Protests in Budapest...

Latest....

Hungary: Protests possible on 20 June amid vote on controversial anti-migration bill

Protests are possible in the capital Budapest and other cities on 20 June 2018 as the National Assembly votes on controversial legislation regarding migration. If passed, the bill would criminalize any activities by individuals or organizations that facilitate illegal migration. Opponents of the ruling Fidesz party have denounced the bill as undemocratic and repressive and may call for demonstrations against it, particularly at the National Assembly building in Budapest. Travelers are advised to anticipate the possibility of associated disruptions on the day of the vote.

I've finally found a good reason for me to protest in Budapest.
Read online that Budapest is planning on opening a Swim with the Dolphin's water park.
Out darn rageous!!!
What sicko though that up?
The time to protest and scream to the heavens is before they break ground for this upcoming horror show of abuse.
I do not know any further details at this time but as soon as I hear of any I will post about times and places to meet up to demand this inhuman animal abusing for profit business never sees the light of day.
If anyone finds out more info please let us know.
This is well worth seeing my name on the black list, some things need to be stopped at any cost.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I've finally found a good reason for me to protest in Budapest.
Read online that Budapest is planning on opening a Swim with the Dolphin's water park.
Out darn rageous!!!
What sicko though that up?
The time to protest and scream to the heavens is before they break ground for this upcoming horror show of abuse.
I do not know any further details at this time but as soon as I hear of any I will post about times and places to meet up to demand this inhuman animal abusing for profit business never sees the light of day.
If anyone finds out more info please let us know.
This is well worth seeing my name on the black list, some things need to be stopped at any cost.

Are you reading my mind or checking on my PC? 

I was literally just looking at a "swim with dolphins" trip! 

I thought, that's not so good.  I was somewhere else last week and was shown the "swim with dolphins" arena. Fortunately the dolphins were on "holiday" that day - I hope somewhere natural for them.

I think they are stopping the killer whales as Sea World so they've listened to that but obviously some people haven't got the message.  They still have zoos of course and circuses with animals in Hungary.

I could possibly support properly trained cats and dogs so long as they were all rescued.

I'm a wimp when it comes to animals, hate to see them unhappy or not in a good situation.
I could barely do the 6 day a week training for my dog but knew in the end it was in everyone's best interest.
As it was I could put him in isolation for one hour before each lesson as required in the training style I enrolled him into.
It was 3 hours a day 6 days a week of work.
Dogs, most of them anyways do somewhat seem to enjoy learning and making their humans happy but wild animals should be left alone in peace.
Protests in Paris, how very romantic...

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I'm a wimp when it comes to animals, hate to see them unhappy or not in a good situation.
I could barely do the 6 day a week training for my dog but knew in the end it was in everyone's best interest.
As it was I could put him in isolation for one hour before each lesson as required in the training style I enrolled him into.
It was 3 hours a day 6 days a week of work.
Dogs, most of them anyways do somewhat seem to enjoy learning and making their humans happy but wild animals should be left alone in peace.
Protests in Paris, how very romantic...

From what I'm reading the Paris protests have turned pretty violent and an 80 year old woman died after being hit in the face with a tear gas canister.  It's very similar to the fuel protests we had in the UK some years back.

I think at least Trump stopped the tear gas at the US border with the "caravan".   Bad PR for sure.

I was wondering if we'll see protests at CEU in Budapest because they've now been forced out.  I was thinking there would be some sanctions on OV as some US senators were commenting on the situation. But HU is a marginally relevant or even irrelevant place for the US so I don't think much will happen, considering the political alignment of Trump and OV (and their handler Putin) ;)

Hungary: Nationwide labor protests expected on 8 December

On 8 December 2018 nationwide labor protests are expected amid the government's review of a proposal that would increase the number of overtime hours allowed by employers.

A large workers union has called for the demonstrations and participation is expected nationwide, although the number of participants is unknown at this time. Details regarding the specific location and duration of the protests have not been reported.

A heightened security presence is possible, although violence is not expected.

Individuals are advised to avoid all large crowds as a precaution and to expect associated delays to overland travel.

