Looking for work

Hi all,
I live in Jakarta with my Indonesian wife, I am looking for any kind or work.
Any help would be great, thanks
Frank

Welcome to the forum.
Indonesia's rules regarding work are pretty strict but it is possible to get work. What are you trained in and, most importantly, are you on a KITAS or a KITAP?

Thanks for the reply.
I was married to a Indonesian in Sept, I dont have a Kitas yet. I have worked in building maintenance for many years so I have many skills, welding, electrical and more. I have been living in Jakarta since Sept but came back to the US recently. I am returning to Jakarta soon and would like to find some kind of work, anything would do for now.
Thanks
Frank

This is more difficult than it sounds as Indonesian rules are designed to protect jobs for Indonesians, that meaning it can be difficult or impossible to get a work permit.
The rule of thumb is, if an Indonesian can do the job and is available to do so, you can't get a work permit (the rules can be bendy, but NEVER with a bribe, always be charming the people you deal with).

Openly working illegally is a very bad idea.

A lot of people get their wife to start a business and quietly work in the background, all out of sight and, unless you upset the wrong people, no one will even care. I know a bunch of people that run companies but they're never seen actually working and it's all owned by the spouse.
If your "wife's" company employs locals, no one will even look at you unless you make it obvious as action against you would defeat the object of the rules.

To the KITAS, make sure you have all the appropriate documents, including your LEGALISED birth certificate and, if you were married outside Indonesia, your LEGALISED marriage certificate, then things are usually pretty easy.

We were thinking of starting a business, what business we dont know. I am 55 and just trying to make it to retirement, I plan on staying here when I retire, is so much cheaper to live here on social security.
We were married here so that is not a problem and I have my birth certificate.
Any ideas for a small business would be great, I am just learning Jakarta and getting used to the change from the US.
Thanks,
Frank

Jakarta is probably the most expensive area in Indonesia so perhaps you might want to consider a smaller town, but one with easy access by train or road to larger cities.
Plenty to go at and you'll find rents shrink by up to a factor of five or ten compared to Jakarta.
Think I'm joking about the rents? Not at all.
Rents in small towns start very cheap and, if you have a prenup so you can buy legally, you can get a house for 300 million in a smaller town that would cost a billion in the Jakarta area.
Buy land and build yourself knocks that down a lot more.

Fwb3566 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.
I was married to a Indonesian in Sept, I dont have a Kitas yet. I have worked in building maintenance for many years so I have many skills, welding, electrical and more. I have been living in Jakarta since Sept but came back to the US recently. I am returning to Jakarta soon and would like to find some kind of work, anything would do for now.
Thanks
Frank

Like mentioned earlier it's quite difficult for expats to get employment within Indonesia, with the trades you mention you would more than likely have to show (as example) your trade qualification I.e welding inspection or electrical engineering degree with proven experience as they are some highly qualified Indonesians
For example the current job I'm at they is 2000 personnel, expat wise 8 company who have been here for 30 years plus and 7 others (I'm one of the 7) 15 from 2000 is pretty normal and extremely competitive for positions and day rate for expats, that said they are some huge jobs coming up / started in 2018/19 within Indonesia with USA and European companies

At the moment we have rented a nice house in Jakarta for $2,600 a year. We just went to visit some of her family in Bandung, it is much nicer than Jakarta and cooler. After our one year is up we are going to look at moving to Bandung.

There is some possibly good news to be had. This post on my news thread gives an outline.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … =7#4055376