What is the best US bank checking account for US expats in DR?

Has anyone figured out an optimized strategy for banking while overstaying (without residency) in the DR?  Specifically, I'd like to keep a US bank relationship, but am trying to find the best checking account to minimize hassle and expense.

A couple banks I have looked at:

HSBC Expat Banking -- handles multiple-currency living, but seems to be expensive and require a significant minimum balance. 

CapitalOne 360 -- does not charge foreign transaction fees, but is free only from CapitalOne ATMs, which seem to be few and far between.

Aspiration -- reimburses ALL ATM charges, but charges 1.1% transaction fee on currency exchanges.

When I calculate my monthly budget, the CapitalOne and the Aspiration offerings are probably about equal. 

Any other thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks!

Welcome to the forums. You know you can open a bank account here with your passport and other documents.  You don't have to have residencia

With that said, I know very little about American banks honey. Others will chime in.

My U.S. bank is Wells Fargo. Their Visa card is well accepted here. I don't use checks here. I write one check a month for living expenses.  Use the CC if need be. PM me for info. I receive my money in pesos. The cost? 3 bucks per check cashed. So it costs me About 150 pesos to move my money from there to my pocket.  And it is legal too!  I don't think that which bank you use  matters.

Thank you @planner and @thetinker40 -- helpful as always!  @thetinker40, if I understood correctly, you write yourself one paper check a month from your Wells Fargo account for your upcoming expenses and cash needs -- is that correct?  Seems simple enough.   I assume you need a DR bank account with enough balance to cover the cash value of the check?

No that would defeat the purpose. You would find someone who cashes cheques for a fee. You need an introduction to that person as it's a trust thing. Likely your first cheque or two will take a few days, after that it's cashed based on trust.  A cheque is written to yourself off your US account.

@planner  Thank you for the insights!  We will look to build that trust relationship.

No, you don;t. The ckeck guy has a copy of your passport. Check bounces, so do you into jail plus you couldn't get off the island. He has your ph # too. You need to be referred by an existing client.

No waiting time, guy can approve instantly with one of the tecky things. You leave blank the to who line.  In essence the check is written to them, they cash it. Simpler that way. They know the check is good & receive it immediately, like buying on line.

Well that works with this one but many are not so high tech honey

Bottom line - it can be done!

Sorry, I forgot to include the managers' name at Banco Santa Cruz.  Carlos, a good family man, loves baking breads, cakes etc. Likes bikes also. He is extremely helpful. Has a great smile too. Yolanda is prettier though.

Which is the bank that require the least amount of "other documents"?

Even with my DR citizenship one bank asks for last 3 years of US tax returns and my California drivers license, which I let expire, to open an account with them.

planner wrote:

... you can open a bank account here with your passport and other documents.  You don't have to have residencia.

They,are all ridiculous now. Take your DR passport etc to each bank and ask.what is required.  Money laundering rules makes it tough now.

Suggestion, use Fidelity Investments Cash Management (checking) account which also reimburses ALL ATM charges but does NOT charge transaction fees. One negative is that they take 4 to 5 business days to have your check deposits available.

What I do is deposit checks with Aspiration, which are available in 1 to 2 business days, then transfer to Fidelity (transfers are available in 1 day) and withdraw from Fidelity.

Lacrosse wrote:

Aspiration -- reimburses ALL ATM charges, but charges 1.1% transaction fee on currency exchanges.

...the Aspiration offerings are probably...

Any other thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks!

Aand what does that have to do with a Dominican bank????

About every week some Americans say Schwab Bank is best for them.....no ATM fees...not even mentioned here today.

Why checks? Get a DR bank account, transfer funds, Get a debit or credit card from your DR bank. It can take days & weeks to clear a US bank check. You can pay everything with local card. Use ATMs too.

It has nothing to do with a Dominican bank. Was just giving Lacrosse suggestions on how he can withdraw from ATM's at no charge.

A Schwabb account would also be without fees but they are harder to open an account with compared to Fidelity Investments.

planner wrote:

Aand what does that have to do with a Dominican bank????

Sorry honey, now i see you were answering the original question. I thought we already had. My error

Wow that's a big help  thank you so much for posting that.  Mind me asking what bank cashes checks from Wells Fargo? Never tried that option I usually just bring Cash but the check option is much better.

Hey Planner do you know who in Santo Domingo I could reach out to in order to Cash US Check?

I dont have a contact here in SD but i will ask my friends.

Planner, ok thank you