Moving to Shanghai soon

I shall be moving to Shanghai in the next couple of months and this is my first experience in China. Many questions are running through my head right now.

What is the standard of living there? What would a Big Mac cost over there for comparison?

I have been told that housing is very expensive in Shanghai. Not sure where I shall be putting up yet and it depends on where my office will be.

What about income tax?

Cheers.

Where are you coming from? Most likely it will be very different. JW

coming from Malaysia and appreciate any help i can get

HI, I plan to come to Shangai as a first visit at begining of January 2011. I'm Currently in Paris, but would like to go for business to Shangai. I don't have relationships there but would like to create contacts. Is there any US / UK / french or english spoken people who coule help and give advices on how to find a good job there ?
Before I was head of HR information services in Mercer ( N°1 WW for HR consulting services) I'm looking for a position as :  Head of affiliate, Business development,or HR Head with compensation and benefits competences, for a multinational. Thanks for your help. My resume is ready... Christophe Germain
+33(0)6 80 48 50 30 / [email protected]

(moderated: no free ads please)

wrsghtnry

First of all, Welcome to Shanghai! Just for comparison, a average one bedroom apartment in Xuhui close to a subway stop goes for around 4,500-5,000rmb a month. Shanghai is fairly expensive to live in. However, it's a city that you can choose to live extravagantly or inexpensively. For instance, lunch meals range from 10rmb for dumplings or noodles to 50rmb for "American Style" pastas and sandwiches. I have found that an average dinner meal for two is about 120rmb. Big Macs are actually fairly expensive compared to Chinese dumplings or Noodle Restaurants. However, I don't know the price of a big mac off the top of my head.

I'm sure you have so many questions.  Shanghai is such an amazing and wonderful place to be. 

A few of websites that might be helpful for you are: shanghaishangrila.blogspot.com, shanghaiexpat.com[/url], and shanghaiist.com Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

(moderated: you are off topic + plz post in the classifieds section. Thank you)