Immigration and Overstay Issues

Those who seek more time here than the tourist card permits may wish to use the Forum on the DGM website.

Please see a reply from a moderator in reply to a request on how long can the extend the tourist visa:

https://foro.migracion.gob.do/forums/topic/extension-de-visa-turistica/

Buenos dias,
Soy ciudadana American y necesito saber la maxima cantidad de tiempo que se puede extender una visa turistica y cuales son los pasos que debo tomar.

Gracias.

Saludos, investigaremos para usted y le daremos una pronta respuesta por esta via.

Actualizacion:

Saludos actualmente no hay extensión para la visa turística el modo de proceder es pedir una prorroga por escrito dirigida al director de migración depositada en la sede vía ventanilla 3 lo cual le otorgaría un tiempo de el doble de su tiempo normal
Nota: Esto no le exime de pago administrativo.

Seems there is no extension to the tourist card but you can ask for an extended stay of what appears an extra 60 days.

You can use google to translate, but at least there is now a forum to contact DGM with your questions as well.

lennoxnev wrote:

Those who seek more time here than the tourist card permits may wish to use the Forum on the DGM website.

Please see a reply from a moderator in reply to a request on how long can the extend the tourist visa:

https://foro.migracion.gob.do/forums/topic/extension-de-visa-turistica/

Buenos dias,
Soy ciudadana American y necesito saber la maxima cantidad de tiempo que se puede extender una visa turistica y cuales son los pasos que debo tomar.

Gracias.

Saludos, investigaremos para usted y le daremos una pronta respuesta por esta via.

Actualizacion:

Saludos actualmente no hay extensión para la visa turística el modo de proceder es pedir una prorroga por escrito dirigida al director de migración depositada en la sede vía ventanilla 3 lo cual le otorgaría un tiempo de el doble de su tiempo normal
Nota: Esto no le exime de pago administrativo.

Seems there is no extension to the tourist card but you can ask for an extended stay of what appears an extra 60 days.

You can use google to translate, but at least there is now a forum to contact DGM with your questions as well.

Greettings, actually there is no way to extend the turist visa,  the way to obtain an extension is write a letter to Dirección General de Migración, deposit in the Central Office, window 3 wich will give you the double of the normal time to stay.
note:  Some fees may apply.

What I understood is that turist card duration of 30 days can not be extended, but you can get a permit to stay longer time than the 30 days that gives you the turist card with the double of duration.

Yes you can extend the stay legally to  60 days. Must be done before the  first 30 day tourist card expires.

The issue with this is that they attract/advertise to expats, want to sell you real estate.... IF this is true.... what happens to expats who own property and can't come back to their home? IF  this is true any one who owns a condo or home should get a different visa otherwise it's a scam to steal people's real estate 🤷🏼‍♂️

At this point that is NOT the situation. Can any country require people to have the  correct legal status,  absolutely!     

Currently it is normal to stay and pay the overstay penalty.  Until that changes, and they are NOT ALLOWED to re enter, this life continues on.     

This could change in the future  and if that happens then people will have the option to get legal or sell their holdings.     

No one is setting out  to "steal" their real estate holdings in this way.  There is no SCAM as such.

I think you misunderstood. You are saying people are having  issues coming back that overstayed in the past.
Many real estate owners don't have visas.
If and only if what you said is true it can be disaster for them.
If you can't come back to your property we know how that goes.
Just sell... jajajaja yeah.
So again based on what you said in the starting of this thread many expats that would be barred from coming back would end up loosing their properties.

And if and only if what you says is true then the change in barring people needs to be addressed with anyone who owns a property as to them that would be unfair.

That's it

Currently  this is how it is! IF AND WHEN THAT CHANGES people will decide what they need to do!  Period.

NO ONE is going around trying to scam anyone by selling them real estate with the hope that one day the owners will not be able to get back into the country.

That is not correct and you are fear mongering!

Hello, any update about people returning to DR after overstaying on tourist card?

Nothing new honey.  All good news at this point.

Thank you for the quick response. Just starting reading all of this and from different expat websites. People saying they have some sort of overstay list and people being flagged on the system after being finger printed or people hearing some Canadians for denied entry for multiple overstay trips. 
I overstay most of the time but I took a short trip to New York for 3 days in October after overstaying 6 months and I came back into DR with no problem. I left again (paid overstay fine of 4000 pesos) 2 weeks ago to go back to London and returning to DR on Wendesday. Just reading all of this and I am starting to panic. My husband is Dominican and don't want to be apart from him.
So there is no updated news regarding this denial of entry over repeated overstayers, just to confirm?

I for one , am interested to see how this New World of technology works out for RD.
The traffic fine system is really efficient now.
They say they have a new ...photo the license plate... system that brings up the owner etc.
Airports are tracking you better here.

Plenty of new tech being introduced.

I wonder why ?
Time will tell .......

I have not heard anything confirmed honey!

I have heard of problems ... but just once.
and it may have been for other reasons.

Ok then.... so should I worry?

You have no residency - after marriage ??

zoe.stellman wrote:

My husband is Dominican and don't want to be apart from him.

It is challenging to me to understand how any expat would not want to have secure residency (at the very least) in the country of their spouse where they intend to live their married life.

The historical fact that DR has been and still is perhaps the most lax country in the world in enforcing it's immigration law, has and still provides what maybe a false sense of security for many.

I don't see any changes happening at airports in what I hear or read or observe when flying into DR, so I don't expect you or others flying in from North America or Europe will have anything to worry about.

