim country. There are things that you could do here and get away without attracting anyone's attention but there are things that are widely accepted in other societies but not here. One example would be display of public affection. Culturally here relationships, love are a very private subject. Drinking is outlawed and therefore absolutely no alcohol here. If you can't live with out it then moving to Kuwait may be a bit harsh on you.

Not knowing the local language i.e Arabic is not criminal! Most expats here are English speaking or I must say English aware. Among Kuwaitis, you will come across some of the finest western educated English accents to absolute "no speak English" level of communicators. Yet no one frowns upon for making an honest attempt to speak Arabic, especially if you are not a native Arabic speaker.

In terms of food and shopping, if you want to compare it to the US, you will not miss anything at all. Infact I'd say in most cases the food taste and quality is better than it is in the US. This is coming from someone who has lived long years in the US and travels extremely often to the US.

Getting a job again depends on what your resume looks like. If you are a college graduate especially in Sciences/Engineering then you have better chance with the Oil and Gas companies that pay you world class salaries and offer you equally good benefits. Remember this is a oil rich country and top jobs naturally are in that industry.

Next closest would be the banks. They pay well but with Kuwaitization on the rise you'd hardly land a interview.

A small western expat population is employed by British/US schools here in Kuwait. Other suitable positions for an expat coming from the US could be found at logistics companies that are engaged with US Army bases in Kuwait.

The bottom line is Kuwait could be your gateway to learn about not just Kuwaiti culture but cultures of many other countries. Often for western expats it is a good place for short duration 5 to 10 years during which they can make some tax free money. Perhaps pay off your home loan in your country. It is important to note that every new expat settling here MUST have an exit plan as this is not a forever place for expats.

If you are looking for a job before moving to Kuwait then I could recommend my business that is actively hiring. You may send your resume to [email protected]