Quality cookware/kitchenware availability on North Coast?

Still a newbie here and I don't post much because I can find most answers by using the search function. But, I searched all I could for “pots” “pans” “cookware” etc. I remember reading a thread about taking your high quality knives with you. I could pack up my Wusthof knives without any problem. Cooking is my passion. Weight and size is not a big concern with a set of knives obviously.

I've got maybe 30 pieces of All Clad cookware, in addition to a full set of well seasoned cast iron cookware, and I use them every day. I bought them because they would last me a lifetime. Is this something I should consider bringing with me? Are there stores in PP or Sosua that sell cookware similar to All Clad, Calphalon, Le Creuset, etc?

JulianTorrez: Thank you for your “Order a tabletop dishwasher from Walmart and check it is baggage” post!!!! I cannot wash dishes by hand ever again. I've had a Danby countertop dishwasher and now have a Magic Chef countertop dishwasher. Greatest appliance ever!!!

You will not find that level of quality in Puerto Plata. You will be hard pressed to find it in Santo Domingo.  You can find cast iron but not the others.

Thanks planner. I was afraid of that  :(  Does the same hold true for small appliances - Kitchen Aid stand mixers, fancy coffee makers, food processors, etc.?

They are available but expensive 

By the way officially volunteering to taste test!!!  :D:D:D

planner wrote:

By the way officially volunteering to taste test!!!  :D:D:D

Once I'm finally down there and all set up, you and yours would be more than welcome in my home for a big feast 👨‍🍳

Gracias!!!  :)

She gets to have all the fun!

the tinker40 wrote:

She gets to have all the fun!

You Sir, would not have to worry about anything. When we have such a feast, I would certainly arrange for your transport. Do you enjoy cajun cooking? I make a mean ass gumbo.  :D

- Greg

Oh man you don't know who you asked that question of...... He will tell you stories..... Just wait!!!!  :D

Greg, Do you mean with Andouille & filet,sassafras & okra, with  maybe a side dish of dirty rice?  Count me in!  My restaurant was known for its' Cajun Creole specials.  Double dipped shrimp & fried spicy oysters.. It be true  fo tru me son.    Most people think that Et' Touffee is a particular recipe, Nope!  It just means cook whatever you got & make it good.  I have 3 cast iron pots with iron lids & detachable wood handles that I would sell.  Small, medium & Bigger. Very heavy and old. I can't see well enough to make proper use of them. Keeping my skillet. I still can make hot sauces & BBQ rubs & sauces.  Just made a pineapple/coconut one with a habenero/serrano base. Great on fish, pork & mixed with a 50/50 olive oil & balsamic makes a super salad dressing & a marinate too.  I really miss cooking the things I love.  Smoked stuffed turkey. Mufungo/sausage/ fruit  stuffing with a orange/garlic baste & drippings gravy .  Yeah, i sure do miss cooking.  Do I like Cajun? Bet your ass I do!!

Tinker I always look forward to your posts

the tinker40 wrote:

Greg, Do you mean with Andouille & filet,sassafras & okra, with  maybe a side dish of dirty rice?  Count me in!  My restaurant was known for its' Cajun Creole specials.  Double dipped shrimp & fried spicy oysters.. It be true  fo tru me son.    Most people think that Et' Touffee is a particular recipe, Nope!  It just means cook whatever you got & make it good.  I have 3 cast iron pots with iron lids & detachable wood handles that I would sell.  Small, medium & Bigger. Very heavy and old. I can't see well enough to make proper use of them. Keeping my skillet. I still can make hot sauces & BBQ rubs & sauces.  Just made a pineapple/coconut one with a habenero/serrano base. Great on fish, pork & mixed with a 50/50 olive oil & balsamic makes a super salad dressing & a marinate too.  I really miss cooking the things I love.  Smoked stuffed turkey. Mufungo/sausage/ fruit  stuffing with a orange/garlic baste & drippings gravy .  Yeah, i sure do miss cooking.  Do I like Cajun? Bet your ass I do!!

Haha, nice! That's exactly what I'm talking about. So good. My Father is from Louisiana so I think it's in my blood  :idontagree:

the tinker40 wrote:

Is Filé powder readily available? What about Okra? Could be deal breakers 😜

Lots of okra but have to have filet sent in. Maybe in SD or Santiago.

planner wrote:

Oh man you don't know who you asked that question of...... He will tell you stories..... Just wait!!!!  :D

LOL! I had only gone back through 30 pages of threads. I had no idea!

the tinker40 wrote:

Lots of okra but have to have filet sent in. Maybe in SD or Santiago.

You and I would get along.

We own some Le Creuset pieces that we intend to take with us. I have seen the quality of some of the items sold in DR and all i can say is Eeek. And getting name brands in dR can get pricey.

KatWillNY wrote:

We own some Le Creuset pieces that we intend to take with us. I have seen the quality of some of the items sold in DR and all i can say is Eeek. And getting name brands in dR can get pricey.

Will likely end up doing the same. Funny how it's some of the heaviest and bulkiest items huh?! And, as I continue to browse real estate, the cost gets a lot higher to have a really nice kitchen haha.

- Greg

Yes kitchens are expensive here.

Weather on a Wolf or a coal pot, good cooking & good food are always at hand, never mind BBQ or on a 4 block rocket stove, we can make it great!  But, ooh, how much easier & more fun with the right stuff!

I love to cook and I have a special relationship with my cooking pots. have owned some of my Le Creuset for well over 20 years. Will hate to part with them. Those things are amazing, plus is like an old car youve owned for some time, you know how to drive it and you all of its noises and idiosyncrasies. Cooking is an art and when it comes to pollo guisao con ConCon, no pot does it better than mine. !!!!

planner wrote:

Yes kitchens are expensive here.

I am really blown away by this. Those little 4-square-foot stoves with four 6" inch burners? I can do gas or electric but I need a big cooktop and a decent size oven which seems to mean $$$  :sosad:

The basic stove is cheap. A quality kitchen is not.  You will cook with propane here and will need to spend money on quality appliances. Look for new style energy efficient fridge!  Big cook top stoves are available honey. You will want to shop in Santiago or Santo Domingo for best options and prices.

There are several good bar/restaurant supply places. They all have re-conditioned used equipment as well as new. One may specialize in hot line stuff, another refrigeration & the next in fixtures.  I have a contact who knows them all. PM me for his info. He enjoys finding things, He has found for me such things as a Tap-con driver & fork bearing  for a '72  Daytona  Trophy 500,  Canadian, been here for decades.

Thanks again for all the help and advice everyone! I have to admit, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the idea that some people actually keep propane tanks inside their homes  :blink:

- Greg

Boy-oh-oh- boy. Have an open mind & sense of humor. With out one you are doomed, no bull shit, you are done, defined as such kills any decent deal. The bull can cover thaose has missed the sptig

Gcvt honey you ain't  seen nothing yet. Be prepared to be amazed, and shocked and shake your head and and and.....  :joking:

Thanks again all. Don't worry about me haha. I've traveled almost all over the world in my 49 years (and fully realize how lucky I am to have done so) and have seen it all. I have a good sense of humor but it is a little dry. Maybe some humidity will improve it  :D

- Greg

Humidity we have!!!