Dorado, San Juan, or Rincon/Mayaguez for business owner with kids?

Hi there,

My husband and I are excited to be moving to PR this spring!  We're from NYC, mid-30's, with two kids under 3 years old.  I speak intermediate Spanish (and look forward to becoming fluent); my husband doesn't speak any Spanish but is willing to learn.

We're going to be on the island in February to look at homes, and would love to learn more about different neighborhoods from people who are living there.  I've been doing a lot of internet research but would love to hear from real people about your experiences on the ground. Here's our criteria list:

1. Safe

2. Family-friendly, near a good private school.  Right now we live in a neighborhood that's filled with young families and kids, and it's just so easy to make friends, do playdates and BBQs with our neighbors, etc.  I would love to live in a similar neighborhood in Puerto Rico. 

In terms of schools and preschools, I'm aware of:

Dorado: Montessori Dorado, TASIS Dorado, Dorado Academy
San Juan Metro Area: the Baldwin School, St John's School, Robinson School
Mayaguez: Casita Montessori de Mayaguez, Escuela Ubuntu, SESO

Would LOVE any feedback on these schools from parents who currently have their kids in them, or advice on which other schools to investigate.  I would prefer to put them into a Spanish-speaking environment so that they learn Spanish, but unfortunately all the top schools seem to be English-speaking.

3. Close to a beach.  Doesn't have to be on a beach, but within say, 10-15 minutes drive to a beach that's clean and not too crowded.

4. Close to nature and outdoor activities.  We like to get outdoors and hike, rock climb, swim in the ocean.  We don't know how to surf but would love to learn.

5. Technical talent available.  My husband and I own our own software business, and we're looking to hire software developers and other technical talent in Puerto Rico.  Therefore, we're thinking of locating the business either in San Juan where most businesses seem to be, or in Mayaguez near the university.  Any advice on this?  Would it be possible to hire a good team to be based in Mayaguez, or do the best people want to live and work near San Juan?

6. Mix of locals and expats, not too touristy.  I'd like to live in a neighborhood that's not entirely expats; I'd hate to come to PR only to live in an expat bubble filled with other mainland Americans and not learn any Spanish or pick up any of the local culture.  I also don't want to live in an area where throngs of tourists are constantly coming through (e.g. not Old San Juan).

As my title implies, the areas that we're considering are either the San Juan Metro Area, Dorado, or Rincon / Mayaguez. 

San Juan seems like the business hub, is most convenient to the airport, and has good schools but I'm concerned about the traffic (which I've heard can be very bad) and crime. 

Dorado seems to check most of our boxes at least on paper, but it would also come with a 30+ min commute into San Juan each way and also seems maybe a bit too expat-y.

Mayaguez / Rincon is intriguing to me as I've read so many raving reviews about the West coast of PR.  However, I'm concerned about whether it'll be too remote and difficult to build our business there.

Any feedback or advice about these different areas would be very much appreciated!  Thank you!

Hi! My wife and I spend six months a year in Rincon (we are there now). It is a wonderful place, full of life, vitality, beaches, and community. It is a diverse being a mixture of expats (from all over, note norte  americanos are not really expats as we are all American citizens although that was hard to discern after Maria), generational puertorriqueños. There are many entrepreneurs here ranging from restaurants/food carts (tasty) to people using Rincon as their base, and working via the internet (most excellent combination).  Rincon is also a surfing mecca and there is thriving surfing culture that was responsible for "discovering" the area circa 1968 when there were no "tourist" accommodations at all. In terms of shopping there are two very good supermarkets in town and others a short distance away. Many people belong to Sam's club which is 20 minutes away, as well as Home Depot, the movies, and KMart. There is Sunday market offering locally grown produce and a festive Art Walk every Thursday.

I suggest that you become a member of Friends Of Rincon on Facebook (URL below) and post your questions there.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= … f%20rincon

Mama Mel's is a preschool accepting ages 3-5 years and would be a good all-around experience for your kids. The programs includes Spanish immersion. I know Melanie personally and she is really good at this. The Facebook page is below, I suggest you give her a call to get info about her program and also information about education for kids over 5.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/MammaMelsCh … e_internal

By the way, what type of talent are you looking for?

Please contact me at *** if you have any questions.

Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : For your own safety please avoid sharing your personal contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

P.S.: Rincon is in excellent shape after the hurricane. Restaurants are open, most have electric and water, some still waiting for internet. Weather is great with more rain than usual. Tourists and snowbirds are arriving. Check out AirBnB for places to stay like this one (we are staying in the same complex):
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/11258275

Aguadilla, where I live, ticks all of your boxes. TONS of beaches, safe, city amenities, close to nature (Toro Negro, Bosque Guajataca, Cabo Rojo wildlife preserve, and much more), home to the ONLY ice skating rink in the Caribbean, not touristy at all, local technical talent is readily available, and many good schools to choose from (Froebel being the main one). Our kids went to Borinquen BIlingual School and we LOVED every second of it and they learned a ton.

Hi, Vic, how are you and Karen? So glad to hear that Rincon is faring well and most businesses are open.

Hello my husband, myself and our three young kids are planning our move to Rincon as well. He has been looking for a job, what are some requirements of the position you may be hiring for?  Coincidentally we'll be on the island in February looking at homes as well

We are just wrapping up our quick tour of Puert Rico as we are planning for a possible move here later this year with our 3 kids. We looked at Dorado, Isabela, Rincon and surrounding areas. We are still not 100% sure, but are heavily leaning towards Rincon. We just need to figure out exactly where to live and schooling for our 3 kids (11, 7 & 4). Easy right?

@Archsurfer, what do you like about Rincon vs the other places?

@jellojello, we went to Dorado, Isabela and all around Rincon.  For us Rincon seemed to have more of the paradise lifestyle we are after.  Isabela had a good size to it, was far enough away from San Juan and had the beach/surf atmosphere, but Rincon seemed a bit more clean and chill (and better surfing options).  Also, while doing a search for yoga or surfing, it seemed Rincon has more options, and therefore more of that type of vibe and community. Dorado seemed to be more family friendly but had a suburbia feel to it that we are moving away from.  We only spent several days quickly touring these areas, so we could have it wrong, but that is our takeaway.  So we are now focusing our research in the Rincon area for neighborhoods, housing, education options, activities, etc.

Archsurfer wrote:

@jellojello, we went to Dorado, Isabela and all around Rincon.  For us Rincon seemed to have more of the paradise lifestyle we are after.  Isabela had a good size to it, was far enough away from San Juan and had the beach/surf atmosphere, but Rincon seemed a bit more clean and chill (and better surfing options).  Also, while doing a search for yoga or surfing, it seemed Rincon has more options, and therefore more of that type of vibe and community. Dorado seemed to be more family friendly but had a suburbia feel to it that we are moving away from.  We only spent several days quickly touring these areas, so we could have it wrong, but that is our takeaway.  So we are now focusing our research in the Rincon area for neighborhoods, housing, education options, activities, etc.

I have to agree with your analysis. I have diferente taste than yours, that is why I am in the east instead. Your description of Rincon is in line with what it looks to me. It is like Coastal California to me.
Surfing town, bikini clad ladies on roller blades and hopping beach bar to beach bar, menus in English and English signs everywhere, natives not welcome.