Cost of living Shanghai Family of 3

Hello! I would like some help To analyse a job proposal. My husband received a working proposal for Shanghai in Pudong, near the airport. He is  an electrical engineer and has 4 years of experience. We are a Family of 3, there's a baby on the way, for July. The proposal has monthly salary net 23,500 RMB or 3740 dollars. In addition to salary, the company will pay for medical and life insurance. However, housing is not included. Do you think this value is enough for a family of three (1 baby) to live comfortably?

Hi Larabse:
I am working for expats' families. It is better to include housing. Because the rental of house  is very expensive. You should try to talk to the company and see If they can include this. Usually, the company can be responsible for this. Hope it can help you.

Hi Iarabse,
I've been moved in Shanghai for 1 month so I share your concern when deciding to live in 1 of the most expensive cities in the world. As Liza said, housing fee in Shanghai is pretty much costly. I did pay 6,000rmb for a lane-house 30sqm in French Concession. I'm not sure if the rental fee in Pudong is as much as downtown Shanghai or not. Besides, another 10,000rmb/person/mth for other costs.

that's about 20k after tax, would be enough for a single junior professional in Shanghai. Definitely not enough for a family.
By the way, make sure you have a proper health insurance for all family members including METERNITY COVERAGE of at least RMB 60k.

Just for reference, house fee cost you about 3000-5000RMB( a house with about 80 sqm) for your family near Pudong airport.
other everyday life package fee for your famally costs about 2000- 3000 rmb, it depends.

for feed baby, suggest you prepare  50k for emergency usage.

hope helps.

Rike

NO,its not enough for a family ,if without housing  unless you work too after baby delivered, and if you started work ,then you need hiring a nanny to take care of your baby ,then it will cost at least 4000 per month and provide a room and also food for the nanny., So, if without housing , No, its not enough.

Hi,
Sorry to piggy back on this post.
I'm considering a position in Shanghai, MinHang. It would include accommodation, which is across the road from work. I have a wife and 3 year old.
How much should I expect to spend on groceries in a month if I do not plan to each out much? 😬