Which route to drive in a van?

Hi everyone,

We are driving over from the uk. This time in a Transit van, we have crossed Serbia in a car before and had no issue at either border but we have been warned that we may have issues with taking a van. Someone mentioned we may need a full inventory for customs! If that is the case we may just stick to Romania... though the Serbian route is so much easier!

If anyone has any experience of crossing into Serbia in a van full of personal belonging your input is greatly appreciated.

:-)

Hi Laura

Have a read up on this past post > https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=573830

I hope it answers your questions you may have.

Hi Laura.Avoid Serbia, my other half flew home to pick up a car and decided it would save time getting home via Serbia.He ended up taking 4 days instead of the 3 days it took us with the van full of stuff to get here through Romania. We avoided Serbia because of the dogs, so he thought as he was on his own it would be ok. They asked for all documents and he was there for 5 hours as they don't understand DVLA and want the rest of the document. He couldn't make them understand that in Britain all we need is a log book.He said NEVER AGAIN.So take the long route, doesn't cost much more in fuel but saves time.We went down to Croavia then across to Alexandria, re navigating the SAT NAV to Ruse just before we got there.Dont forget when you enter Austria you need a vinyette (road tax) but if you get it when you get to the nearest services you will be okay. It cost us about £300 in fuel with an Iveco Daily XLWB.With the vinyette's and food all in was roughly £400-450.Germany is the longest country to get through and they are the worst if you break down.Make sure you know what your European cover is to the finest detail otherwise it is useless, as was ours with Swinton,being stuck in a petrol station car park for 2 weeks was no fun.Having said that, it's the best move we ever did.The sun is nearly always shining, the people are fantastic and you will love it

If you need any more info feel free, Mandy

If you need any more info feel free, Mandy

Wow!

Thanks so much Mandy. Amazing information, we have done the trip twice so far this is the thrid time in a month!!! We did Serbia the first time in a car and didn't have an issue (we may have got lucky it seems!) and our Sprinter motorhome throught Romania last time. Upon your advice we will do Romania again. Thanks for the up to date info. :-)

Also thank you SimCityAT, i did try searching but obviously my ability let me down. It was indeed useful and much appreciated.

Thanks again all. :-)

Your welcome Laura.This was only last week so very up to date.Thought my hubby was going to explode when he got here.Im surprised he didn't get locked up in Serbia lol They aren't the best or we'll informed customs. Told him our 2001 freelander was too old to be in Serbia and Bulgaria. Can't speak for Serbia but the 40 yr old Lada's I've seen on the road here in Veliko Tarnovo say different lol.Oh if you park up in any town, make sure you pay the people in hi-vis vests or they love to remove British plates.Reg vehicles in Bulgaria don't seem to have the same problems.Ask as many questions, no matter how small or irrelevant and you will be fine

By the way Laura, you have 90 days to register in Bulgaria.Its a pain but carry your passport and driving licence with you if you nip to the shops in the car.Saves an on the spot fine and from what I can gather it varies from individual officers that stop you.We haven't been stopped yet but I would rather be prepared.Saying all I have, the trip is a ball ache but when you get here its a ball. Bring loads of tea bags with you!!!