New to Puerto Rico - How to meet people?

Hello! I'm from Texas and I just moved to Puerto Rico (Condado area), and I'm looking to meet new people. Are there groups/organizations/volunteering/etc that are available here in San Juan area to meet new people? I searched on meetup.com but there wasn't too much of anything.

Thank you for you help, and looking forward to meeting new people!

~Marissa

Hi Marissa

Welcome to Puerto Rico.  If you travel to Hatillo, look us up.

Thank you I will!

Have you thought about volunteering?  Head down to the farmer's market in OSJ on Saturday and talk to some of the locals there about volunteer opportunites.  Also, Eddie & Teesha at Casa Sol are heavily involved in post-Maria recovery and would be able to point you in the right direction. 

Ann

We used to help out Save-A-Gato in OSJ - it seems like they could always use help.

Thank you Ann!

I want to volunteer here as well. The farmer's market is something I would definitely like to do! And I really want to be involved the post hurricane clean up! Thank you for the recommendations, I will definitely follow up on them!

~Marissa

Thank you for the recommendation!

There are nature conservation related projects of volunteers all around the island that may interest you. Birds, turtles, monkeys, flora, dogs, cats, manatees, you name it. There are also groups that help clean up beaches, rivers, lakes and other recreational areas. We also have a lot of wet lands that need be looked after and there are groups for that.

Not in the island at the moment, dont have the contacts, but others here may.

Bars, boating associations, surfer clubs, scuba clubs, dances, festivals, and there is always church, all good places to meet people. The line at the supermarket, the line at any government service, you get to talking and make friends.

Thank you for the recommendations, I didn't think about nature conservation projects! I would really be interested in that as well. I was talking to a lady in line today, and she recommended the Sierra Club, which sounds really interesting to be involved in. Thank you, I will look into it and do some research! 

~Marissa

If you enjoy nature, Para la Naturazela is an organization that does a lot of work on the island. We did many trips and excursions with them and it was a lot of fun:

http://www.paralanaturaleza.org/en/

Maybe the newcomers club of San Juan is something for you? http://www.newcomerspr.com/

Thank you, I just looked at Naturaleza's website, and they have alot of volunteer opportunities that I would be interested in. I like nature conservation type volunteering!

Thank you again for the recommendation!

This may or may not sound corny to you. But keep an open mind.  There is a fun group of Square Dancers every Monday, in San Juan. They currently meet from 2-4pm. It is in English, for the most part. Very nice folks. You can go as a single or as a couple.  It is free. Beginners welcome. I have not been there since Hurricane Maria but will be going next Monday.  If you go, I will meet you there, so at least you will meet me. PM me or post an answer to this, since I am not positive I will get your PM.

Martial arts, if you're into that sort of thing. I've posted links to different schools of different disciplines elsewhere in the forum.

My friend runs a Turtle Patrol group. They help ensure that the sea turtles are safe and that people/animals don't disrupt the nests or try to catch the turtles when they hatch. It's a pretty dope project - if that interests you I'll put you in touch with her.

Welcome to PR!

frogrock wrote:

This may or may not sound corny to you. But keep an open mind.  There is a fun group of Square Dancers every Monday, in San Juan. They currently meet from 2-4pm. It is in English, for the most part. Very nice folks. You can go as a single or as a couple.  It is free. Beginners welcome. I have not been there since Hurricane Maria but will be going next Monday.  If you go, I will meet you there, so at least you will meet me. PM me or post an answer to this, since I am not positive I will get your PM.

Como se dice "Do-si-do"?

:)

That turtle conservation group sounds really interesting! Is it in San Juan area near Condado/Santurce. I haven't bought a car yet, and still relying on Uber for everything :-)

Thanks again!

mealemany wrote:

That turtle conservation group sounds really interesting! Is it in San Juan area near Condado/Santurce. I haven't bought a car yet, and still relying on Uber for everything :-)

Thanks again!

There is a conservation group in that area mealemany, not sure if it is the same one he was talking about. But if you contact the Department of Natural Resources chapter, they can enlist you and assign you dates, times and locations.