Protests in Budapest...

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Neither alert has actually said where the demonstration is.

Stay indoors lol

Got an alert from the US embassy, will be on Sat. in the 1st. district near the bridge.

fluffy2560 wrote:
klsallee wrote:

FWIIW, and regarding issues that need protesting:

I saw another low (really low ... as in almost scraping the tiles off roofs) flight of it seemed a C-17 (?) over my house, North Balaton, today. Probably from Papa Air Base this morning at 9:20 AM.

Why so low? Under radar? Trying to hide the flight?

Also noticed "issues"in Syria earlier this week. Related. I don't know. Draw your own conclusions.

Seen them flying over Balaton and different places down that way.  We're on the flight path for the Westerly approach for Budapest Airport.

Pht.

Papa air base is too far away for any need to fly at that altitude at the Balaton.

Similar issues  were reported before, by my wife and others, some year ago and actually caused a stir on some of the independent portals. The "excuse" from Papa was they were having "Flight day" and flying around some family members of the air base.

Yeah. Right.

Odd how those low flight days seem to co-inside with issues in mid east. Yes, I have been paying attention. The "official" reason I think is BS.

There is a topic to protest about. But does it happen? Nope.

But I am sure I am now on certain "watch lists" by bringing up this issue. ;)

klsallee wrote:

Pht.

Papa air base is too far away for any need to fly at that altitude at the Balaton.

Not too far if you are in a plane, just a few minutes.

But, yes, you're doomed now for bringing it up. 

If you've got a copy of Catcher in the Rye on your bookshelf as well, you might as well turn yourself in now.

fluffy2560 wrote:
klsallee wrote:

Pht.

If you've got a copy of Catcher in the Rye on your bookshelf as well, you might as well turn yourself in now.

Funny but probably true, I know my posts have been under investigation in the past, got the old knock on the front door but enough on that...
When we arrived at the airport this trip over to Vegas I was asked very quickly without time to think over my rights, to stand for a photo at the immigration desk.
After thinking it over I was like, WTF was that all about? I'm a US citizen and handed them my US passport with photo so why another photo?
Guess it's for the upcoming facial rec. coming soon to your airport!
Spoke with my bro yesterday who works at a major airline hub in SC.
I mentioned all the chemtrails sprayed here in Vegas and he said it was just condensation from planes... He must be an agent of the gov. or under their spell to not notice all the chems sprayed everywhere almost everyday.
Funny thing is he mentioned that I must be a Republican just because I mentioned chemical spraying in the air.
Back on subject, just read there will be shut-downs in Hungary in mid Jan.
No mention of what services will be affected, does anyone know? I'm guessing  transportation and perhaps most gov. offices?

fluffy2560 wrote:
klsallee wrote:

Pht.

Far enough to gain altitude. Seriously. This plane was scraping roof tiles.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Yeah, I know.

fluffy2560 wrote:

i have a secret weapon. A lot of wine in my cellar. Will get them all drunk, happy and make them my friends. Then they will arrest my neighbor. :D

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I mentioned all the chemtrails sprayed here in Vegas and he said it was just condensation from planes... He must be an agent of the gov. or under their spell to not notice all the chems sprayed everywhere almost everyday.

The American ag industry sprays enough chems from tractors. It does not need to spray them from planes. And it spends lobby money in DC to allow them to keep spraying such things at ground level without regulation.

And, even if planes were spraying something, it would be a complete and stupid waste of money. Too many unpredictable air currents at that altitude. The spray may stay aloft and end up in China or Russia before it hits the ground**. Only Republicans in government would OK funding for such a goofball, lacking any basic science and physics basis, project.... Or not fund agencies that would check up on and prevent such spraying.... :D

**But then again, maybe it is intended to land in China and Russia....  Hmmmm..... :/

Video report on the latest protest:

19 Jan 2018 Protests

Latest.....