I am not informed on the labor laws in Hungary.
Employers will try to get away with as much as then can if allowed to.
In NV there is a thing called,"right to work" which means you do not ave to give notice to quit but on the other hand the employer doesn't have to give you notice to either, they can just say collect your stuff and leave now.
In HU when my husband was a young man, actually a child of only 14, he went to trade school half the week and the other half was spent learning and working in a factory on the job under a master machinist.
He worked 10 to 12 hours a day 5 days a week with Sat. being a half day.
Often they were "informed" when they came into work that that day was,"special" and all their work and pay for the day was to go to N. Vietnam in support of their comrades!
No one dared protest or say boo about that scam.
What boils my blood is they do not give my husband any SS in Hungary for his 9 years of hard labor , he had to have put in 15 years at a min. No wonder we do not see tons of old men walking the sts. of Hungary, they all worked themselves to death and never collected a dime in SS.
He doesn't seem to car about it but it bugs the heck out of me, not fair at all, I doubt these days people work as hard on the feet for so little in return.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

....was,"special" and all their work and pay for the day was to go to N. Vietnam in support of their comrades!
What boils my blood is they do not give my husband any SS in Hungary for his 9 years of hard labor , he had to have put in 15 years at a min. No wonder we do not see tons of old men walking the sts. of Hungary, they all worked themselves to death and never collected a dime in SS.
He doesn't seem to care about it but it bugs the heck out of me, not fair at all, I doubt these days people work as hard on the feet for so little in return.

I bet it was 99% to the state for admin and 1% to the Viet Cong.  And hurrah for the VC.  No, not really.  The VC really needed some emergency HU paprika parachuted in, just for their jungle noodles.

Maybe your Hubby could take up his issues with the GoH (Government of Hungary), it's his money after all!  If he doesn't complain, he won't get!  And the GoH goes on its way believing "Everything is OK in Hungary-town"*

*Maybe I should start an abrreviation - EIOKIHT - "Everything is OK in Hungary-town"

Hungary: *Update* Trade unions to march in Budapest on 8 December

On 8 December 2018 trade union members plan to march in the capital Budapest as part of nationwide labor protests.

Demonstrators are scheduled to assemble at Jaszai Mari Square at 10:00 local time (09:00 GMT) and march to Kossuth Lajos Square until 13:00 local time (12:00 GMT). Multiple road closures have been announced including Szent Istvan (St. Stephen) Boulevard, Bajcsy-Zsilinszky Road and Alkotmany Street. In addition, public transportation services in the area are expected to be impacted.

Individuals are advised to adhere to the directives of local authorities, avoid large gatherings as a precaution and anticipate associated overland travel disruptions in affected areas.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

....was,"special" and all their work and pay for the day was to go to N. Vietnam in support of their comrades!
He doesn't seem to care about it but it bugs the heck out of me, not fair at all, I doubt these days people work as hard on the feet for so little in return.

I bet it was 99% to the state for admin and 1% to the Viet Cong.  And hurrah for the VC.  No, not really.  The VC really needed some emergency HU paprika parachuted in, just for their jungle noodles.

Maybe your Hubby could take up his issues with the GoH (Government of Hungary), it's his money after all!  If he doesn't complain, he won't get!  And the GoH goes on its way believing "Everything is OK in Hungary-town"*

*Maybe I should start an abrreviation - EIOKIHT - "Everything is OK in Hungary-town"

I wouldn't put it past the directors of his old job in the old days to just BS everyone and put the workday funds into some hidden box for later personal use.
My husband really doesn't care about it much, it was a long time ago and her hates to fill his mind up with negative issues.
It isn't all that much anyways it's more the principle of it to me.
I shouldn't complain too much , I really haven't worked that hard in my life and now I'm being paid to party and not work! Of course my SS is more like a beer party then a champagne brunch!

Just noticed a link about the HU protests, going from 250 overtime hours a year to 400 is sort of horrible.

Further to the trade union protests around the 8 December, there was another one yesterday. It's likely there will be more protests as there's considerable opposition to this latest "overtime banking" law.  Protests outside of Budapest are also expected - e.g. at large employers like Audi.

Hungary: Demonstrations near Dob Street prompt disruptions

On 12 December 2018 ongoing road closures and business disruptions have been reported near Dob Street in the capital Budapest following a large demonstration that took place in the evening hours.

