New life

if someone was born in costa rica but one day wanted to move to a different part of the world where they knew no one let alone much less had a job when they landed in a new country like lets say chile, argentina, guyana, panama, belize, papua new guinea, ect....  lets assume at this point but only assuming of course that they did know someone like a spouse that they just married and that their spouse was sponsoring them so they could arrive at buenos aires, argentina, how would they go about finding a job then?  how does a foreigner secure a job in a country that theyve never been to?  how can a person pull off such a feat single handedly?  i know that this sounds overwhelming but i only ask because a friend of mine who is from costa rica would like to move to another country to start a new life but doesnt know how to do so when he has never been to another country let alone much less land a job in that new country!   how can someone be able to find a job in a new country?  he plans on marrying this lady from argentina but doesnt have a job when he arrives in argentina!  can someone/anyone make any suggestions how he should go about landing a job when he arrives in buenos aires, argentina?  how can a person even planning things ahead of time arrive in a new country with a job to go to?  can this be done pretty much single handedly?  can someone help us out?  rsvp.  thank you.

Everyone's skills, aptitudes and talents are different so I don't know how anyone can give you specific advice.

However here's some general advice.

It helps if he speaks the same language, from birth, of course.  If he has some skill that's scarce and in demand in Argentina he may be able to find a job in that field, and be selected ahead of Argentinians.

He can research jobs available via the internet doing obvious searches like
argentina trabajo
and find sites like
https://www.computrabajo.com.ar/
and
http://www.bumeran.com.ar/

Of course he will need to get permission to work in Argentina as a foreigner:
https://www.argentina.gob.ar/tema/extranjeros/trabajarhttps://www.justlanded.com/espanol/Arge … de-Trabajo

He can find a place to stay using searches like
argentina airbnb      for airbnb accomodations, or by city using Locanto, here for Buenos Aires:
https://buenosaires.locanto.com.ar/
He can rent a room, or if he can spend more money, an apartment.

And once there he can walk around and talk to people looking for work, the more the better.  He may not be able to find his ideal job right away, and maybe never.

I don't know what else I can tell you, except that if you have a plan coupled with determination and persistence, your chances of success improve.

Good Luck!

what would he have to do if he wanted to get more detailed information as far as like for example, which countries in latin america have the most dynamic economies?  where there would be the most job vacancies for someone who is only an employee and for people who are independent contractors?  lets say that not necessarily him but anyone else who wanted to move to either panama, belize, guyana, chile, wanted to secure a job, but how would they go about doing so?  would it be before they arrived in any of these countries or when they actually arrived at port of entry while in some major urban city?  it would seem like a daunting task to do everything single handedly!  rsvp.

In general, yes, it is a daunting task unless you have a specific scarce skill that is in high demand in your target country, that makes them seek you instead of the other way around... 

If he wants more detailed information - the internet and search engines are your friends.  Most countries have government agencies that are targeted towards increasing employment and keeping track of the job market, but they mostly concentrate on their own citizens.  Most of them have a web presence that you can find.

Often a company may need to get special dispensation to hire a foreigner instead of a citizen for the position, even if it's as a contractor and not full-time.  The rules and regulations vary from country to country.  You can often find the rules by searching the internet for each country's immigration authority web pages.  You should understand Spanish fluently (or the language of your target country) and how to use search engines skillfully for optimal results.

As far as the actual details of a hire it can be any one of a number of ways, all of those you ask and more.  Personally I would not travel to a country for a job unless and until I had a firm offer in hand that spelled out all the details, and I had accepted the offer.  Some people for many reasons may be inclined to roll the dice and just show up and seek work.

For job vacancies - good jobs are tough to find in most countries, whose economies are mostly not booming.  The internet and its search engines are your friends for finding out about a country's economy and job needs.   The links I gave you in my first answer for job vacancies, can be replicated for other countries, you just have to supply the right search terms.

If all this sounds too daunting to do yourself there are job agencies who, for a fee, will seek employment in a specific country for you.  This may work for some but it's also an easy way to spend money you'll likely never see any worthwhile results for.