....anti-government protest marches scheduled to take place in the capital Budapest on 10 February. Both marches will be held to denounce the government's policies during a major speech by Prime Minister Viktor Orban.

The first march will take place from 13:00 – 17:00 local time (12:00 – 16:00 GMT) and proceed from Heroes' Square to the National Assembly building while the second will take place from 14:00 – 17:30 local time (13:00 – 16:30 GMT) and proceed from Buda Castle to the National Court of Auditors office.

Although both actions are likely to pass without incident, elevated security and road closures are expected along the protest routes.

Travelers are advised to avoid the vicinity of ongoing demonstrations and anticipate associated disruptions.

Best to avoid those areas for sure unless you are a protester.
Sometimes innocent people get caught up in social unrest and get hurt without even knowing they have put themselves in harms way.
Like I mentioned in the past, my husbands first cousin was 17 years old and going to college in Budapest in 1956.
He had no idea that things were going down in the city when he walked innocently down a sidewalk and was shot in the knee by a Russian soldier.Actually a chicken sh** sniper with illegal exploding bullets.
Was rushed out by the Red Cross on one of the first of many transports to Switzerland.
Lost his knee, about 4 inches in height as well.
Has to wear one of the built up ortho shoes now.
He never set "foot" in Hungary again even to this day.
He is an old man now so looks like he may never visit his home again.

Latest...(also holiday Friday 15 March....)

.......in Hungary on 14 March should anticipate protests during a national strike by civil servants and public sector workers over a new labour law that increases the amount of overtime that employers can ask of staff to 400 hours a year.

Thousands have joined demonstrations in recent months over the so-called 'slave law', including outside the parliament building in the capital Budapest.

While demonstrations over the issue have been largely peaceful, they have caused disruption. All further gatherings should be avoided as a precaution and to minimise travel delays.

Bit late....

Hungary: Anti-government protests, general strike ongoing nationwide on 14 March

As of 14 March 2019 a general strike and related anti-government protests are ongoing nationwide. The demonstrations have been organized in opposition to December 2018 labor reforms. Early reports indicate roughly 8,000 civil service workers are participating in the strike. The size, scope, location and duration of related protests are unknown at this time. Travelers should anticipate localized delays to overland travel, avoid protests as a precaution and anticipate possible delays to goods and services for the duration of the strike.

and another one....

Hungary: U.S. Embassy issues Demonstration Alert regarding marches in Budapest on 15 and 16 March

On 14 March 2019 the U.S. Embassy in the capital Budapest issued a Demonstration Alert regarding planned marches in the city on 15 and 16 March. The demonstrations, which will take place in various locations over both days, will be held to commemorate the anniversary of the 1848 Hungarian Revolution.

Similar marches in previous years have been almost entirely peaceful, but resulted in elevated security deployments throughout Budapest as well as road closures.

Alert....

Hungary: Anti-government demonstration in Budapest on 27 April

An anti-government demonstration is scheduled to take place in the capital Budapest on 27 April 2019.

Demonstrators will gather at Kossuth Lajos Square at 17:00 local time (15:00 GMT).

Details regarding the expected size of the protest are unclear; however, a heightened security presence is likely.

:sleep

Hungary: Pro-EU demonstration planned for 19 May in Budapest

Demonstrators plan to gather in the capital Budapest on 19 May 2019 to promote the European Union and denounce nationalism in advance of the 23-26 May European Parliament elections*.

The action will take place at Szabadsag square from 16:00 – 22:00 local time (14:00 – 20:00 GMT), involving up to several thousand people.

While the event is likely to pass without incident, elevated security measures are likely near the square etc.

*if you knew they were going on - nothing around me showing they are happening next week.

Another:

Hungary: Political disruptions possible in Budapest ahead of mayoral elections

Political disruptions are possible in the capital Budapest following 26 June 2019 primary elections held by opposition parties for mayoral candidates.

