Portuguese Citizen Marrying a Foreigner

Hello there,

My name is Dario, I am a Portuguese Citizen but I was born and raised in South Africa. I have spent the past three years in Prague, Czechia but now I am in Lisbon for an internship.

I am engaged to an Azerbaijani woman for a year whom I met in Prague in 2014, and I want her to be in Lisbon with me, and to start a marriage process, however we are having troubles with understanding which Visa to apply or how to apply. There are numerous factors and challenges.

Her home Country does not have a Portuguese Embassy or Consulate. The nearest is in Turkey. She was told by the Spanish Embassy that she can apply for a Visa through the French Embassy. And if she does get the 'tourist' Visa, it will only permit around 2 weeks. This won't be enough time to begin the marriage procedure.

So my question is: Is there a Visa type for this strange type of situation - for example, South Africa (my country of birth) has a Visa specifically for Fiancees. It is named "Fiance Visa".

I look forward to your help and suggestions!

Best,
Dario

Hi everyone,

@ Abdallaalzoghby, If you have the official information, could you please post it on the forum itself so that other members in the same situation might as well benefit from your inputs ?

Thanks in advance,
Bhavna

Hi there
maybe I am a bit late to provide the advice that you need but we had a similar situation.
We ended up getting married before we came and I was automatically a resident. So if you are sure that you are going to marry, then why hesitate. Just do it and the problem is solved. You can always have another ceremony with family later.
However, if you want to wait then I would suggest that you contact the nearest Portuguese embassy or the SEF
http://www.sef.pt/portal/v10/en/aspx/ap … px?spand=2
as soon as you arrive.

Hmm as non-EU citizen who moved to Portugal because of a marriage with my Portuguese husband, what we did was I was here on tourist visa already (as my passport  type was allowing me to stay in EU countries 3 months at a time as tourist), and we got married in the related portuguese authority, only after then we applied for resident permit.

Hi everyone,

My fiancee is non-EU & she will move to Portugal after studying. We plan to marry next year. How long after marry will it take for her to get a residence permit? Also can she work in Portugal after marry?

Thanks

very true ,hi got a question my wifes portugese resident in the uk im in africa .our marriage is registered in portugal is there any advantages to this when getting a visa to travel to portugal .i hear some countries under eu law have to experdite your visa and its free is this true

Dear Deniz I'm not sure if I will get reply or not from you since your post was last year but I have one question about getting married with Portuguese, we already did paper work and it is in border service we wait for approval I just wanted to ask how long it took getting approval from border service when you were getting married thank you if i get answe from you it would help me a lot
With best regards

deniz88 wrote:

Hmm as non-EU citizen who moved to Portugal because of a marriage with my Portuguese husband, what we did was I was here on tourist visa already (as my passport  type was allowing me to stay in EU countries 3 months at a time as tourist), and we got married in the related portuguese authority, only after then we applied for resident permit.

My wife is Portuguese (holding Portugal citizen), we plan to move to Lisbon, but I am non-EU citizen.
What is the procedure to apply the resident permit?
THANKS!

Hello,

I was wandering if you could help me,  I am guatemalan and have dual citienzienship both guatemalan and us.  i also have two kids and met a portuguese man and we plan to marry and move to portugal.  I am wondering if i should get married as a us or guatemalan citizen and if i should do it here in guatemala where we are now or wait till we get to portual?  In addition i dont know if you know this but will my two children that are not his would they be able to attend public schools or not?  I dont know if you need to be a permanent resident to have that bennefit, and what would i need once married to get my residensy established?
If you have any thought on this it would be great help!