What documents do I need to move to Portugal?

I have lived in America all my life and was born here as well. Recently I decided that I should give a try at life in Portugal however I'm not sure if I have every document needed. I am an american citizen and also a portuguese citizen. I have my cartao de cidadao but don't have a portuguese passport. I do have an american passport though. Do I need a portuguese passport? Do I need any other document or have to do anything else? I'm scared that when I get to the portuguese airport they won't let enter since I don't have a portuguese passport but like I said i do have my cartao de cidadao.

Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps you should consider getting a Portuguese passport. This would definitely ease any worries about potential problems.

Contact your closest Portuguese Embassy too.

An American passport grants its holder access to nearly every country in the world. In 2012, U.S. citizens and nationals could travel to 166 countries visa-free or with visa on arrival, including most countries in Europe and South America. Portugal is on the list. You can stay 3 months without any extra documents.

yes i know i can stay there for 3 months without any other document but I want to LIVE there not just stay there for 3 months.

Hi netdobeiras

I don't know much about this, but I have been doing a lot of research and my husband  (an EU passport holder, already living and working in Lisbon) is in the process of finding out about us entering as South Africans in October (A LOT more difficult.... 😕)

I think you're stressing unnecessarily 😉
If you can enter on your US passport and stay for 3 months, AND you're a citizen of Portugal, I can't imagine that it would be that difficult to get your Portuguese passport while you're there? Just contact or visit SEF and start the process?
You might also need to register your intention to stay after 3 months, but they should confirm that for you.

This is what i'm scared of happening: I get there and the customs officer say's that I can't live there since I don't have a portguese passport. They need to stamp something on my passport and since I only have an american one it has to be a 90 day visa stamp, forcing me to get a portuguese passport while I'm there and forcing me to have to travel back to america then back to portugal with my portuguese passport. obviously I don't want to do this.

Speak to Luis Ramos Pena on this site. He's a local lawyer and can advise correctly. But if you're already a citizen, I really can't see much problem with getting a passport as your final step? It might just take some time, but at least you will have started the process. You will also need to know if USA allows a dual passport if you want to keep that one.

I assume the cartao de cidadao is your Portuguese identity card. If that's the case, show your American passport when you leave the states and when you land in Portugal use your identity card to enter Portugal and use the EU/ EEA / CH lane at passport control and enter the country. EU citizens can enter and exit the EU with their identity cards or passports. No need to get a Portuguese passport.

Hi Janine, we're thinking of bringing my sister in law here from SA and I was also looking at all the documentation. My husband has an Italian passport and we live here in Portugal. Need to give them a call sometime soon. All the best with your quest and if you have any tips let me know. Where are you thinking of moving to?

Warm regards
Sandra

Hi Sandra

Gee, I wish I had tips to share, but I suspect it's more likely to be the other way round!
We're about to apply for our Schengen visas and stressing like crazy because they're so strict... 😐 If you can sponsor your sister-in-law (with a Term of Responsibility form) it will be a lot easier I think.
Also battling to find somewhere reasonably priced and nice to stay, out of the city. Possibly Setubal? My husband is busy trying to get appointments to view... Damn difficult process. They advertise, then never bother to answer requests! Also so many scams, it's scary.
Where did you settle?

We will sponsor her and I need to phone and find out what all is needed. We settled in a place called Nazare as my sister in law is Portuguese and comes from there so we live near each other. Lots of people speak English in the Algarve area which is good. Nazare is very small and known for the biggest surfing waves up to 90 feet. Very busy for most of the year and crazy busy in summer. I find it much cooler than the South. We went to Algarve this weekend but weren't very impressed as it seems they not really looking after the South. Sintra is very quaint and Cais cais next door has lots of South Africans. Why Setubal if I may ask?

Sounds lovely 😊
Setubal .. easy travelling distance to city centre and cheaper rentals ! 😝

Ok so finally did it. I got to portugal and showed the customs officer my american passport and my portuguese citizen card. He simply looked at my citizen card and let me in. He did not even bother touching or stamping my american passport. Thank you everyone for their support.

As for nice places to live outside the big cities, we choose Lourinha. We have been living here now for 6 weeks and it is heaven. Its less than an hour to Lisbon, has lovely beaches, and is big enough (maybe 25,000) to have everything one needs. Can't imagine why we ever lived anywhere else.

Hi everyone,

My name is Keshia, I am new on the site and have 2 questions i would really like assistance with.
1. My step dad is a Portuguese citizen and has a Portuguese passport, my mom and dad have been married for over 23 years and have registered their marriage at the Portuguese consulate(we lived in Portugal about 18 years ago ),My mom is not a citizen but wants to be.I read that they just have to be married for over 3 years and she can be granted citizenship.If so i am her biological child when she gets granted  citizenship will i be granted to? because she is my mother and will my kids also get granted?OH my step grandparents live in Portugal and we have family  there.

2. I am trying to find a job in Portugal  and have been applying, does anybody know what websites or people i can get in contact with to assist?

your help will be much appreciated , We really trying to leave South Africa with all the crime here its devastating.

Welcome to the forum Kaamilah  :)

Take the time to read through other posts here for information.