Political rallies, events and demonstrations are possible throughout the medium term as candidates campaign for an election that will be held in October 2019.

Demonstrations are often held in public squares throughout Budapest, including Fovam Square, Kossuth Lajos Square and Szabadsag Square.

Political demonstrations can attract thousands of participants and cause localized disruptions. Clashes between rival political groups and security forces are possible.

Not really a protest....

Hungary: LGBTQ Pride celebration expected in Budapest on 6 July

On 6 July 2019 thousands are expected to participate in an LGBTQ Pride celebration in the capital, Budapest.

Participants are expected to gather for a march near Kossuth Lajos Square beginning at 15:00 local time (13:00 GMT), though at this time the march route remains unconfirmed.

A second gathering is currently scheduled to take place at the Budapest Park beginning at approximately 22:00 local time (20:00 GMT).

A heightened security presence and road closures are possible in the vicinity of the celebration. Individuals are advised to anticipate potential disruptions to traffic and transportation in the city.

Hungary: US Embassy issues Demonstration Alert for 1 March in Budapest

The US Embassy in the capital Budapest issued a Demonstration Alert for a march that will take place in the city on 1 March 2020. The event has been organized to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the election of former leader Miklos Horthy.

The demonstration will take place from 14:00 – 20:00 local time (13:00 – 19:00 GMT). Demonstrators will gather near Gellert Hotel in the Gellert Hill area before proceeding to the Parliament building in Lipotvaros. The Alert notes that the march's path passes directly in front of the embassy.

A counter-demonstration will take place near the gathering point of the event. Embassy officials advise those in the area to exercise caution and to monitor local media for updates.

Travelers should anticipate localized delays to overland travel and follow all directives of local security officials.

Hungary: Budapest: Plan journeys bypassing protest over changes to national curriculum on 15 March

Peoplein the capital Budapest on 15 March should plan journeys bypassing a protest organised by students from several academic institutions due to the risk of localised disruption. Participants of the demonstration will gather at 16.00 (local time) on the day outside the Hungarian State Opera to denounce the government's plans for an overhaul of the national curriculum. A heightened police presence around the demonstration is expected. The protest is expected to pass off peacefully, but it is likely to cause travel disruption.

Don't think this will happen because of the Coronavirus

Hungary:  Demonstration Alert regarding upcoming nationalist protests in Budapest 4-5 June

On 4 June 2020 the US Embassy in the capital Budapest issued a Demonstration Alert regarding upcoming nationalist protests in the city from 4-5 June.

The demonstrations are being held amid the 100th anniversary of the Treaty of Trianon, which many nationalists denounce due to the large amount of Hungarian territory it ceded. The Embassy has highlighted numerous separate actions in central Budapest. Protests on 4 June include a march beginning at the Batthyany Eternal Flame from 14:00 – 16:00 local time (12:00 – 14:00 GMT), a rally at Kossuth Square from 15:00 – 18:00 local time (13:00 – 16:00 GMT) and an overnight vigil at Szabadsag Square. On 5 June, protesters will march from Heroes Square to Szabadsag Square from 19:30 – 21:00 local time (17:30 – 19:00 GMT).

Additional details regarding the demonstrations – including their expected attendance – have not been specified. Nationalist protests often have a heightened risk profile and there is a potential for violent clashes between participants and counter-protesters or security personnel. Individuals should anticipate associated disruptions to overland travel and avoid all demonstrations as a precaution.

Hungary: Demonstration Alert for 7 June protest in Budapest

The US Embassy in the capital Budapest has issued a Demonstration Alert for an anti-racism protest expected in the city on 7 June 2020.

Participants will gather at Szabadsag Square in District V from 12:00 – 13:00 local time (10:00 – 11:00 GMT). Traffic disruptions, counter-protests and a heightened security presence are possible in the vicinity of the protest.

fluffy2560 wrote:

The US Embassy in the capital Budapest has issued a Demonstration Alert for an anti-racism protest expected in the city on 7 June 2020.

