Looking for work in Buenos Aires...

I am an English woman who is planning to move to Buenos Aires in June 2010 and would be so grateful for any tips, guidance or advice that could be offered regarding possible job opportunities, the best places to start looking for jobs, Spanish schools, apartments...basically, anything at all that could be useful to a new person landing in a new city.

I have experience in teaching English but am very flexible regarding the kind of work I do. Anything that is open to native English speakers with only a basic grasp of Spanish (at this point) would be welcome.

I look forward to any advice that you might be able to offer.

Thank you.

Anna.

Here are some links that could be useful.

Link on teaching English in Buenos Aires: http://landingpadba.com/teaching-english-buenos-aires/

Link on working in Argentina: http://landingpadba.com/working-argentina/
(moderated)

Link on visas for Argentina: http://www.visasargentina.com.ar/migraciones.html

Good luck.

Hi Anna!

You will love BA, even though you'll be arriving in the winter! Keep in mind that the school year is from March to September so it might be difficult to get a full time teaching position. The one thing that the institutes require here is that you have a TEFL certificate - experience is not so important. If you don't have one, I would suggest an in-country one once you arrive - then you usually get some Spanish lessons and housing for when you arrive. In reality, after being her for 8 months, I've come to realize that the best jobs for expats are the ones you create for yourself! There are a lot of young, entrepreneurial people here, creating companies for the expat niche such as pub crawls, city tours, bike tours, you name it! I am trying to start up selling my pictures and greeting cards of the city, for example, but I've also been teaching English and working at a Spanish school (www.vamospanish.com) as well. I highly recommend the school for Spanish once you arrive!

Lastly, for housing, I recommend craig's list and  www.sparerooms.com.ar. My favorite areas are Palermo and Recoleta but everybody has their preferences. San Telmo is also very popular with expats!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Macala

Thank you so much for your response. Its so encouraging to hear that other people are successfully living and working...and loving Buenos Aires. I will definitely use the links you sent me and cant wait to get started. Macala, good luck with your business....maybe I will meet you there.

Thanks again....it really is appreciated.

Anna

Thanks and you're welcome, Anna!
Here are some of my pictures from BA and around the world! http://www.etsy.com/shop/photoorchard So far I am just selling the cards in BA but hopefully they will be up here soon, too!

Hi Macala,

The time is getting closer and I am planning to be in Buenos Aires around 27th June. I am getting a little nervous as my Spanish still leaves alot to be desired and I havent had much luck with the job search so far. However, I am hoping that both will improve when I am actually there. So, I was thinking of enrolling at Vamos Spanish school like you suggested to perhaps we will meet. I hope so. I looked at your photos and they are amazing...I hope business is good!

Looking forwarf to, hopefully, meeting you.

Anna

Hi Anna!

Wow, yes, you will be here very soon! Don't worry - I know it's hard to let that advice sink in, but really everything will work out. We should definitely meet up once you arrive. I'm always lookin to make more expat connections here! If you haven't found a place to live yet, a lot of people stay at a hostel for a few days and then go apartment searching, or you can use those websites I told you about. I think Spanish lesson when you get here are the way to go - maybe after you've had a few days to get settled. You can take the intensive classes (20 hours/week) and then go to job interviews in the afternoon. None of the institutes will respond to you until you are here so don't worry right now. Let's chat and/or meet up once you get here and I'll give you the low down on everything else!

Best,

Macala

I have been here nearly three years and it has been my experience that most people who manage to survive here for any length of time end up doing so by working for themselves.  As to teaching English, I know of no one who has managed to survive long here doing so.  Aside from the pay being rather low, the ability to find enough work has always been difficult but is getting worse. 

As to apartments, I find that Craigslist is probably one of the worst place to go to find one.  Most of the ads are placed by short-term apartment rental companies, and most of those are grossly overpriced.

I would strongly encourage you to avoid Palermo and Recoleta as they are already overrun by expats and tourists and the prices are horrible.  San Telmo is not particularly a good deal either and the crime there has steadily gotten worse, particularly over the course of the last couple of years.  Even my porteno friends are moving away from the area noting that everyone they know there has been robbed or has experienced an attempted robbery.

I personally do not mind San Telmo, but it can be a bit dicey as going one or two blocks in the wrong direction can take you to some seedy dangerous areas. 

The best thing overall, is to try to connect with some people who have been here long term, meaning years.  I find that all too often people here for less than a year, hell even a few weeks, are all over the internet on forums and on their own blogs handing out advice without the time required to be speaking with any sense of wisdom.

There are many groups here that host events and this will provide a great opportunity to get out and mingle with locals, long-termers and newbies. 

There are conversation groups that provide a great opportunity to work on your Spanish and to assist others with their English.  There are lots of language exchange possibilities that make paying high prices at language institutes a poor option.........

Most of all, just get out there and experience life in BsAs.  Don't take anyone's word for anything (especially mine, jaja).  Life is a subjective experience and better enjoyed without preconceived notions, particularly those of others.

p.s.  Since you are asking and receiving advice regarding services here I have a few additional tidbits for you.

As to temporary housing here until you can rent an apartment, I would not recommend hostels.  They are pretty pricey these days particularly for what you get.  [moderated: no ads for external groups pls].  There you can find a place or places to stay for free while looking for a more permanent place to live.

I would avoid most websites offering to rent spare rooms.  For one thing, you can do so for free on Couch Surfing.  For another, you can typically find a studio or sometimes even a one bedroom for the same price and often times much less........... no need to share a restroom, kitchen, etc. AND pay an exhorbatant rate.

I would also avoid language institutes.  I have yet to see one that is priced within the realm of reason.  You can find really good private tutors here for anywhere from 20 pesos to 50 an hour.  I personally know of university trained teachers who offer their services teaching Spanish with rates in pesos that are less than the dollar figures most institutes charge (for instance 20 pesos an hour versus 25 dollars an hour).

If you do have aspirations to teach English here, I know of dozens of institutes looking for native English speaker to work for them.  None of them require a TEFL certification....... another piece of inaccurate advise many offer.   

I teach English occasionally just for fun and have never had anyone even ask about certification.  An ability to be articulate and having a slight clue as to what is happening in the world is all that seems to be required.  I teach university professors, entrepreneurs, executives........ I have had institutes chasing me for years......... Personally I will never work for an institute, but that is another story...