Getting contractors

Hi my name is Kimberly, my husband and I just purchased a small home on the east side of PR, we are looking forward to moving out there once the home is fixed. We had so many issues getting contractors to come see the home and the prices to fix our roof is outrageous. I'm just looking for suggestions or advice.

I was told that the hospitals in SJ are up to state standards. I have visited a few and yes you have to supply your own things.

you can send your cv to my email address  [link moderated]

I am currently looking for a contractor as well.  I was able to find the list of contractors registered with the government (At least these ones are trying to run a formal business): https://www.daco.pr.gov/wp-content/uplo … lbiUC0FcrM

Hi mercadoreidkimberly,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please note that  a new thread has been created with your posts in the Puerto Rico forum so that you can communicate easily with the other members.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team  :cheers:

Hi Kimberly,  Just beware there are many contractors with fake "license's " and "Certificates".  Also, never pay them in advance.  Keep a list of your things, and check this before they leave. Never go off and leave your house unguarded.

I, too was buying a house there in PR.  I hired a contractor to start work on it,  and I would arrive on the island in a Fortnight.  When I did arrive, My house was stripped of all the doors, windows, copper plumbing, copper electric cables,  garage doors and windows taken. The refrigerator, the freezer, the cookstove, the washer, the dryer, the water heater, closet rods, two ceiling fans and 2 chandeliers, anything metal and 28 window drapes. The contractor had just simply vanished. NEVER TRUST A CONTRACTOR.

Then I hired a painter to paint the outside house. Its a big house. I gave him $150 to paint the front and sides . Then I gave him $50 to paint the back. By and by I went out to see him. He also had vanished, along with the paint.

Next the tree trimmer. $50 not in advance. when the job is done. A bit later I heard the my chainsaw start up then die. Well same thing. Worker and my Chainsaw. I lost a weedwhacker, a fruit picking tool and machete the same way.....

My wife had her cell phone stolen while she was in chemo. When my wife was dying in the hospital, I stayed with her 24/7 for two weeks until she died.  When I went back to our house, every single belonging we had was stolen. furniture, beds appliances, paintings, cameras. laptops.  I am not making all this up.  NEVER LEAVE YOUR HOUSE UNGUARDED