Malaria prevention?

Hi all!

I'll be moving to San Pedro de Macoris area in July for approximately 1 year (possibly more). I am looking to travel around the country a bit as well.  I've recently heard there is a higher risk for malaria now versus in the past. I plan to bring a mosquito net, some repellant and exercise precaution, but not take anti-malarial meds long term. Are anti-malarial medications ever taken long term? Do you have other suggestions to prevent malaria/mosquito borne illnesses?

Thanks in advance!
Kendra

Malaria is not a real issue here. Dengue, chikengunya and zika can still be issues here. Use repellant with deet, light colored clothing, avoid areas with standing water and keep a fan moving the air whenever possible.

And welcome to the forums! So why San Pedro de Macoris? Just curious!

Maybe I am just lucky or maybe I am in an area where the mosquitoes are not carrying these diseases.  After living in Punta Cana area for almost 4 years and visiting for more than 20 years, I have yet to contract any illness that I know of from mosquitoes.  I work daily in the garden, covered in mosquitoes several wasp stings (and they are bad) I am around snakes and tarantulas occasionally and still no issues.  I do not use spray or any other repellents.  Probably I have built up some natural immunity.  I have also found if you do get stung which I regularly do from wasps, vinegar and lime is the best cure by far.  I visit San Pedro regularly and have not even heard of any issues there.  only my experience...

I too have been lucky. 35  years ago iI got Dengue, also known as bone break fever. Over two weeks of pure hell. Since then, nothing. That includes a couple of years in central Florida. Being a garlic lover, I probably smell bad to them. Less than 40 mosquito bites that I'm aware of in the past year and a half.  Use all precautions suggested & eat garlic. Good luck & welcome to the forum & the island.  The North Shore breezes help keep them at bay.

Thank you for your suggestions! I will be volunteering with an orphanage in San Pedro de Macoris. :)

Good for you Kendra. Please update us on your experience

I read that Diptheria was making a comeback.  Any word on the street over there?

There was a handful of cases suspected and at least one confirmed.  That was a few weeks ago . Then a massive wave of people getting vaccinated.

It seems to have died down again. If you have your vaccines you have no worries.

What I did not know was that adults needs to get boosters every 10 years!

I did not know that either till I read about the outbreak. I hate needles. But, maybe I gotta adult before July?

Take the needle woman!!!  have some rum first!

We just got here and haven't had any vaccines.  What should we get and where should we get them.  We're in Sosua. 

Thanks

You can consider the  Booster for  DPT.  Not sure where on the north coast but ask at  CMC in Sosua.  They likely can help you.

Isobel, the nurse at  the Doctor Webe Clinic on Pablo Neruda. It is near to Supra Pola. PM or call me for directions. Less expensive than CMC. She treats the locals 7 is underfunded. Small unimpressive place. Isobel has given me my shots & treated me for various things.

Thanks guys.