Expand your social circle in Puerto Rico

Hello everyone,

Moving to Puerto Rico means leaving one's family and friends behind. Creating a circle of friends or joining an existing one should therefore be paramount in order to fight loneliness in your host country.

But how can one develop a social network in Puerto Rico? Where and how to meet people there?

How easy is it to meet locals? What about cultural specificities?

Share your advice and experience!

Many thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Grab people off the street, knock them over the head, take them home and chain them to a post, don't let them leave until they promise to be your best friend  :D

Getting involved with the community, in church, watering hole, political rallies, save a dog/cat organization, flea markets, anywhere people gather with a purpose that you agree or are comfortable with, are excellent ways of meeting people.

If you don't like my first or second options above, carry a sign that says I Need A Friend :joking:

Meetings at AAA may work too.

We're serious foodies, so we do a lot of hanging out in restaurants and love to explore new ones and try new dishes. When we see somebody eating something that looks really good, we ask them what they ordered and how good it is. We seem to meet lots of people that way.

Go to the DMV you will have several hours in a line to strike a conversation with other people.  :joking:

On a serious note ... Get out of the gated community, go do something exciting, boating, scuba, hike, any clubs, learn dominos, exchange vegetables or fruits with the neighbors, help them fix their flat. Basically reach out and talk to people.

You are likely to find similar interests or believes to build a friendship on.
Invite the members of the forum to lunch or dinner, we like free food and booze.

Hi Everyone...
Yes, being a "fish out of water" can be a daunting experience.
I suggest doing what I have done... find things you like to do and join a dance class... cooking, outdoor sports or the New Comers Club of Puerto Rico, which their job is to help people relocating to PR and have resources to share as well.
I am currently looking for friends and support/resources for eating RAW...  I am find the selection of food/snacks ect, here in PR a bit tough.  Would love to start a group and do a dinner night where everybody brings something raw, which there are wonderful recipes. 
I'm in the San Juan area and would like to hear if anybody is interested.

Be happy and enjoy the Island! :)
Lynn Stravecky

Hi Journeyandbeyond, What is the link to the new comers club?

The newcomers group (newcomerspr) meets for coffee and lunch every month - but many of the people in it have been here for years, so it's not just for new to the island people.  It's a great way to expand your social circle!

http://www.newcomerspr.com/

Depends on where in Puerto Rico you are moving to .You will find people on here . I have found living in different places in pr and it depends on if you speak Spanish. I speak no Spanish. So when we lived at our first 2 places it was pretty hard to find English speaking people  especially for our child. However we use to drive to Rincon on Thursday evenings for the art walk. We found most protection spoke English here.  So we decided to move to Rincon .Love it here. We also have several Facebook pages and people meet on there and share as well .This is a great Facebook page . We have meet more people here and it's been very enjoyable . We don't drink and we are a couple between 45 and 50 with a 6 yr old child.   If you want to private message me on here you can or you can go to friends if Rincon page on Facebook.  You will find me there as zazoo pitts

Meetup.com has several groups for meeting people here in Puerto Rico.  I have also tried to find things to do like yoga to meet people.  I have had hit and miss success.  I have met really nice people but no one I have "clicked" with yet.  Anyone who lives in the San Juan area and likes wine, coffee, books and travel please feel free to email me.  I am a bit of an introvert but come out of my shell when I feel comfortable. Cheers!

Hi MLSR,
Excellent suggestion, I use it here in MA, they have a lot of activities in the states.

I was not aware people used it in PR.

What is AAA other that Acueductos? Would like to know more!

Where are you living now?

Hey MLSR: We have an apartment in Old Town - love wine and good food, travel, but are more tea drinkers than coffee drinkers -- unless it has something "fun" in it. We are non-religious and think Donald Trump is an ass. If any of that "clicks" with you, let me know.

AltaG wrote:

What is AAA other that Acueductos? Would like to know more!

Autoridad de aquedustos y alcatarillados
Authority of aquaducts and waste waters basically. Alcantarilados are the drains on the roads.

The AAA i meant was the alcoholic anonimous group
Living is the states at the moment, Massachsetts = MA

Anyone know a good place for a boozy Sunday brunch on the island?

MLSR: Can't send a private message. I'll email you.

I sent you PM too lgustaf...

It takes time, just like moving to anywhere else.  Start a meetup.com group for one of your interests. Look at Para la Naturaleza.  Try a church/religious group for socializing.  Set up a get-together for folks on this forum.  Check out the museum activites, continuing education programs at the colleges, volunteer somewhere.  It will all unfold in time.

I received a contact request which I accepted. Was their more?