Much of the task and research must be done only by you - people on a forum are happy to help if you have specific, targeted questions, not just general scattergun inquiries whose answers may be all over the landscape and still all be correct, depending.

Each person has to put together a plan specific to their situation that takes into account their skills and aptitudes.  But if you do a search for
how to get a job overseas
the many hits will provide you with lots of helpful links and hints.

The biggest resource you have besides the internet is yourself and your willingness to learn how to do what you need to get to your goal.  That's very general but that's the real answer.

but how can i know for sure which third world countries are the best in the sense that jobs are plentiful? what kind of research do i have to do in order to find preferably a third world country where jobs are plentiful to native and foreigners? someone told me that panama has one of the most dynamic economies in latin america, but what about belize and guyana???? how can i investigate this since i would only be interested in being an employee at best and not starting some business in a foreign country.....? how can i figure out which third world countries have the best economy markets in the sense that jobs are plentiful like in the united states? ive also heard that chile´s economy is really good and that jobs are also plentiful there.... how can i know if belize and guyana have jobs that are plentiful and not scarce???? how can i go about doing this kind of research???? seems like a daunting task to say the least!!!!! rsvp. thank you.

As we already covered, you have the internet to figure things out - short of travel to each and every country that's your best resource.  You can go by "someone told me" if you want but someone can tell you anything.  "I heard that..." isn't going to help you much either.

Plentiful jobs like in the United States?  As far as South and Central America, there aren't plentiful jobs like in the United States, at least not ones that pay well.  There are almost always low-paid, no-skill, menial, manual labor jobs available - if you want to live on $5-$10 USD per day or even less in a foreign country, that is.  That's why the USA still remains the magnet for job seekers both skilled and unskilled around the world who want to better their economic life.

As I mentioned most countries reserve what jobs there are, for their own citizens - they do not cater to foreigners looking for jobs, but have policies in place to take care of their own first.

Some expats do get by teaching English.  It can be done but often does not pay well.  If your skills and talents lie in that direction, go for it.

It sound to me like you are not understanding what I've already told you - you are asking the same questions over and over.  "How can I go about doing this kind of research" - I've already told you.  It starts with you making a plan of what it is you want and then figuring out how to get from your starting place to your end goal in a stepwise fashion, taking into account your marketable skills and what's available as far as jobs go in your target country.  Then, use the internet to find as best you can the answers, and also ask specific questions on various forums across the internet to get some answers - many of which will be biased or incorrect.  Sift through the answers to separate the wheat from the chaff.  YOU have to do this, no one can do it for you.

Why don't you look at the CIA World Factbook for data about each country, from which you can construct comparisons:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publication … -factbook/

"Is Costa Rica a good place to live?" Why, yes, replies the retired millionaire who owns a beautiful beachside condo there and when he is there for 3-4 months a year, has 5 servants to wait upon him.  But your friend born in Costa Rica says "No, it's not, that's why I want to leave and live in another country!"

Use the internet as best you can.  Ask specific questions in various forums - general questions will elicit general answers, that may or may not be applicable to you. 

Other than going to each country, that's what you can do to find out what you want to know.

PrivateMessage wrote:

can i ask you something, have you ever heard of fake marriages to immigrate to another country?  how are these type of marriages arranged just for the sole pupose of papers?  ive heard that a lot of people get married to foreigners just for papers.....  if someone who really doesnt have much skills other than working as a bricklayer, how else could they immigrate from lets say el salvador to panama, guyana, argentina, belize, chile, paraguay, ect......  any other god given third world country????????  if someone is only a skilled bricklayer it doesnt seem like a lot that they can give another country considering that there are plenty of other skilled workers in that country already!!!!  but what if they chose to become a self employed truck driver independent contractor instead of their bricklaying skills??????  if someone is a skilled bricklayer then how can they beat out other skilled bricklayers???  if they chose to become a self employed truck driver/independent contractor then that might give them an edge over other people who are simply employees, dont you think?  maybe an independent contractor employment position might open more doors than someone who is simply an employee, dont you think?  who do you think might have better possibilities of finding employment as a newcomer, an employee or independent contractor position????  i honestly would like to find employment in guyana, belize, or some other third world country but someone who is only an employee/independent contractor position at best.... between someone who is only an employee and an independent contractor who will prevail at landing a job????  lets compare an employee to an independent contractor/self employed person.  which of these two candidates will have a much better chance of getting hired?  lets compare an experienced bricklayer and a self employed truck driver, whom????  WERE JUST GETTING STARTED.  rsvp.