Participants will gather at Szabadsag Square in District V from 12:00 – 13:00 local time (10:00 – 11:00 GMT). Traffic disruptions, counter-protests and a heightened security presence are possible in the vicinity of the protest.

Yes, I get those alerts from the embassy.
I wonder if you could be deported if you attended any of these events?
Those rioters in the US are going to be in for a shock when the cops come a knockin'.
They are tracking people through their phones and with facial recognition.
Not my thing to protest, so far there are not many protests that interest me.
Maybe if they held one about unfair banking systems, chemtrail spraying or even 5 G, that may get my interest but probably not.
Old people have no business taking a chance of a mob gone wild on the sts.
Noticed something on the news about a senior aged man in the US getting knocked down by the police and his ear bleeding.
Well that's terrible but at his age he should know he isn't up to a fight or a riot.
Some people were bringing their children to protest then crying about tear gas in their eyes.
My SIL. the one married to my youngest sibling is very upset about this stuff in Ca. She is fighting online with her friends who are not taking it seriously.
2 of her 3 sons are half black from her first husband. She feels people do not fully understand how racist the world is.
Another Vegas friend posted photos of boarded up strip malls near their home in Vegas.
World gone crazy, I am glad to be in Hungary it is much more sane here right now no matter what the media is telling us about protests in the city.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Yes, I get those alerts from the embassy.
I wonder if you could be deported if you attended any of these events?
Those rioters in the US are going to be in for a shock when the cops come a knockin'.
They are tracking people through their phones and with facial recognition.
Maybe if they held one about unfair banking systems, chemtrail spraying or even 5 G, that may get my interest but probably not.
Noticed something on the news about a senior aged man in the US getting knocked down by the police and his ear bleeding.
Well that's terrible but at his age he should know he isn't up to a fight or a riot.
Some people were bringing their children to protest then crying about tear gas in their eyes.
My SIL. the one married to my youngest sibling is very upset about this stuff in Ca. She is fighting online with her friends who are not taking it seriously.
2 of her 3 sons are half black from her first husband. She feels people do not fully understand how racist the world is.
Another Vegas friend posted photos of boarded up strip malls near their home in Vegas.
World gone crazy, I am glad to be in Hungary it is much more sane here right now no matter what the media is telling us about protests in the city.

Moved to Politics

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Reply moved here:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … =2#4885608

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Maybe this person thought the issue was worth it. At any cost. Simple because you do not hold a passionate belief on a topic, does not mean others can not. And you should be careful judging others on their beliefs, simply because you do not agree with them.

Or in other words, from Matthew 7:1-6

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

klsallee wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Maybe this person thought the issue was worth it. At any cost. Simple because you do not hold a passionate belief on a topic, does not mean others can not. And you should be careful judging others on their beliefs, simply because you do not agree with them.

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Apart from the bible dressing it's just common sense to have some introspection.   

Old guy had the right to express his views and not be trampled on by the cops for it - who have been suspended without pay.  The entire contingent resigned from that riot squad in solidarity with the two suspended cops.  I understood Gov Cuomo called the old guy in hospital. Cuomo seems like he'd win hands down if he put himself up for election. I bet he tries for President in a few years.

I note also the cops attacking the two people in the car have been fired.  I did hear in an interview (lost the link) those cops would probably be hired by the surrounding counties very quickly. 

