Changing the heating system for my flat in Budapest

Hi! I would like to change my heating system from gas to air conditioning. Would anyone know which shops offer the best prices please? Thanks

borggrechcaroline wrote:

Hi! I would like to change my heating system from gas to air conditioning. Would anyone know which shops offer the best prices please? Thanks

You need a professional installer, not a shop.  And get quotes.

You mean you want an air based heat pump.  This is OK down to about -15 C.  It's not very good for always on background heating as the fans are running all the time.  We use ours for "shoulder" periods for short bursts of heating - Spring and Autumn. It's quite good and efficient but obviously needs electricity.  If it's not on, it'll get cold quickly as it's basically a big fan heater.

It also have external units which might be an issue with the external look of your apartment  and could need permission of the building managers.  Depends for how many rooms etc.

The actual units are quite cheap, under EUR 1K per room installed (my price suggestion is from 5 years ago adjusted) but it needs technical consideration for sizing, position, type etc.  You may also need a condensate pump to connect to your drainage.

You might want to consider keeping the gas heating and using the heat pump for occasional use.  There's also the hot water to consider - gas or electricity. Air based heat pump won't heat water only the air.

Not very relevant but in houses in Hungary, it's best to have multiple sources of heating - electricity and gas or wood and gas or electricity and wood etc.   Just in case one is not working.   We have all three in our house - gas, wood and heat pump.  Worst case with an arctic -20 C blizzard and no electricity would mean we would shift to wood only.

Thank you so much for your advice. It was very helpful :)

Regards

Caroline