Best Places to Live for New Canadians (2018)

Sara Rosales had a checklist to help select the Canadian city to move to from Mexico with her family.
The city needed to be close to good universities and colleges, since she was going back to school and her children would eventually need somewhere to study too. It had to be in a central location for job hunting. And most importantly, it had to be family-friendly.

Oakville, Ont. checked all of her boxes. “Being able to raise a family was one of the key points why we stayed here,” said Rosales, 43.

In addition to being this year’s overall winner, Oakville took the top spot in our ranking of the best places to live for New Canadians. Over the past 10 years, the percentage of visible minorities in Oakville has increased from 18 per cent to 31 per cent, according to the census. It is the 35th most linguistically diverse city in the country, with about 30 per cent of residents speaking a language other than English or French. People from all over the world see the same things in Oakville as Rosales

Oakville, On
https://i54.servimg.com/u/f54/11/28/70/24/oakvil10.jpg
Living in Oakville allowed Rosales to continue her studies at Sheridan College, her husband to find a job in IT service management and her children to take advantage of the city’s many family-focused activities and events. For New Canadians who want access to the Toronto-area job market without paying downtown prices for housing, it’s easy to see why Oakville is a popular pick.

Still, affordability is a challenge, Rosales said. It would be difficult to make ends meet here for a family that didn’t have at least one breadwinner with a middle class job, she said. “You really need to be stable economically in order to live there,” she said. “It’s hard to afford.”

Our ranking of the best places for new Canadians is based on the same 10 categories as the main Best Places to Live ranking, but with the weightings adjusted to reflect the needs and interests of immigrants. We award points to cities with a large percentage of the population speaking languages other than English or French and increase the importance of a low unemployment rate, affordable rents and access to an airport.

Best Places for New Canadians — by region

Atlantic Canada:    Halifax, N.S. (no. 194)
                            Quebec        :    Mont-Royal (no. 3)
                            Ontario        :    Oakville (no. 1)
                            Prairies        :    Brandon, Man. (no. 28)
                            Alberta        :    Red Deer (no. 17)
                            British Columbia:    Delta (no. 8)

Source: https://www.moneysense.ca/spend/real-es … -2018-100/

Thanks for this

British Colombia is a beautiful place to live, if you can afford to, the life here is very peaceful and weather wise better than many other Provnices in Canada

Hi There, Not many posts here...  :/  We want to live on the East side (closer to family in Europe and time zone is not too bad for calls).
I have selected Ottawa thinking: calm, cheap (have enough of my shoebox size house in the UK) and seems easy to live. Still, plenty of museums and staff to do but I have so many doubts. I love nature and culture. Anyone in Ottawa?
I still thinking about Toronto and Montreal because of shows of international artists but Toronto is expensive, Someone knows how good is the suburb (commuting for work, and nice neighborhood)? Montreal is beautiful and I am bilingual. My partner will have to learn French (which he can) but I am scared that people might be less welcoming as they have this independence culture and might be less friendly with my partner who is not bilingual. The labor market might be tough... Anyone wants to have a chat with me and give me his/her opinion. Thanks, guys ! :)

Hi, Jul Of!

I have been living in Montreal for a bit over a year now and I must say I was surprised by how much English I hear here, I thought people would speak almost exclusively Canadian French but turns out the city is very bilingual; in businesses people welcome their clients in both languages and switch very easily between French and English. Some areas are even mostly English-speaking. And if your partner is open to learning French on top of that, I don't think you would have any problem with languages here :) Considering you'll come from London, you'll probably find the housing in Montreal more affordable too!
I have been to Toronto but have never lived there. It's a very nice city with a more "American" vibe to it (whereas Montreal feels European in some ways) and there sure are tons of stuff to do, but unfortunately it has gotten quite expensive as you mentioned, so the suburbs are more affordable. I will ask around what the nice neighbourhoods to settle in are. :)
As for Ottawa, I must say I haven't visited it yet, it seems very nice and way more affordable than Toronto, people usually say it's very pretty, but I don't know how much there is to do when you live there. Then again, I have never been, so I'm no expert!

Have a great weekend!

Hi Tameran,
Thanks for your answer! :) Great to hear positive about Montreal and that you are happy there. I have read that commuting is easy. About Ottawa, I read so much positive except that some folks seem to get bored. I have a 15 years old and surely this one needs a lively town center. Now folks who say they are bored in Ottawa might just think about nightlife (clubs and so on). As long as the city center is lively until midnight on the weekend it is good enough for us. If you have friends who know Toronto neighborhood that would be great. I am wondering about commuting and I do not want to end up in a London like place, spending 2 t 3 hours on trains and tubes.
Have a great weekend too!