From cop shows I've seen I believe they would lose their pensions.  Not sure about that being correct.

klsallee wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

True, he might of really believed in his cause but what I should of  expressed is how the media made such a big deal about him being a senior and getting tossed to the ground. The police don't care who or what they damage in many situations.
I have never been abused by the police , was mad at a copper in Vegas when I had a car break down and my Korean friend and I walked to his parked car and asked him to drive by once in awhile to check on us because we needed the car to cool down for at least an hour before adding water and trying to get home with it. He just sort of smirked at us and drove off, real piece of work he was...
My brother, my younger bro has been hog tied by LA Country cops and more.
When I was a teen I was totally crazy in our small boring town. Used to party with a group of friends by hitching to the party house and taking whatever drugs were on offer. Took a few "reds" not my thing at all. passed out cold in the back of another friends Willy's Jeep. Police were shinning flash lights in my facde which woke me up. Not in a good mood about that, was swearing at them and mad. I calmed down and they sweetly told me my friend has crashed the Jeep into 3 US Mail boxes on the road while I was out of it. They hauled him off to jail but instead of calling my mother or taking me in, they actually drove me in the squad car back to my friend's very loud house party and said bye and have fun?...
Not sure to this day why I was treated with more then "white privilege" . Another time 3 of my friends and i were out right caught ditching school around noon and hitching on the freeway on ramp to get out of town. A squad car came and picked us up and drove us back to school. After the dean of girl's came out and expressed how disappointed she was with us both policemen looked at us and said they were sorry they took us back to school, they should of just left us be.
Not sure why the cops always were so super nice with me but I pray that never changes.

fluffy2560 wrote:
klsallee wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Apart from the bible dressing it's just common sense to have some introspection.   

Old guy had the right to express his views and not be trampled on by the cops for it - who have been suspended without pay.  The entire contingent resigned from that riot squad in solidarity with the two suspended cops.  I understood Gov Cuomo called the old guy in hospital. Cuomo seems like he'd win hands down if he put himself up for election. I bet he tries for President in a few years.

I note also the cops attacking the two people in the car have been fired.  I did hear in an interview (lost the link) those cops would probably be hired by the surrounding counties very quickly. 

From cop shows I've seen I believe they would lose their pensions.  Not sure about that being correct.

If you want to see an example of real police violence check  out the Story of Robert Leone on U Tube. Wow, and to think these devil cops are still on the job!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
klsallee wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

True, he might of really believed in his cause but what I should of  expressed is how the media made such a big deal about him being a senior and getting tossed to the ground. The police don't care who or what they damage in many situations.....

Good job the media is reporting this.  We wouldn't have known otherwise.  Free media is important to make sure transparency abounds.

But surely it all points to another problem.  They - the cops - are supposedly cops because the citizens allow them to be cops. Cops aren't self-appointed and appear in uniform spontaneously and earn income by absorbing it from the air.    They are paid out of the citizens' taxes. So there is an expectation of civil behaviour.

They certainly had no need to push  him to the ground.  He was clearly no threat to them at all - he wasn't packing and had his hands in front of him. 

They could have asked him to move on firmly but politely or just ignored him.   They shouldn't have pushed him so hard he was injured.

So he's a perfect example of having his rights trampled all over by ill-trained cops who could quite easily have solved it without the pushing and injury.

Also the fact that the other cop stopped the pushing cop from helping isn't going to help their case.  If they'd helped him immediately it would have looked more accidental.   I guess old guy will be suing the pants off the city - I doubt he'll get less than $5M for having his rights violated and receiving life threatening injuries.

There's another video going around where cops follow some guy home to his house then all jump out and point guns at his 90 year old grandmother who is standing outside the house with a walking stick. They then go up to her and she ends up on the floor somehow.  It's ridiculous.