Seriously, I think you are better off staying where you are, until you can gain a better understanding of the world and life in it which you obviously do not possess as is evident by your repetitive and basic questions many of which are simply unanswerable.  Your skilled bricklayer could remain a skilled bricklayer all his life, or perhaps he could form a company that would eventually own and build half of Chicago and all of Bermuda.  How would I know?

its easier said than done.  well let me ask you this then so i can kind of clarify things for you.  lets take for instance panama.  i was able to find a company that hires independent contractor drivers but it was because someone helped me.  if they didnt help me i never would have found out about that particular company!!!!  what is really complicated is being able to find information that only people who are already living in guyana, belize, panama, chile, argentina, ect.....!  someone who was in panama helped me out in that case.  ive been trying to find online job boards for panama but with failure!  lets assume that i was in panama, guyana, belize, chile, argentina, ect.....  how can i find insider information or be guided in the right direction in finding their job banks for each country i.e. local newspapers, tabloids, ect......  this is the really hard part!  nothing is ever easy but this is just plain difficult because its like being in a maze!  trying to navigate i guess!!!!!!  rsvp

donaldbathe wrote:

how can i find insider information or be guided in the right direction in finding their job banks for each country i.e. local newspapers, tabloids, ect......

I explained this before.  In my first answer to you I showed the search terms and gave you a link, for jobs in Argentina.  Use that as a template for other countries.

If you want local newspapers in each country, for instance, for Colombia, you could search for
colombia periodico
...and you will get many hits linking to newspapers on-line in Colombia.  You could do the same for each country you are interested in, where Spanish is the language of the country.

Which brings us to another reason why you should stay where you are.  If you don't speak Spanish, realistically, you're not going to get a job in a Spanish-speaking country.  Without speaking Spanish your everyday life will be difficult and you will be a target for every crook and scammer, relying totally and only on the kindness of others.  You will find kind people, but you'll also find the other kind...

The first thing you need to learn, is how to use the internet to find things you want.  I've given you some examples including the search for "how to find jobs overseas" but you will have to progress on your own.

ok, let me ask you this then since you have more knowledge then me.  are you planning to move to colombia or something?  lets assume that you were in my shoes and that you had to do everything singlehandedly......  do you think that you could do it all alone literally????  with no help from anyone i mean?  do you feel confident enough that you wouldnt need the help of anyone to help you do it?  by the way, what is your interest in colombia?  the only reason why i brought up marriage is because its one of the easier ways to immigrate to another country where you have never been to, thats the only reason why i brought it up.  do you think that  youre up to the challenge?  im sorry if i have offended you but it was not my intention to do so.  im not trying to act as though i know more than you do, on the contrary i would like for somebody to be my protege and guide me along the way, does this make sense?  rsvp.

let me show you this, http://mudanzapanama.com/  i found out about it because i was on a forum about panama but if i hadnt been on that forum i would have never found out about it!  someone already living in panama told me about it.  rsvp with more details later.

donaldbathe wrote:

ok, let me ask you this then since you have more knowledge then me.  are you planning to move to colombia or something?  lets assume that you were in my shoes and that you had to do everything singlehandedly......  do you think that you could do it all alone literally????  with no help from anyone i mean?  do you feel confident enough that you wouldnt need the help of anyone to help you do it?  by the way, what is your interest in colombia?  the only reason why i brought up marriage is because its one of the easier ways to immigrate to another country where you have never been to, thats the only reason why i brought it up.  do you think that  youre up to the challenge?  im sorry if i have offended you but it was not my intention to do so.  im not trying to act as though i know more than you do, on the contrary i would like for somebody to be my protege and guide me along the way, does this make sense?  rsvp.