But I do read that the response to illegal immigration of Haitians and Venezuelans as well as some other (non NA or EU) nationalities is being ramped up.

And I don't think the new passport arrival stamp is anything other than a physical inexcusable visible reminder to the passport holder of their permitted legal time in the country.

No. I applied but the woman at the embassy gave me the wrong Information. Can I apply for residency in Dr?

zoe.stellman wrote:

No. I applied but the woman at the embassy gave me the wrong Information. Can I apply for residency in Dr?

No , the residency process starts now by getting a special visa for the residency process in your passport at the Dominican Embassy in your home country. 

Then you enter the DR and have 30 days to submit the rest of the paperwork for residency.

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/index/18

Well the airports in the US, especially JetBlue will not let you fly without a return ticket.  I left Boston Tuesday night and when they dicovered I had no return flight they did would not let me board the flight.  Since I had just received by handy dandy new looking 60 day visa for residency they let me fly without a return ticket.  They only did so after contacting a manager that authorized my boarding.  Now everyone please send me "good" attorney contact info so I can get the ball rolling on this end.

How do they know you do not have a return flight?

They know because they ask and you have to supply proof!   Simple.

Lawyer: Lishali Baez Mejia. Goes by Lily  809 860 1231. She is on whatsapp and speaks fluent English.  Very good at what she does!

Last trip I booked on two different airlines and entered return date in the kiosk while checking in but was not asked to supply proof at the airport.

I vouch for Lishali/Lily too

Been with her for years....

Is there a place in POP where I could get that extension? Will be in Sosua in 4 weeks and renting a villa, planning long term.

Advice please! We had contacted the consulate in Ottawa Canada to get a list of documents needed to apply for temp residency visa. Thought we had everything, sold the house (closing end of June) and rented a villa for May 1. We will be withdrawing regular monthly from our investment acct, which is projected to last 30+ years. Now they are wanting statements showing 6 months of receiving this, but not starting to collect until next month. This holds up our temp visa, but we will be in Sosua,me beginning of May and Debbie by end of June. Do you think we can get away with coming on the 30 day tourist visa, then paying overstay 6 months later when we go back to Canada to get our temp visa then come back to start residency in DR?
Planner, you had posted that we could apply for an extension on the 30 day tourist visa. Where would we do that?
Thanks in advance for help and advice. Starting to get a bit twitchy over this

robear,  don't assume they know what a statement is.  Give them what you have.  Probably you have a letter or something to say what you will be receiving and when.  Give them that.  Also your notice of assessment.  A bank statement.  They just need to check off their boxes...

If you rather come on a 30 day tourist visa... coming into Punta Cana is rarely a problem.  You don't have to say anything when you come in and then when you leave, pay the overstay fine.

I agree with Dominican Mike.  Get letters  and statements and send em!   

If needed do what so many do and just overstay. When you go home you can process the  residencia visa without issue. 

In terms of extending 30 days - I do not know where you do that in Puerto Plata. AND if you are staying  5 or 6 months that is not going to help you. It doesnt reset the overstay fine  honey.

Thanks. Just trying to avoid paying multiple times for same papers to be sent if I have to do it again in 6 months. Might be worth the try tho.

If you were to get turned away for multiple overstays, would that make it impossible to get residency once that happens? We are considering buying this year, Obviously that causes problems for home owners.

I very much doubt it Mike.  They want money...

Sounds like you have a schedule of future payments...
that should work...

Specifics here are vague

They are looking an income stream.....
If in doubt -- give to the Ottawa consulate in advance for approval

Has anyone confirmed that they are denying people who overstay multiple times. I'm about to get on a flight to DR. I'm getting very worried

No confirmation of that to date....
you are safe to fly.... at this point in time

As far as I know that is not happening.

Hi guys, I have read a lot of all these messages and want to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge here. Yet I'm a bit confused, so forgive me, if my question is kind of stupid.
Let's assume I don't want to overstay or anything and just come with the 30 days tourist card every once in a while and stay for 28 days or so. Can I just leave the country spend some days in for jnstance in Miami or anywhere else and come back later with a new tourist card, which then again is valid for 30 days?
If so, how often can I do that? Is there a limit? Or am I only allowed to come for 30 days per year? Because someone wrote “Border runs to Haiti will not help since it won't start your tourist card time again.” Once again sorry for asking!

Chris

Welcome to the forums. 

Yes that is exactly how you do it! You can do this forever honey. Many people who have businesses do this.

Hi again, thank you so much for answering my question. For me that model seems good, but I also understand all the other people here who want an unbureaucratic way of staying in the DR for a longer time. Let's hope they either leave it the way it is (overstay = pay) or they make another hassle free option for snowbirds, frequent travelers etc..
Anyway thanks so much and keep up your amazing work here.

Hey, anyone know a good lawyer based in Santiago?

I am told that longer stay visas are on the table....  but I have been told this for some time now....  Fingers crossed they do something about it.

Here's a recent experienced... at STI
==============================================================
...yes they do keep track of passport numbers when you enter the DR...I left the DR for a week in Miami about 3 weeks ago...I had been here about 2 years, and had gotten a new passport in the last year (no residency) new passport number...no stamps...immigration at Santiago airport was getting madder by the minute, then they asked me how long I had been here.. I said about 6 weeks, then they said go home at get your old passport...but I said I cant it was stolen, then the man in charge was ****ed off...so I gave them the old number I had in my pocket, the lady said you have been here over 2 years? what could I say only that I have a bad memory...anyway she charged me $120 us dollars...as I walked to my plane she and her boss were still in a heated talk about her not charging enough.....