Immigrating from Belgium to Puerto Rico

Hello
I was wondering if immigrating to Puerto Rico is hard and actually worth it?
My girlfriend lives in Puerto Rico and we have a Long Distance Relationship, we are still thinking about where we should live.
In Belgium or in Puerto Rico?

If in Puerto Rico, anyone knows any possible employers who are willing to be my sponsor?

I could send u my resume if you want.

Regards
Arno

:D

Hi Arno and welcome to Expat.com!

As you already found out, the rules for immigration to PR are the same as in USA of which PR is a territory.

The chance that you would find an employer willing to sponsor you is really small, even if you have some special qualifications. The economy is in a bad shape and many people are without work. Even if an employer would be willing to hire you they would require that you have a work permit (or a visa that allows you to work).
To get a visa with assistance of a company you would have to work for them in Europe and try to get a transfer to PR.

Is it worth it, you ask. I'd say yes but of course it's a personal decision. I personally like it here and the chance that I go back to Europe is really small.
Finding a job is going to be difficult but if you have a financial buffer and/or your girlfriend has a good job you would have time on your hands and might get lucky.
You could also consider to start your own business, here or internet based (something you could already start over there..)

The easiest way to get your green card is to get married to your girlfriend and have her (or a family member) as your sponsor.

thanks for your reply Gary, now marriage isn't an option yet because she told me she's not ready for that yet.

and starting an internet company doesn't sound that bad, since i'm pretty good at webdesigning.

However how do u get a work permit if your running your own internet business, they could tell me that i can run that company in Belgium too?

agten wrote:

However how do u get a work permit if your running your own internet business, they could tell me that i can run that company in Belgium too?

You got that right. No work permit or visa will be granted in that case.

You would need a green card or a visa to live & work here. Since a green card through marriage is (not yet) possible you may consider to enter in a green card lottery. I'm not sure if they still exist but that's easy to find out.
Don't pay a shady website or agent money - the lotteries are free to enter.

The other way would obtaining be a visa through a company. The best way to go that route is trying to get employed by a company in Europe that also has offices here and try to get a transfer. There are not a lot of European companies that have offices here but some of the Dutch (and  Belgian) people I met here on the island worked for companies like that and were here as an expat for some time.

Could you give me some names of those companies Gary?

I'll send you a PM with some names, OK? :)

Is your girlfriend amenable to moving to Belgium?

Yes after her studies we are planning to live in Belgium together.