Actually, yes, I could do it on my own - and with a little help from my friends, too.  But I'm not really interested in any challenges such as you pose.  And, just a correction - you don't want somebody to be your protege, you want to be somebody's protege, if you want to be guided.

For one thing, I have some knowledge and understanding of the culture - I started speaking Spanish almost 60 years ago, living in Ecuador.  I am fluent.  I've been visiting Colombia since 1996 and have a Colombian wife of almost 18 years now.  My support group in Colombia is her large and extended family.  Plus, being retired, I have no desire to work in Colombia, or anywhere - Colombia is a great place to visit and live if you have the means and/or desire, but I would not want to work there.  Many people do, though.  And most of them make very little - but you can live in Colombia on very little, at least compared to developed first-world countries.

Tell me what your plan is.  Are you going to visit there first?  Or will you just stake everything on one roll of the dice and go without knowing anything?  Are you learning Spanish, or the language of your target country?  What is it that you are trying to do, specifically?

You could do a short stint at Minga House in Chinchiná, Colombia, where Glen Galindo has English teaching opportunities:
https://www.mingahouse.org/

donaldbathe wrote:

let me show you this, http://mudanzapanama.com/  i found out about it because i was on a forum about panama but if i hadnt been on that forum i would have never found out about it!  someone already living in panama told me about it.  rsvp with more details later.

So you want to move to Panamá?  Please post your questions in the Panamá forum for information:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=244

You do realize your link is just to a moving company, don't you?

i will get back to you because its been a busy weekend!  will get back to you on this coming saturday.  rsvp  thanks.

yes!  tomorrow sunday way more details!  rsvp

yes i do realize its a moving company.  why havent you replied back?  rsvp.

Why would you show me a link to a moving company in Panamá, in the Argentina forum?  Does it have some special significance to you?

because to be honest with you i was only relating to my friend who is from costa rica who wants to move to argentina.  it was an analogy only.  i was born in el salvador and now have i believe have narrowed down my search to two countries, chile and panama but even at that im still not sure how to get a feel for each country?  this is the tricky part like when you asked me if i was gonna just arrive and see what happened in the new country or if i was gonna plan things ahead of time?  look at this, https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2014/09/ … caribbean/
it kind of narrows down things but even at that the most hard part out of everything is that i have to assume that i would have a job offer before arriving!  you asked me what are my plans right?  i know that when i arrive in a new country i would like to have a job already in hand....  i want to plan things ahead of time since i still live with my parents.  when if i arrive in a new country whether itd be chile or panama, i want to have a job so i can continue working.  what im not familiar with in both cases for chile and panama is their job banks.  this is what i mean, when i was living in the united states, it was pretty easy to know what newspapers, online job banks, ect.........  for example, there is indeed.com,  careerbuilder.com, houston chronicle newspaper, jobsparx.com, ect.... but i only have this extensive knowledge about all of this because i used to live in houston texas before i got deported.  this is gonna be the really and i mean really hard part in having this insider knowledge that only someone who already lives in those countries would know.  like lets say jobsparx.com, i found out about them but they are in a magazine format.  dont assume that everything will be in online format, just dont!  jobsparx and the greensheet in magazine format are exclusive to houston.  periodicals will sometimes beat out online listings.  also like snagajob.com only someone who would more than likely have lived in the u.s. would know about them.  this part is the one that really kills me!  not having that hindsight is what makes things so much more difficult!  do you know where im coming from?  i can find online indeed chile and panama for their countries but im only scratching the surface!  i dont want to scratch the surface only and but dig thoroughly!!!!!!  i want to turn all stones like its the fbi/nsa/cia and all other government intelligence agencies on the globe hunting down usama bin laden!!!!  rsvp

Since as you say you've narrowed down your search to two countries, Chile and Panamá, I suggest you ask your questions in those forums.

Chile:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=515

Panamá:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=244