The closures and disruptions come after demonstrations erupted in downtown Budapest following the allegedly fraudulent passing of a controversial bill in parliament earlier today. Reports indicate that there were clashes with security forces.

Demonstrations in the area have ceased at this time, but future incidents cannot be ruled out. Individuals are advised to avoid the area and to exercise caution in the vicinity of large crowds.

Latest alert....probably going to be a big one...

Hungary: Budapest: Expect, avoid further protests in coming days over controversial labour law, judicial reform

Updated: 14 Dec 2018 15:59 (GMT)

Members in the capital Budapest in the coming days should expect and avoid further protests against a disputed labour law and judicial reform.

On 14 December, in the third consecutive day of rallies, participants are due to occupy Kossuth Square for several hours from 17.00 (local time).

The previous day, demonstrators marched from Margaret Bridge to parliament building via Chain Bridge, severely disrupting the traffic along the route.

On 16 December, protesters plan to gather from 15.00 on Heroes Square and march towards Alkotmany Street.

I seem to always miss the protests in Hungary.
There was a semi-sort of riot another time I was away.
All good, I dislike the negative violence and hate that is generated.
I wonder if the local protesters will start wearing vests, what color will they chose?
Can't be copy-cats and wear yellow.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I wonder if the local protesters will start wearing vests, what color will they chose?

Oh they can wear yellow vests - compulsory equipment and easily available as they are in every car.  Relatively cheap too at Ikea. Shows solidarity and pan-European emboldening of protests.

I heard they were rioting.  Some reports on Euronews I saw showed a large heaving crowd on the parliament steps and possibly the cops spraying people with pepper spray or maybe even CS gas. 

Strange actually OV  arranged a new parliamentary guard unit and parallel courts just before he got that labour law through.  Must have been expecting trouble.  He's trodden on his electorate though this time.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

So when I want to visit, I just have to send you out of the town lol

SimCityAT wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

So when I want to visit, I just have to send you out of the town lol

Funny! I do seem to always miss the fun stuff.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Funny! I do seem to always miss the fun stuff.

Apparently  there are Yellow Vest protests in Canada as well now!

Only a short trip if you need your Yellow Vest fix!

another one.....

16 Dec 18

An activist group is scheduled to rally in Budapest on 16 December 2018 to protest against a number of government policies. Members of the Democratic Coalition (DK) are slated to gather near Heroes Square at approximately 14:45 local time (12:45 GMT). Additional details regarding the rally are not available at this time, though a heightened security presence is expected in the vicinity.

Individuals are advised to avoid large gatherings as a precaution and anticipate associated overland travel disruptions in affected areas.

fluffy2560 wrote:

another one.....

16 Dec 18

An activist group is scheduled to rally in Budapest on 16 December 2018 to protest against a number of government policies. Members of the Democratic Coalition (DK) are slated to gather near Heroes Square at approximately 14:45 local time (12:45 GMT). Additional details regarding the rally are not available at this time, though a heightened security presence is expected in the vicinity.

Individuals are advised to avoid large gatherings as a precaution and anticipate associated overland travel disruptions in affected areas.

It appears that the world is ready for changes.
Protests going on in several countries at once.
Been watching some independent news coverage from France.
If they had guns there things could be even allot more dangerous.
I hope to never see anything so violent in Hungary.
My husband was only 9 when he witnessed events unfold right where he and his 10 year old bro were playing near the Danube on the Pest side.
After seeing a Russian tank run over and crush a young female protester they ran home and didn't go outside for a long while.
Their mom placed them down in the cellar for safety.
It takes allot of abuse to finally make people snap and revolt, not sure how far people who protest are willing to go, once it snowballs into a riot there is no turning back.
Hate to think what could happen in the US if people finally get their fill of abuse, taxes, unfair practices etc. Many here have serious weapons and that thought alone is enough to make me crawl under the bed covers and never get up.

My thoughts and prayers are will the yellow vests in France.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

...........It takes allot of abuse to finally make people snap and revolt, not sure how far people who protest are willing to go, once it snowballs into a riot there is no turning back.
Hate to think what could happen in the US if people finally get their fill of abuse, taxes, unfair practices etc. Many here have serious weapons and that thought alone is enough to make me crawl under the bed covers and never get up.