I'm not sure what happened with the police over the years.
When we drove to Conn. from Ca. in the late 1960's my parents took us for a couple of days over to Penn. to visit my step-fahters siblings.
One the snowy cold road back to Conn. the Caddy  got a broken hose or something. It was a Sunday and no way to get it repaired. A Penn State patrolman found us on the side of the road, called it in and drove us all the way to the door of my aunties home in Conn. Hours each way.
That was public service.
On Maui in the 70's my crazy, Hippie surfer husband got pulled over with our beat up old Toyota.He had no papers on him, no insurance papers or anything. The cops just told him next time bring it all with him.
In fact when he got his first US driving papers they didn't even put a picture on the paper, this was for NY too, you'd think a big state like NY would post a photo. No, people were more trusting years ago.
My 2nd step-dad loved to drink on his weekends, crazy Irishman he was and all.
He has PTSD from his 2 POW experiences. Just a silly old man at this point in his life. Well he got so drunk once he just pulled his truck to the side of the road in front of someones house and got out and took a nap on their lawn.( Classy!)
The people were not afraid of him but worried so they called the police. After talking to him they just told him to relax and sleep it off where he was and then drive home and have a good day.
I doubt any of these things would happen now days, sort of sad, the cops used to be rather cool in the US.
My home town is still known as the home of all the first responders, For some reason police, firemen and EMT's all love living in that city.
Always was that way too. Never had any big issues with the police growing up, they used to drive us instead of taking us to lock up for doing dumb stuff.
My mother however was arrested in her front yard when she was 55.
My step-dad had passed away about one month before that. She had just gotten out of the hospital and had her breast removed. Almost died on the operating table too.
Still had 2 preteen children at home.
She went with her girlfriend to a restaurant/bar an American place called Howard Johson's, they served food and was a dinner house that played music at night with dancing. Not far from our house.
She drove her friend home and was going down a very quiet side st; to her house. Parked her car and was just opening her front door when a cruiser pulled in her driveway. They gave her a DUI test and took her away.
I was her phone call, had us go to the house to spend the night with my younger siblings because they wouldn't let her post her bail until the morning.
Mom was mortified to say the least, got strip searched and all. The female police that searched her were freaked out after seeing all her bandages from her operation, they just about told her they wish they hadn't arrested her.
Never going to get any police to say anything like that now days.

Bit out of date.....

On 24 July 2020 a large demonstration took place outside Prime Minister Viktor Orban's office in the capital Budapest in response to the firing of the chief editor of an independent news website.

Thousands of participants marched for nearly three hours to oppose the termination, which they say was the result of alleged government interference in independent media.

In another show of protest, nearly 80 of the editor's colleagues resigned. Lack of media freedom is a chronic issue in Hungary and has worsened during Orban's tenure. The country is frequently one of the lowest ranked European countries in terms of press freedom, and state-run or pro-state media is allowed to operate unchecked.

Hungary: Demonstration Alert for 22 August protest in Budapest

On 19 August 2020 the US Embassy in the capital Budapest issued a Demonstration Alert for an upcoming protest in the city.

A demonstration against the Budapest Pride Festival and the LGBTQ community will take place at Heroes' Square on 22 August from 14:00 – 18:00 local time (12:00 – 16:00 GMT).

I received this somewhat late from a corporate alert site....

Hungary: Protests against coronavirus-related measures held outside Parliament in Budapest

On 15 March 2021 protests against coronavirus-related restrictions occurred outside the Parliament building in the central part of the capital Budapest.

Protesters broke through a police cordon but dispersed peacefully when police began checking identification documents.

The protest was organized by the right-wing Our Homeland Movement and was attended by more than 1,000 participants. The protest followed increases in coronavirus cases and hospitalizations, as well as the establishment of coronavirus-related restrictions that closed most nonessential businesses. Hungary has experienced several other protests by service sector workers to lift the restrictions closing their businesses since the beginning of the year.

There is a heightened risk of civil unrest in the medium term due to public discontent with Hungary's public health restrictions and the worsening trajectory of Hungary's coronavirus infection rate.   

Don't like the sound of "worsening trajectory"

Something for that activist weekend you've been planning.....

Hungary: Protest to occur in Budapest 5 June

On 5 June 2021 a demonstration will occur in the capital Budapest to protest the construction of a Chinese university campus in the city. Participants will gather along Andrassy Avenue at 15:00 local time (13:00 GMT) and march to Kossuth Square. Gatherings are also expected to occur at Heroes' Square and outside the National Assembly.