Leaving Vietnam -Vietmanese Bank Account open-

Hello !

I will be leaving Vietnam in 3 weeks and for salary reasons, I cannot close my Vietnamese Bank account. I will be able to withdraw money from it whilst in Europe.
I was wondering what will eventually happen if I do not close my account? Will it just be frozen over a certain period of time  ?

Thanks !

Leave the bare minimum in there, it will eventually close due to lack of funds.

colinoscapee wrote:

Leave the bare minimum in there, it will eventually close due to lack of funds.

I think the OP wants the account to remain open and not close, or am I wrong?

I think if there are for maybe one year no activities on the bank account it will be blocked and after a further time it will be closed.
But that should be defined in the contract.

Well, the bank themselves should be able to answer your question.  Check with the customer service department.

in my experience with SacomBank, I tried to close my account in 2010 but it was a Saturday and the teller said that she would give me the balance minus some small amount (maybe 50k vnd?) and I would need to return on Monday to officially close it.

As I was leaving that day or the next, I just said never mind. When I was back in VN for a visit 3 or 4 years later, I checked and found that the account was still open. Although I now primarily use ACB, I still have that account at SacomBank.

Each bank has their own policy of inactivity account for certain period of time. Bank often has hotline to answer the customer's question. So you can contact to your bank and ask them about the inactivity account and fee applied if withdraw money from oversea.

Don't close it.. It may come in handy. I closed one I had in the UK and regret it now.