No. Still trying to figure this site out.  Removed my original reply because it was public (I thought it was direct to you) and then resent directly.  I'm going to friend you on Facebook now because it is easier to maneuver ...

:Thought so!!!

You can also find them on Facebook..

Also try Toastmasters international in San Juan... it's Bilingual, interesting and can improve your public speaking skills  in both languages if you are so inclined.

https://www.facebook.com/prtoastmastersclub/

if you are a university graduate and a woman :
http://sanjuan-pr.aauw.net/about-us/

Caribbean 12 step club in San Turce   not just for AA meetings.

http://www.caribbean12step.org/

mostly English speaking folks, great club house and activities.

It's even harder when you don't speak Spanish as in my case. :( I'm trying though.

we have met lots of great folks thru this board, visiting with neighbors, and meeting folks at home depot (one of my frequent hang-outs) and other places.   

I also think hobbies activities and events of personal interest - we went to a plant festival last week,  have a good likelihood of meeting people that share your interests.

The PR people are super friendly.  Most expats tend to stay around other expats, but I really recommend against that. When we moved here we knew nobody, and within 10 days we were SCUBA diving with a former cabinet member of the govt.   PR has the most educated population of anywhere I have ever lived - and I've lived in mainly college towns.  Many many people have dual advanced degrees, like a law degree and CPA or MD.  And they work hard too, most have at least 2-3 sources of income, like a CPA during the day and own a river tour service on the weekends.  So get involved at events, churches, etc.  Rotary is a great way to meet very cool people, the one in San Juan is all English.

If you wish to meet other expats, they are mostly very eager to meet other expats as they are in the same boat as you.  Living in a high rise in Condado, you are sure to meet people just in the elevator.  Go to anything that says Act 20/22, as these are all expats.  If you live in Dorado, especially in Sabanera or Ritz Plantation, there are mostly expats.

A 2nd the Newcomers group, its all newcomers and a lot of good people.

Best of luck.  PR is the most amazing place on Earth.  If you keep your eyes wide open to its charms, you'll fall in love with it.

Very well said side241 and welcome back, we have not seen you in months.

Getting involved, meeting people at social clubs, church, and hobbies are another way to find people you can relate to.

Spanish helps but most people you are likely to find in those places will speak some English.

Side241. Where on the island do you live?

That's my question too, where do you live? cause I wanna move there.

I actually haven't moved down yet. I'm still in the Atlanta area, but we bought an apartment in Old Town and have been fixing it up. We are using it as a vacation home and to rent to vacationers until we can move into it.

Most everybody in Old Town is bilingual, even though I'm tryng my best to learn Spanish, and I love the Old World Colonial charm and proximity to grocery stores, restaurants, hardware, museums, beach, art galleries, etc. I can walk to everything, or take the free trolly that stops in front of my building, if the weather's bad. It's a lively place and fairly easy to meet people, because there's always something going on, especially on the weekends. You can't get bored, and nobody looks at you weird if you feel like tangoing down the street.

The homeowners in my rather small building are an eclectic bunch: a native PR couple, a guy and his wife from Russia, an attorney, originally from NYC, an East Indian grandmother, also from New York, who does crystal therapy.

In Old Town it seems a lot of folks like hanging out at the local "watering holes", which happens to be a great place to meet people. I went down on my own at the end of October, to work on the apartment, and would just walk around town or pop in somewhere for a drink, when I felt I needed a break. When people saw I was alone, they would come up to me, introduce themselves and ask it there was anything they could do to help me get settled,

Can't wait to get back down next week.

Spencer: I found out that Side241 is in a high rise in Condado.

Condado is a nice area, IMHO. You can walk to everything, including Old Town. Some of the high rises are very swank.

Some of those high rise condos are 3-5k a month

Local watering holes are a good place. After a couple of Medallas your Spanglish is getting better. :)
Most Puerto Ricans are friendly people and will do their best to make you feel welcomed.

That says it all then.

Whether in a expensive area or in a simple barrio out in the boonies, joining locals for a drink and a chat always works. :D

This Sunday, July 17, 2pm to 4pm I am hosting a meetup for ukuleles and other acoustic instruments.  I have extra ukuleles and we will start with the basics. Next we'll play some easy songs and then let the more experienced musicians do their thing while we try to play along.  I am in Palmas del Mar in Humacao.  Adult beverages might be consumed.  Spontaneous swimming  in the pool might be a result.   I tried to post this in the events section but I am having some connectivity issues.   PM me if you plan to come and need directions.

It sounds so tempting!   I wish I were closer.  But I'm not sure my banjo & I would fit in well.  Looking for anyone on the island who picks.....

There is a banjo player (among other instruments) who lives in San Juan that is supposed to come on Sunday.  How far would you travel for a musical get-together?