Cost of Living in Shanghai - Family of 4

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking for jobs at international schools in Shanghai. I will be moving with my family, and would like an idea of our monthly expenses. We are 2 adults and 2 children (aged 3 and 6). I will be working, but my wife probably will not.

I expect a starting salary in the region of 25k-30k RMB. This will include housing, medical insurance, and education for my kids at the international school I would be working at. After that we will just need to cover living expenses, transportation (public transport), and utilities as well as some luxuries.

We live quite modestly - we will be mainly cooking at home and don't need any big brand names. Luxuries will be the odd meal out here and there, day trips with the kids, and toys.

I have been told by friends that it would be possible for us to live off 10-15k per month, and save the rest. On the other hand, some of the things I've been reading online have suggested that 30k is barely enough for a single adult.

Do you think that 25k-30K will be enough for us to live off, and is my hope of saving 10k RMB each month likely, or are my estimates of living expenses WAY too low?

Thanks!

It's totally true that many single folks could hardly save anything from ~30k monthly income after a few night outs in Shanghai. And I'm not talking KTVs here!

While it's possible to make it, I actually sympathize with the missus who would play an important part in saving the hard earned money; think daily cooking, laundry, supermarket runs and so on and being a mum and wife!

The challenging part however is: how would your kids cop with their peers, those are either very spoiled rich locals or expats with fat pay check and allowances for villa and other perks!

All in all it's feasible, not impossible. Maybe you can do it for a year or two if the daily grind made an exception for you : )

I personally always tell people to come here on a short visit and see things themselves and I mean not being a tourist!

Good luck!