Help! Any Saffas who have moved pets to Portugal?

I need any advice that expats from SA can give me, please!
I'm trying to relocate my furboy from Cape Town to Lisbon in October. The prices being charged by agents here are really outrageous (between R30k and R50k!)
Has anyone done this on their own? Is it possible??
I would really love to hear about your experience.

Which services have you tried? From the look of it, there are quite a few companies that transport animals.

Hi there
I have quotes from 3 companies at this stage, and each one quotes more than the last.
My point / question here is: I'm doing all the veterinary paperwork and processes, including state vet just before we leave; I can book him on  a cargo flight; I can buy my own IATA approved sky kennel.
All I need is someone to do customs and waybills - and I don't see the value of an extra R20k in doing that through a pet travel agency. Or am I wrong?

No not at all, these agencies exist for the simple reason it takes one less stress out with your move. All I can suggest is that do your homework, there is lots of information online regarding this subject. Each airline has a section on their website telling you what you need to do.

I wish good luck, and I hope it goes well for you. Maybe someone will also comment and give you some personal experience.

Thanks 😊 Yes that's what I'm hoping for - that someone out there has done this themselves! I have spoken to one airline directly and they were very helpful and enthusiastic - but if you're using freight/cargo, you apparently need a customs/forwarding agent to do waybills etc...