Opening a Bank account in Madrid

Hello

I just went to the Sabadell next to Loewe on Gran Via trying to open an account. The older lady at the desk said in Spainish that she didn't speak English. I asked her if anyone who spoke English could help. She spoke more Spainish and had no intention to help.

I was recommended by a couple of Spainish business people that Sabadell is a better bank in terms of banking charges but now I can't even find an English speaking staff!

Could anyone recommend a branch with English speaking staff? Or if you feel another bank is better I will be happy to try.  The purpose is to get a mortgage.  Thank you.

Welcome to Spain. Do you have NIE already, i guess yes? Best you can do ask some friend who talk Spanish to go with you if you have no one then try some other office of same bank.

Vonster,    how unreasonable of the Spanish that they do not speak english.  Mind you I have had  similar experiences in a number of countries.   But then I doubt I would find many spanish speaking staff in banks in U.K. !!!

You complain that the lady had no intention of helping you.  How inspired of you to know what she was intending when you did not Understand her.  Do you think you just might have misunderstood her intentions ?

Thank you Andrea. I expected as much and went to another branch and the man there was helpful by typing the required documents on Google Translate and showed me the screen.