My thoughts and prayers are will the yellow vests in France.

The Yellow Vests (YVs or more properly the "gilets jaunes") have got $10 billion out of Macron. Maybe with Xmas coming up, it'll start to fizzle out as people get diverted onto matters closer to home. Government must be praying for cold and rain to keep people off the streets. 

The YVs have suddenly become a world wide symbol of every kind of grudge the people have against institutional policies.  But what exactly is their manifesto?  No-one actually  knows.  It's basically everything some group disagrees with.

But anyways, I heard 10,000 were on the Budapest streets yesterday in a trade union protest on the labour law.  That's not huge but it's quite a good turnout for the protestors considering the cold weather. 

Amazing how it all blew up so quickly although the Labour Bill had been around for sometime.  Bit like the YVs being a kind Arab Spring type thing and a seething disgruntlement under the  surface.  Highly volatile but hardly likely to turn into 1956 (I hope - sorry to hear of Mr Marilyn's experiences).

Over there, even Trump is on the wane now Cohen has implicated him. It looks like people are finally  becoming more aware they are being manipulated.  Erdogan (President of Turkey) is now using Soros to blame for everything but that's looking such a lame excuse now, the fella has missed that boat - implausible fashion for blaming Soros for everything is a boat that's sailed sometime ago.

BTW, looks like some MPs tried to protest in MTV (State Broadcaster), looks filmed by former PM candidate.  See here: MPs in TV station over Labour Law

My first cousin has been sending me allot of links about the events in France.
They do actually have a manifesto but the main stream media is only letting a tiny portion of it out .
Actually  they are also tired of supporting the immigrants who are not working or trying to fit into French society among other issues.
I do not blame them on that at all.
In the US we have the same BS S. of the boarder, taxes for schools etc. which are half full of non tax payers children.
Medical system that is nothing but long wait times due to people who will not  pay or paid nothing into the system but run the runny  nosed over sugared kid to the doctor every two mins because it's free for them. Many illegals here get a bun in the oven and come here to give birth, they never marry so they are single mom's with many needs all the while their men are with them and working under the table but not paying taxes, they are much better off then your average hard working middle class US citizen. They all drive brand new trucks and fill up the shopping carts for free with food stamps. Average payout for that is something like a over $300. plus per month for a single mom with 2 kids, plus extras if the kids are under 3 for milk and other items. A average US family of 3 could use those funds as well but they do not qualify because the father is in the house.It's all a scam with the US taxpayer holding the bag.
My first cousin used to march several times a year in D.C. for  AIM.

American Indian Movement.
Tried to get a few native leaders released from prison to no avail, Russel Means and some others.
Sadly no one really got anywhere with that, not like Mandela getting out in S. Africa.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

My first cousin has been sending me allot of links about the events in France.
They do actually have a manifesto but the main stream media is only letting a tiny portion of it out .
Actually  they are also tired of supporting the immigrants who are not working or trying to fit into French society among other issues.
I do not blame them on that at all.
In the US we have the same BS S. of the boarder, taxes for schools etc. which are half full of non tax payers children.
Medical system that is nothing but long wait times due to people who will not  pay or paid nothing into the system but run the runny  nosed over sugared kid to the doctor every two mins because it's free for them. Many illegals here get a bun in the oven and come here to give birth, they never marry so they are single mom's with many needs all the while their men are with them and working under the table but not paying taxes, they are much better off then your average hard working middle class US citizen. They all drive brand new trucks and fill up the shopping carts for free with food stamps. Average payout for that is something like a over $300. plus per month for a single mom with 2 kids, plus extras if the kids are under 3 for milk and other items. A average US family of 3 could use those funds as well but they do not qualify because the father is in the house.It's all a scam with the US taxpayer holding the bag.
My first cousin used to march several times a year in D.C. for  AIM.

American Indian Movement.
Tried to get a few native leaders released from prison to no avail, Russel Means and some others.
Sadly no one really got anywhere with that, not like Mandela getting out in S. Africa.

There's a lot in your posting but don't believe  everything you hear.

