Cost of living in Shanghai - 19 000 RMB monthly in Pudong region. ok?

Dear friends,

I have an offer to move to Shanghai and I am offered 19000 RMB. But I would be moving with my family and will be around pudong region. I have a son who will be going to grade 3. Considering the cost of education I am confused whether i can survive and save anything. Since this is my first visit with family, I have no clue of local language and do not have option, but put my son in international school, that are severely costly.

Also can someone tell me how much will be the tax. My company is not sponsoring for my kids education.

Appreciate advise.

As I know the threshold of "income Tax" is 4,800RMB for foreigner (3,500 RMB for Chinese). You can get 16,455 RMB after I calculate.
It's not mandatory for the rest of tax like Medicare, Housing MPFA,or pension. But you still have to make sure that if it has been mentioned on your work contract or offer.

Are you kidding! 19000 is WAY to low.
Housing in Pudong is close to 5000usd and the schools are a must to INCLUDE in the contract. Most companies pay directly. Shanghai American School is close to the best "like America" school.

I know plenty of young couples who have to struggle with homeschooling because they were clueless on the package.

PS. Don't forget the driver!! Yes, forget driving here and taxi is hell.

Green Villas next to "Green City" next to Dulwich school (British not anything close to American school) is the best area to land.
Heads up on getting your child into school. Start WAY ahead and never mention your child might need "special help".

You can contact me on Facebook "Shanghai Educational Assisting" or email me directly, if you need some more info. We have lived in many other countries and are now on our 5th contract. 

Good luck.
Robyn

Hi,

Here is the average cost details from my experinc of the last three years in Shangahi.

Housing: 12000-20000 RMB in Pudong two to three bedrooms. Yanlord, Skyline, Shimao. you can find for 10000 RMB in Puxi.

School: American, British Schools, about 20,000 to 25000 USD per year. Lycee Francais: 14000 to 18000 USD.

you can still find some international school. Teach Chinese and English, about 10,000 USD.

Living Cost: I have two daughters 4 years and 2 years old. It cost us about 1500 to 2000 USD per month, for food, including Diapers and Milk(All Imported). Although, this can be controlled depend on the family life style, but not less than 1000 USD per month.

Electricty, Water and Gas: Highest Bill i paid about 1500 RMB per month, average is 700 RMB

Transportation: No need for car. Taxi, Metro are more enough and practical.

Medical Insurance: This is very important. As for the international hospitals/Clinics: you will need from 1000 to 4000 RMB for regular check ups and blood tests for kids.
Doctor fees+blood test+xray=around 1500 to 2000 RMB
Maternity from first day till delivery: Whole package 10 months about 60,000 RMB some reach 100,000 RMB( they do all tests, checkup, delivery and after delivery care)

Please contact me  if you need more details
Regards,

Mohamad