moving from the uk to the netherlands

Me and my boyfriend are looking at moving to the Netherlands for 6 months to a year, we have done slight research and have come across a lot of different things telling us different rules ect. We are a bit stuck and could do with some friendly advice/help on where to start?

-what sort of visa's do we need to apply for?
-where's the best place to look for rent?
-are we going to struggle getting jobs?

thank you for any help:)

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

At the top of the page is a link to our Handy Tools section; in there you'll find our expat guides which may help you plan your journey.

To answer your specific questions:

As an EU citizen, you have the right to live and work anywhere in the EU - so no, you don't need a visa to live or work in Holland.

Accommodation - I'd start on the internet; Pararius is one of many such websites; this link will take you there.

Jobs - depends, if you have a skill they are looking for and have some relevant experience, then maybe; the thing that will really restrict your ability to get a job is if you speak Dutch or not.

Once you've read the above guides and links; if you have any further questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Expat Team

So does this mean we can go straight over and work? we don't need any type of bsn or anything?

They are different things and not what you asked.  BSN is a process where everybody (including Dutch people) have to register with the local council (Gemeente) where they live; it's not an immigration thing as such.  As a non-Dutch citizen (they get theirs at birth), when you register, you will be issued with a unique number (BSN nummer) and be able to pay your taxes, open a bank account, get Health Insurance (legally required), register with a doctor and register your car; in general, these are things that link you in some way to the Dutch government.

You should register within 5 days of arriving in Holland, so the important thing is to find somewhere to live where the landlord will permit you to register (not all will), but I've known people register from there Hotel/Airbnb address, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.  It follows that once you register, if you should move/leave, then you have to notify the Gemeente of the details, otherwise you'll end up paying 2 lots of council taxes.

You should be aware that should you be unable to find work and become a burden on the State, they can send you back to the UK.

Hope this helps.

Expat Team