Marrying in the Dominican Republic

Hello, all!

I have been living in the Dominican Republic for 3 years now. I work as a high school teacher. I started a relationship with a Dominican girl  (who is also a teacher at my school) for about a year. We want to marry but have many doubts. We do not want to go to the USA to live. We wish to continue living in the Dominican Republic, but we do want to go to the US for vacation. She was already denied a tourist visa when she went about one year ago. Could our marriage help her get a visa? We do not want to go back to the States but have heard that the only way for me to be able to help her is marrying and moving to the States.

Any comments would be helpful.

Thank you!

Welcome to the forums.  Marriage is a big big step. To me there is only one reason to marry someone!!!

It may or may not help get her a visa to the USA.  That isn't a reason to get married.

It seems as though you did not understand. We want to get married because we certainly love each other. However, we also want to travel to the US and return to DR. The problem is that it seems that I cannot help her get a visa without going through the US residence process which is what we DO NOT want.

Okay got ya.  Now I understand.

Seems to me if you make a home here and show BOTH of you will be returning here then that would assist her!  I will ask a friend who is an immigration attorney in the USA.

thank you so much!

I will be having a conversation with him this evening.  He says: I will call you this evening about question. You would think it is an easy question however it is not due to US Embassy rules of operation and procedures.

I am sure that this is a difficult question. I have researched and researched but have not been able to find an accurate response.

OK. I have some answers.  First marry because you want to.

After, apply for her green card. You can do it all from here you do not need to live in the USA to do this. 

You can get extensions to the green card if and when needed.

At some point you will need to fulfill the requirement to be resident in USA but you guys can decide when to do that. 

A visitor visa is much tougher to get and needs renewals on a frequent basis.  She may or may not qualify, likely not for some time.

If you need more info let me know!

Thank you so much for the answers you have provided! My concern is, will she be able to obtain the residency and keep it only traveling to the US with me? The DR is our permanent residence. If we were to travel to the US, it will only be for 2-3 weeks (maximum). I read that the resident card is only issued to people who want to make the US their permanent home.

Yes!!!! That was one of my specific questions!

Keduardop;  The best advice is to NOT get married at all. In fact most dominicans who say they are married, really are not.  They just call each other 'husban', 'wife'.   Since you don't want to take her to live in the US there, just vacationing is not really a good reason. There are plenty of other places to vacation.  Best avoid future problems.  The odds are at least 50-50 that you will split up.   It's MUCH higher in the dr.

Colonel he indicated they are marrying for love honey. Otherwise can't disagree!!!

Planner, people who are in love don't need to get married to love each other.

And that makes it their personal choice.  I am very aware of what people can do or not do Colonel.

I  will watch for your future reply. My wife, as you know,  Is a Dominican national. Though she was denied a tourist visa to Canada several years ago, I  foresee no problems when apply to go back to visit with her. As we have family also in New York City,  I will also apply for a US visit visa. What I have yet to learn is how long the US VISA is good for. The Canadian visa is good for 10 years....no info found on US website...perhaps your contact can give that info as well....thanks

You can apply for various durations of visitor visa 2VP   and on entry that does not guarantee the duration. For example you can apply for a 1 month visitor visa.  When you enter and cross the boarder (however you do that)  on entry they can at will change that to 2 weeks. Or change 6 months to  1month etc.

That sounds like what might happen here. They do that in the US ...wow.  Haven't of such thing in Canada.

I am referring to USA not Canada. My friend is not an expert on Canada.

I don't know your financial situation, but if you sponsor her tourist visa, it more than likely would get approved. My girlfriend's B-2 visa was approved. She took a letter from me, to her appointment, explaining that I would financially support her during her visit to the United States. She also took a copy of my bank statement and paystubs to demonstrate my finances.
She has a child that will be staying in the Dominican Republic with her family. That lets the embassy knows she has ties to the DR and be willing to return.

The tourist visa is for 6 months and can be extended for up to a year. It can also be used to travel back and forth.

Sorry honey but most applications are rejected.  Her daughter is likely the most useful thing she provided as proof of return.  I personally know 100's who have been turned down. 

And things are even tougher under the new administration there.

Is it just as difficult to get a visa to pass through the USA to go to another country like Bermuda?

Sometimes yes it is.

I can only speak from my personal experience,  and my small circle of friends. They have had their girlfriend's visas approved, but all of the women have a child or two that stays in the Dominican Republic. And the men are very financially stable.

Might be the magical combo honey!!!