Free and low-cost leisure activities in Bulgaria

Hello,

We invite you to share some information regarding leisure activities that are free or low-cost in Bulgaria. This information will give future expats (or even current expats) an idea regarding some of leisure activities that they might not be aware of.

Is there a way to find out about free or low-cost fun activities in Bulgaria, such as a specific app, or a newsletter, or magazine, tourism board, etc.? How do you find out where events are organised?

What are the most common free leisure activities in Bulgaria?
Which free activities do you recommend for children, for teenagers, for adults, and for seniors?

Are there certain days where access to paid activities are offered at a lower price or even for free, such as museum entry, or exhibitions, or a theme park, etc.?

How do you maximise your leisure activities in the most cost-effective manner?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

https://goo.gl/tZ7Wfq

Not free, but tickets for the Plovdiv Opera Season start at only 10 euros. As you get to sit in a spectacular, hillside Roman Amphitheatre, still in use 2,000 years after it was built, it's definitely a worthy experience. (Cushion & anti-bug spray recommended.) They have quite an eclectic programme, hence it includes Tosca, Jesus Christ Superstar, and Queen's Night at the Opera.

Bulgaria has several beautiful mountain ranges with large national parks (Pirin, Rila, Rhodope, Balkan). All have extensive hiking and biking trails. These are free to use, and you can enjoy hours (or days, or years) of healthy, outdoors activity.

There is a larger cost for getting a kayak or SUP (I think the inflatables start around 300 euros), but Bulgaria has plenty of reservoirs where you can spend the day out on the water.
@Priscilla
As my dad used to say.the only thing free is the air to breathe.
Not far off tbh.
There are sea and beaches that are free..mountains are beautiful..and free to visit..as are many other attractions...but you need buses
Accommodation..which have to be paid for..car hire etc if you dont live nearby..same as excursions and i have taken plenty..the best way tbh.
Water parks another great attraction.
You can google attractions in bg
Rose gardens are beautiful too as is
Veliko turnovo..but travel is needed
Good luck.
@wtruckyboy

You're right that it's quite hard to find a totally free activity! But I think low-cost gives us a bit of leeway. :-)

As we're in Bulgaria, I think many paid activities are quite accessible.

I'm in Plovdiv, but I'm sure most Bulgarian cities will have similar options.

There are several nice malls here, Mall Plovdiv is my nearest. I can do a walk down there, and have a stroll around in air-conditioned comfort on a 35 degree day. A coffee is a couple of leva.

Opera in the Amphitheatre starts at 10 euros, as I mentioned. But cinema and museum entries are usually less. There are several cinemas and a number of museums and galleries here. Just visiting the Amphi during the day is a few leva.

The Plovdiv Old Town is a great location, with lots of cobbled streets and old Bulgarian houses. This is a free walk, of course.

Plovdiv also has Kapana, a bohemian cafe/bar area in the style of Brighton's Lanes which is nice to stroll around, especially in the evenings when the lights are up. A few leva for a beer / water / tea / coffee even in this trendy zone.

Plovdiv has multiple Roman/Greek ancient ruins which have been preserved and opened to the public. Most, including the hippodrome in the centre, are free. Any attached museums are very inexpensive to enter. Ditto the Amphi, the jewel in the crown.

Plovdiv has generous green areas, all of which are free to enter. There is the central park with Singing Fountains, also lovely at night. Nice pedestrian-only paths to the top of its famous hills. The regatta lake has a walking/cycling path. The Maritsa River has riverside trails.

It's not just the big city that can keep us occupied. Our village house is in the Balkan Mountains between Shipka and Kazanlak. This has turned out to be a super area. (And I think there are lots of attractions in many other regions.)

- mountain trails for walking and cycling starting in my village, and several others
- this area is known as the Valley of the Roses, the centre of rose oil production in Bulgaria. There is a big annual festival and multiple rose-related museums/attractions.
- this area is also known as the Valley of the Thracian Kings due to the ancient city and burial mounds of the Thracian civilization in this region. Multiple tombs to visit (including the biggest one in Kazanlak) all with very inexpensive admission (a few leva).
- The Central Balkan National Park is very large, and very beautiful, and only a few km away. This has hardcore multi-day hikes, and gentle family excursions on various eco-trails. There is a gondola at Sopot (next to Karlovo) to get you quickly to the top (to walk, bike, or enjoy the view).
- Shipka church and Shipka memorial.
- Koprinka reservoir for fishing and boating.
- Neighbouring Pavel Banya spa town.
- Monastery at Maglizh.
- Buzludzha Monument is well worth a visit, and this also has a national park area including the Shipka Monument and the forest between the two.

In general, Bulgaria has loads of very nice churches and monasteries. Admission is usually very minimal, and is often left up to you how many leva you want to put in the box or pay for the candle.

Plenty of seaside at the Black Sea coast. Who doesn't like a day at the beach?
Sounds great..and loads of places to visit..when i have my car we  do travel around..visiting relatives
Rose gardens kazanlak..Hisar for eg
This year no as i sold it.
My plan was sell my car..sell my wifes car and buy one for both.
I sold mine for a good price.
After ordering my /our new one in Feb..with delivery promised for June
That went..then july..that went too
Now promised for end of Sept
Will deffo have for next years travel
And with a late sept registration
Hopefully..

@gwynj The coast?  I can recommend Sarafovo Burgas.  It used to be a fishing village.  It's expanding now with newbuilds but the Bulgarians used to go there and leave Nessebar and Sunny Beach for the tourists.

Hotel Briz Sarafovo very cheap and it faces the Black Sea.

Burgas not far away is nice for a wander round the shops.

Lots of vegetarian options on their menus.

Enjoy.

Here in Varna there are lots of attractions, but two noticeable things are the numerous kids playgrounds and football pitches, along with exercise areas - these are free and left open 24/7.   Many of the football pitches belong to the government schools, which allow public usage, when the schools aren't using them.  They keep the kids active and amused for hours and keep up the community spirit!