Cashing a US drawn check in Spain...

My US bank closed my account for no actively(not very nice of them, since there were charging me service fees) Now I have my USA federal tax return check and I need to deposit it. Has anyone had to deposit a US drawn check into a Spanish bank account? What bank was it? Looking for any advice...

Your bank closed the account for no activity yet were still charging you service fees but you had money going in and out I guess?

I would certainly complain about that, is there an official authority that you could complain to? Even if they keep your account closed, you might get back the service fees they charged you.

As for cashing in your Tax check, can you ask a friend to cash it for you back in the US and have them wire you the money?

Why not call in at any bank and asked. That way you know for certain

We brought a money order over from the US to deposit into our Spanish bank account when we moved here.  After almost two months of the deposit not showing in our account we questioned the Spanish bank (Sab****) and the representative said they had no record of the check.  We then called our US bank (a credit union) and they said the check had not been cashed and could not locate it either.  We shared this information with Sab**** and they suggested that we have the check canceled.  We contacted our US bank, again, and canceled the check and had the money wired over.  What Sab**** didn't mention was that they were going to charge some outrageous amount of money as a fee for the check never clearing, approximately 5% of the check's value.  Needless to say, we were very unhappy, but such is life when living in a foreign country I guess.  So, long story short, I agree with SimCityAT and suggest having the money wired over.

I have great sympathy with you CC

A couple of years ago I had a sterling investment deposit account with Sol Bank, now part of Sabadell.  Knowing how spanish  banks work I tried to negotiate a deal when I closed the account to avoid excessive charges.  The bank were not interested and susquently charge me 0•5% on the entire amount    Fee of just over £800 (over 900 €)

It seems Sabadell are sticking with their punitive charges

I always advise people seeking to open a bank account to ask, and get confirmation in writing, of the fees they wiill incur for any transactions which they make

My son did that with Caja Mar and now pays a flat fee of 0•30 € for any and all transactions