Work Visa Expired - Help

Hey Guys,
My work Visa will expire at the end of August. I wanted to make an appointment to renew it in Quito but all dates this year are already taken. Unfortunately, I found one online in Guayaquil, but it is in September. I now was told I could have done one in Tena, however, Im unable to cancel the one in Guayaquil.

Any recommendations how I can solve this problem? Can I call and cancel the appointment in Guayaquil? If not, is it a problem to over stay my visa, in which case what should I do then?

Best regards and Thanks for any help!

Dear Nicola,

Welcome to the Ecuador forums of expat.com ....

Work visas in Ecuador are based on a written contract between the worker and an Ecuadorian employer .. such contract having been formally endorsed by La Cancellería.

You should have the legal department or the attorney who handles contracts for your employer assist you in extending your work-based visa.

If you post again, please answer...

1.  Do you have a current contract that was accepted by La Cancellería?

2.  Have you sought assistance in the visa extension matter from your employer?

3.  Have you secured verbal or other confirmation that your employer wants your continued services beyond August?

cccmedia

Nicolaj90 wrote:

Can I call and cancel the appointment in Guayaquil? If not, is it a problem to over stay my visa, in which case what should I do then?

Yes, it's a problem -- at least a potential problem -- to overstay an Ecuadorian visa.

Historically, the penalty is to prohibit the overstayer from returning to the country for 9 months or longer.

To protect yourself, take the steps I related above .. keep a diary with specific dates showing your ongoing efforts to do the right thing .. and email, snail mail (with return receipt) and/or otherwise contact La Cancellería (website www.cancilleria.gob.ec) showing how you and your company are attempting to keep you on .. past August.  If possible,, show up at the ministry's Quito offices.

If you need your own lawyer in Quito or the coast, contact mine, Sebastian Cordero, scordero(at)rcpabogados.com

-- cccmedia