In my own country, they continually blame migrants for all the country's ills.  They want to deprive people of educational, social and health care needs because they are illegally in the country.

But actually the law there says that children must attend school (that's compulsory, regardless of status) and if someone has TB or some other  communicable disease, they need treating because it's a public health emergency that threatens everyone's health.  People cannot be left to die and rot in the streets.  There would be a high level outrage at that.  I expect the laws in the USA are somewhat similar to my own country. 

The death of the 7 year old girl on the US border last week, possibly from dehydration and alleged lack of care by border cops and other stuff like  various courts' tendencies to halt Trump's policies are showing the wind is starting to go somewhat in the other direction. 

Having just come back from the Caribbean, what I saw was wealth inequality - people on the breadline and others driving around limos. Whenever there's  massive inequality  people are going to be disgruntled, migrate, complain and so on and look for scapegoats.

It's sad what supposedly happened with that little girl at the US boarder.
Of course her parents are not to blame for dragging her half way around S. America and I personally think she must of had other health issues because even a 2 year old in the US knows what aqua means.
I don't think the boarder guards allowed her to suffer on purpose.
I'm sure the officials in Mexico would of admitted her into hospital if her parents bothered to inform them, Sounds a bit to me like they used this as some sort of propaganda to make the US seem heartless. Who knows what really was going on, if a child is about to die like she did there would be sign something was wrong long before she passed away within 24 hours.Still sad news and her parents are really part of the problem.

I've also read that some protesters in Hungary aren't even Hungarians, they have imported them to add to the numbers, Just something I read can't back that claim up although I wouldn't be surprised if it's true.

Several years ago we asked a group of illegals hanging outside a DIY store in Vegas how much per hour to help us move .
This was about 20 years ago, they wanted $10. each per hour with no taxes being paid when at the time the USMin. wage was $7.50 with taxes coming out for a legit worker.
That's the sort of things that get under the working man's( women's) skin and cause resentment.
Of course we didn't hire these people, just wanted to now if breaking our backs moving alone was worth it or not, it was.

It's not like I do not understand what being a immigrant is.
My husband and my father and his family were all immigrants.
I'm one now in Hungary as well.
The difference is we did it legally and followed the laws.
ATM I am a bit upset with US immigration services.
Tried phoning them up yesterday, will have to keep trying.
We have already pre-paid as requested over $900. for my DIL's US citizenship .
Been waiting over 5 years.
If it doesn't happen soon we may forfeited the funds, all for nothing.

Yet another one:

Hungary: Anti-government protest planned for 21 December in Budapest

On 21 December 2018 an anti-government protest is scheduled to take place in the capital Budapest. Reports indicate that the protest is scheduled to take place at Kossuth Lajos square near the national parliament building from 18:00 – 21:00 local time (17:00 – 20:00 GMT). At least 1,000 participants are expected to attend; similar protests in recent days have attracted thousands. An enhanced security presence in the area is likely. Travelers are advised to avoid all demonstrations and monitor local media for updates.

I always wonder to myself where do all these protester go when their allotted time is over with..., do they just fade off into the sunset or go to a fbar and unwind a bit?
Or perhaps they do some last min. Xmas shopping?

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

It's sad what supposedly happened with that little girl at the US border.
Of course her parents are not to blame for dragging her half way around S. America and I personally think she must of had other health issues because even a 2 year old in the US knows what aqua means.
I don't think the border guards allowed her to suffer on purpose.
I'm sure the officials in Mexico would of admitted her into hospital if her parents bothered to inform them, Sounds a bit to me like they used this as some sort of propaganda to make the US seem heartless. Who knows what really was going on, if a child is about to die like she did there would be sign something was wrong long before she passed away within 24 hours.Still sad news and her parents are really part of the problem..

Probably she did have other issues but we don't know that for sure.

Anyway, dehydration would cause confusion and besides kids aren't very good at diagnostics.  And as we all (should) know with kids, they cannot always communicate what is wrong like an adult.  Her parents are probably uneducated so it's a bit disingenuous to suggest they are to blame for not knowing the basics of medicine. They may not have had the benefit of a developed country education.  They were doing what they thought best for the survival of their family as anyone would under pressure.   They probably thought they had no choice.

