Bank transfer (local) from Vietnamese citizen to me (foreigner)

Hi,
I have a private bank account at Vietcom Bank since several years but Vietnamese citizen can not pay into my account. Does anyone know a bank in Vietnam that allows that? Thanks

GF transfers me money all the time to techom bank.

Thanks for that - may I ask from which bank your girlfriend has? Cheers

Shes with techom bank too

phikachu wrote:

GF transfers me money all the time to techom bank.

Are you sure.

The law states money can only be transferred with documentation supporting the deposit.

Is your gf transferring from within VN or externally.

I wasn't aware I was breaking any laws. She did whilst in UK with me too but yeah its her vietnamese bank account.

I was under the impression I can't make cash deposits into the account but can transfer from either my accounts in the UK or a local vietnamese bank account.

What would be the point of even having the account otherwise.

We're talking relatively small amounts, the most has been 18million.  This wouldn't flag as money laundering in the UK.

phikachu wrote:

I wasn't aware I was breaking any laws.

I was under the impression I can't make cash deposits into the account but can transfer from either my accounts in the UK or a local vietnamese bank account.

What would be the point of even having the account otherwise.

We're talking relatively small amounts, the most has been 18million. This wouldn't flag as money laundering in the UK.

I was referring to your gf transferring money into your account from within VN. You can transfer internationaly without any issues, but you said she is transferring money within VN.

Yes from inside vietnam. Against the rules? Maybe now that you've pointed it out. She can still do it with no checks.

Maybe the process is different between different banks. With techom you just need a customer id to pay other techom bank accounts and its instant. Maybe this avoids any questions asked.

phikachu wrote:

Yes from inside vietnam. Against the rules? Maybe now that you've pointed it out. She can still do it with no checks.

Maybe the process is different between different banks. With techom you just need a customer id to pay other techom bank accounts and its instant. Maybe this avoids any questions asked.

No,its the rule of the State Bank of Vietnam that money cant be put into a foreigners bank account without showing where it comes from. Im refering to a savings account, I think a debit card account is different.

Maybe ask your gf how she does it, i deposited into my brothers Techombank account and they made me reverse it.

Phikachu, what was the reply from your gf, interested to know how she is getting around the regulation.

We did talk about how she did it but she doesn't understand why there would be any problem. We only ever use internal techom bank numbers.

She last transferred me her life savings of 17.9 million VND then logged into my account 2 weeks later and cleared it out by transferring 18.3 million back to hers. She only transferred  me 200k to keep my account open when I complained. Just aswell it's in VND and we're all multi millionaires there. I don't think I'll be giving her my password to my UK accounts though.

phikachu wrote:

We did talk about how she did it but she doesn't understand why there would be any problem. We only ever use internal techom bank numbers.

She last transferred me her life savings of 17.9 million VND then logged into my account 2 weeks later and cleared it out by transferring 18.3 million back to hers. She only transferred  me 200k to keep my account open when I complained. Just aswell it's in VND and we're all multi millionaires there. I don't think I'll be giving her my password to my UK accounts though.

They may not have picked up on it because she is doing it online. The law is you cant deposit to a foreigner, but this is VN and the rules are interpreted differently from bank-to-bank.

When I opened the account in hanoi, she asked if I was working here and if I needed it for my salary. I said no and from the look on her face, she was like so whats the point, i said one day i'm going to transfer a desposit or money for an apartment or house and that if  i were to sell It and wanted to transfer the  money out of the country, I need to prove I originally trasnferred it from my UK account. Did my research ;).  She told me the rules that it was allowed but I wouldn't be able to put cash deposit into it. She did say that a local transferring into it for me would be allowed but maybe she was wrong about that.

I think that because it was a techom to techom  transfer they don't do the same checks so I got away with it.

My sister bought some land but didn't have a local bank account. She western unioned the money and now wants to sell but I wonder how shes going to officially get the money out of the country. She can't really. Thats why I decided to open an account.

I have accounts both at Vietcombank and OCB. I have had money transferred to me at both by locals dozens of times.  I have paid locals dozens of times from the accounts.  No issue. I do not understand why you would have problem.  FYI, I also transfer between my accounts with no restrictions.

RCrash wrote:

I have accounts both at Vietcombank and OCB. I have had money transferred to me at both by locals dozens of times.  I have paid locals dozens of times from the accounts.  No issue. I do not understand why you would have problem.  FYI, I also transfer between my accounts with no restrictions.

Paying locals is not the problem, transferring to yourself is also no problem. The state bank of VN is the one who made the law, but in VN the law is not always followed to the letter.