Is RMB100K before tax considered an OK pay in Shanghai(Pudong)?

Hi everyone here.

I'm a single lady from Malaysia and been contemplating a job opportunity at a pharma in Shanghai. However I'm unsure about whether I can survive (as well as to save) on that amount of pay as I know Shanghai is an expensive place to live. I'm aware it's a local package not an expat package so I'll bear all the expenses.

Your thoughts are much appreciated :)

Hi kacey,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I wish you good luck in your search.

All the best,
Christine

100K RMB is OK for a newly graduated student.

Thanks for your reply, zyt612.

Actually I've 4 years of working experience in other health research domain at NGO but not pharma. So they think I'm just exactly like the newly graduated and my previous work experience has no value to them? That's pretty discouraging :(

100K RMB per month? That is okay....100K  RMB per year..you would live like a poor chinese person.

Thanks for your reply, Zhuhai_Rob.
By the way, it's annual pay before tax of RMB100K. Sorry about that.
Serious? I thought the locals make even less ie few thousands RMB per month.
In fact, I was expecting more than that ie RMB200K-ish per annum.
How do you define living as a poor chinese person? Can you please explain more?
I'm not a big spender. I spend mostly on food. It'd be great to have a decent pay that allows me to survive (ie a simple and clean sorta place to live at least) and at the same time to be able to save a bit.
I know many expats get paid way above the average of locals do and with all the perks that enabling them to live a very comfortable live but not for my case here though.

RMB 100k is only about SDG20k. I think you can earn more in Singapore with a lower cost of living than Shanghai. Unless you have you own house in Shanghai or the company provides you a place to stay, the rental itself will take up all your salary, forget about food and other expenses.  You may end up eatting bread or cooking fast food noodles daily. At least in Singapore you can still find a plate of food at SGD$3 or less. If you are a graduate, you have more options. Hope you will find a good job soon :)

Ok, figure this, you will have to pay taxes, plus pay into the social security deal (unless your country has a prior agreement with China, the only one that I am aware of is Germany, I am sure there are a few more). This will leave you with 4-5K RMB per month which is not very much in Shanghai. You will have a very small place, good luck with that, I do not live in Shanghai, but would not think it easy to find a cheap, safe, clean place, pick two out of those three, but not all three. For food, you would have to be thrifty.
Typically, your employer will offer you a small apt and lunch or a stipend at a local(s). If thats the case, and you are thrifty and up for an adventure you will be ok. If you want to come to china though and not make any money, you can make twice that just teaching a foreign language here.
Most of the people I associate with are chinese because I work for a chinese govt firm and spend most of my lunches and dinners at social events, plus a bit of travel for various conventions. My wife and kids live here, kids go to a chinese govt school, wife does not work. Regarding salaries, a physical labor construction worker makes 35,000-45,000 a year (after tax). At my firm the kids fresh out of school make what you are (80-100K after tax inc end of year bonus, then after 3 years or so they start to make more). A "professional" in my office makes (low end) 300-500K RMB/year, 1M plus (higher end) and the bosses make ten times that.

Thanks for your reply, newchicgal and Zhuhai_Rob. I'll definitely take into your thoughts in consideration.

newchicgal, I have a master degree from overseas. There was once I wanted to go to Singapore so badly hence made a few job applications submission in Singapore unfortunately I so far haven't received any positive response. So I got very disheartened at last. I guess my previous experience and qualification are not highly demanded.

Zhuhai_Rob, thanks for your information. It seems like it isn't a good move to Shanghai with that amount of pay. That amount of pay is an estimate from a recruitment agent actually. She was telling me a newly grad only make several thousands RMB per month and she was comparing Singapore and US pay together with my previous pay in Malaysia (but not my other overseas pay) at the same time which I dunno why. I guess she was trying to persuade me to give it a go at the least possible pay as possible.

I truly appreciate both your input. They will surely play a role in making my final decision. Have a good week.

Hi

Is not a masive salary but yes you can survive in pudong.

I live in pudong and I can tell you that outside the lujiazui and the finacial disctrit you can find accomodation for 2500 rmb per month that is ok.

Just look in some real estate agencies around
and they will show you apartments to choose.

Cesar

I think you can live from it in Pudong. Even thought I don't like Pudong to live there, because it is dead end of SH. Anyway, it all depend a lot of your self.
And 4 years experience doesn't mean anything in China. I have a colleague who earns more money than many of my many years experience friends in foreign offices. And he is just graduate. Chinese Companies normaly pay better to foreigners than foreign companies do. And you are more safe about all tax stuff. According to my own experience last 5 years in China.
I would suggest, take the job if you really like to come to China. And than you still have enough time to look around for a new better job. It is always easier in Mainland if you stay already here. And as some of the other users already said - you can survive easy with this sallery.

Thanks coyote navajo and Asmus for both your input. Appreciated!

coyote navajo, can I please ask you how is the condition of a typical RMB2500/month apartment you mentioned?

Asmus, I heard from my Chinese friend that Chinese companies tend to get things done under table. What particular attributes does your just graduated colleague possess that he/she gets paid much more than te experienced ones? Perhaps his/her parents own the company? :D

Thanks in advance and have a great Christmas!!

Big Companies in China are always conected to the goverment. Also the so called privat once. So they have their 'own law'. Who care if they do something under the table if I also benefit of it. In western countries the Companies also do a lot under the table and the only one who has a benefit is the management. Choose by your self what you like more ;)