I believe from reports, the border guards were informed she was vomiting on the bus but they decided to take her 90 miles away.  Even though they were illegals they are human beings, they do have human rights and an entitled to basic care directly at the border including water. 

In some places, like Africa, you can never ever refuse people water.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I've also read that some protesters in Hungary aren't even Hungarians, they have imported them to add to the numbers, Just something I read can't back that claim up although I wouldn't be surprised if it's true....

I think they bused them in from Poland previously to swell numbers.  To show solidarity.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I always wonder to myself where do all these protester go when their allotted time is over with..., do they just fade off into the sunset or go to a fbar and unwind a bit?
Or perhaps they do some last min. Xmas shopping?

They get on the bus and go home!

Yet more protests........traffic issues in Heroes Square and on march route etc.

"...should avoid all protests against an amended labour code that came into effect on 1 January. At least 14 demonstrations are planned until 7 January in various urban centres.

On 5 January in Budapest, a march will be held at 14.00 (local time) from Heroes' Square to Kossuth Square. Another protest is planned in the capital at 12.00 on 7 January at 5-7 Szinhac Street....

Details of some of the planned protests are as follows:

•    3 January: From 17.00 at Dugonics Square in Szeged (Csongrad county)
•    4 January: From 17.00 at the Domus departmental store on Szurcsapo Street in Szombathely (Vas county)
•    5 January: At 18.00 at 20 Piac Street in Debrecen (Hajdu-Bihar county)
•    5 January: At 17.30 on Szabadsag Street in Cegled (Pest county)
•    5 January: From 15.45 at Kossuth Square in Hodmezovasarhely (Csongrad)

Labour unions and opposition groups have denounced the code, which, among other things, increases the number of overtime hours. Protests are likely to persist in the coming days and weeks.

Gatherings in Budapest are likely to be better attended than elsewhere in the country. Clashes between protesters and the police are possible during demonstrations, posing incidental risks to bystanders.

During a related protest on 16 December 2018 in the capital, the police used tear gas to disperse demonstrators attempting to storm the state-run television station MTVA office
".

Latest:

Hungary: Opposition groups to protest in Budapest on 5 January

On 5 January 2019 opposition groups plan to stage a large protest in the capital Budapest to call for the repeal of a controversial labor law. Thousands of participants will gather at Heroes' Square at 14:00 local time (13:00 GMT) and subsequently march to Kossuth Square. While the action is likely to pass peacefully, police have used tear gas during past demonstrations over the same issue. Further actions against the legislation, including strikes, are likely in the near term. Individuals are advised to anticipate road closures and other disruptions along the protest route and avoid large crowds as a precaution.

and

Hungary: Anti-government protest expected on 7 January

On 7 January 2019 anti-government protests are expected outside of the Prime Minister's Office in the Vizivaros neighborhood of the capital Budapest. Demonstrators are expected to gather at 12:00 local time (11:00 GMT) and will rally until 13:00 local time (12:00 GMT). Anti-government protests in Hungary continue to call for the resignation of Prime Minister Viktor Orban's resignation. The exact size of the upcoming demonstration is unknown at this time. Protests have largely been peaceful, however clashes with security forces have been reported. Travelers should avoid all large crowds and follow directives of local security officials.

Last Updated: 06 Jan 2019 04:32 (GMT)

...Those in urban centres over the coming days should continue to anticipate and avoid protests against a controversial amended labour code, which came into effect on 1 January. A related protest has been planned from 12.00 (local time) on 7 January on Szinhaz Street in the capital Budapest.

Additionally, a national march has been announced for 19 January; trade unions have also called for a strike on the day.

A previous protest on 5 January from Heroes' Square to Kossuth Square in Budapest was attended by more than 10,000 people and passed off peacefully.

Labour unions and opposition groups have denounced the code, which, among other things, increases the number of overtime hours. Protests are likely to persist in the coming days and weeks, with related gatherings in Budapest liable to attract the largest attendances. Scuffles between participants and the police are possible during demonstrations, posing incidental risks to bystanders.

Last Updated: 14 Jan 2019 12:29 (GMT)

Those in urban centres should continue to anticipate and avoid protests against a controversial amended labour code, which is opposed by labour unions and opposition parties.

