Arrived, finally!

Although I have visited, living here for a week is somewhat different.  i absolutely luv it!  I hope to contribute as much as forum members have contributed to me in the future.  Enough for now, off to the beach.  Buenas!!!

Good luck, Chuck!

So how has it been so far? Tell us of your expierences

I haven't had time to enjoy.  Between scouring clean my new apartment and spending time with my extended family. I've been able to do the beach once and Luquillo once.  (a "visit" in Puerto Rico lasts about six hours, forget about popping in for a quickie).

My original concerns were related to crime;  that's bogus.  I lived in Boston for most of my life, and in San Juan simple street smarts are all that is required when you visit Santurce.  Ocean Park and Condado are completely safe.  Don't know about Hato Rey, etc...haven't been yet.  I have felt less safe in certain parts of Massachusetts, to be honest.

Except for the language, it's exactly like living in NYC or Boston.  A very sophisticated population (you betta dress when you leave your house!), amazing architecture, higher end shopping, art and antique boutiques.  I don't know why anyone would not want to live here.  But then, I'm accustomed to the minor inconveniences of urban living (traffic, noise, grit, etc.)

The trade off is obvious-beaches, beaches, beaches, and a hot sexy populace that loves to salsa.

I did my research before coming, and my worst fears are not realized, and my greatest expectations have been matched and far surpassed.  One doesn't make this type of change without having a bit of chutzpah, and anyone thinking about such a change needs to have or grow a pair of brass ones. 

For me at least, it's paradise so far.

One negative note:  the mosquitoes ("majes") are wicked bad.  This is going to require some adjustment.

Good luck Chuck. I hope Puerto Rico is everything you hoped it would be and more. Being from Boston you won't have much a learning curve with the local drivers. Try Avon's "Skin so Soft" to keep away the mosquitos.

Gregg

Chuck

Glad to hear of your expierences so far. I hope everything continues to go well. There is definitely a need for a postive spin on things in this forum. Although not spending a lot of time there will make for surprises (good and bad). I am glad to hear someone from a large city is able to adapt well.