Demonstrators in the capital Budapest on 18 January are reportedly planning to disrupt the city's metro system, specifically the M2 (red) line, and one should anticipate disruption to such services on the day.

A national march is also scheduled for 19 January; participants in Budapest will gather at Clark Adam Square, near the Chain Bridge, from 15.00 (local time), and reports indicate that related events could entail the erection of roadblocks.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Those in urban centres should continue to anticipate and avoid protests against a controversial amended labour code, which is opposed by labour unions and opposition parties.

Avoid?

Heck with that.

I recommend joining in. :D

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Avoid?

Heck with that.

I would avoid any protests like the plague unless I had a personal stake in the outcome.
My husband's cousin was 17 in 1956 and was 100% unaware of what was going on nearby where he was walking.
He was shot in the knee by a Russian sniper and it changed his entire life.
He wasn't even part of any protests.
A couple years back on a major blvd. near our flat in Budapest we just happened to go out for one of our weekend walks.
Found ourselves walking in a large group of people that stretched down the entire st.
Finally we just turned off onto a side st.to get away from everyone.
Thought we do not need to get our photo taken as protesters when we had no clue what was really going on and could honestly care less.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Avoid?

Heck with that.

I tend to agree with Hungarians protesting but I was trying to be neutral in line with the way the message was phrased to me.  I edit them a bit to remove Fluffy specific information.   

BTW, Bernadette is again protesting at MTV. I think she's sleeping in the lobby or something as a protest.  Apparently they've had a camera on her all day.  Mrs Fluffy told me.

Latest demonstrations:

British Embassy: Political demonstrations are expected at multiple locations across the city of Budapest on Saturday 19 January; road transport is likely to be severely disrupted; you should avoid all political demonstrations, monitor the media coverage of local events and be aware of your surroundings at all times

U.S. Embassy: The U.S. Embassy in Budapest has released a Demonstration Alert regarding a 19 January 2019 protest that is being held in the capital Budapest. Embassy officials have noted the demonstration is political in nature and will take place from 15:00 - 22:00 local time (14:00 - 21:00 GMT). The embassy has confirmed that the demonstration is registered with local authorities and law enforcement will be present at the venue. Further details in the Demonstration Alert point out that while the protest is not expected to become violent, similar recent protests have resulted in low-level clashes between protesters and security forces. The embassy advises those in the area to exercise caution and to monitor the local media for updates.

Neither alert has actually said where the demonstration is.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Stay indoors lol

FWIIW, and regarding issues that need protesting:

I saw another low (really low ... as in almost scraping the tiles off roofs) flight of it seemed a C-17 (?) over my house, North Balaton, today. Probably from Papa Air Base this morning at 9:20 AM.

Why so low? Under radar? Trying to hide the flight?

Also noticed "issues"in Syria earlier this week. Related. I don't know. Draw your own conclusions.

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Stay indoors lol

That's all fake news.

You have to stay indoors AND hide under the table preferably wearing an NCB suit.   And don't forget to fill up the bath.

Make sure your Brexit Box is prepared too.

klsallee wrote:

FWIIW, and regarding issues that need protesting:

I saw another low (really low ... as in almost scraping the tiles off roofs) flight of it seemed a C-17 (?) over my house, North Balaton, today. Probably from Papa Air Base this morning at 9:20 AM.

Why so low? Under radar? Trying to hide the flight?

Also noticed "issues"in Syria earlier this week. Related. I don't know. Draw your own conclusions.

Seen them flying over Balaton and different places down that way.  We're on the flight path for the Westerly approach for Budapest Airport.  During the summer if we're on our balcony it's every 10 minutes one comes over at perhaps 8000 ft.  We monitor them on flightradar24.com just for interest - you can actually catch Air Force One sometimes - people have even seen it. 

On our side of the Duna,  it's all VFR (Visual Fight Rules) up to about 2000-3000 ft as far north as Esztergom.   We get all sport planes and sightseeing doing North up the river plus the emergency helicopter.  They all come from Budaors Airport.  But as soon as the cross the Duna, they are into the Budapest air traffic control.   

When I was working in Romania 10+ or so years ago and we used to see the rendition flights (they looked like them anyway - same kind of plane reported at the time).