Dating options in PR?

First off...Hello.   At some point in the next few years I would like to purchase a 2nd home/Condo/whatever in Puerto Rico that will eventually become a main home.  I prefer the West half of the Island but not locked into anything.  I am currently single and 47. 

I had a thought while driving to work this morning.....If/when I make this choice, and if I am not in a relationship, what are the chances of developing a relationship with someone local?  This is a tricky subject.  What are the Local views on relationships with people from the Mainland?  I am aware of the strong culture in PR so this could be a problem I would imagine but I hope it wouldn't.

Can anyone give me any insight?

Your chances are good to meet and date others in the island. Unlike other places we are not hung up with race or country of origin. The original mix of PR, "La Raza" is made of Spaniard, Taino Indian, and Africans that originally came in as slaves. We mixed and since then more more other races and countries have mixed in.

I don't know your age, but the younger you are and the more activities you do, the more likely you will meet the right person. Don't sweat it.

You are right about one thing, we have a very strong sense of who we are and pride ourself in our mixed culture. So you will need to learn to dance Salsa, and eat mofongo, LOL.

Thank you.  I already dance Salsa but prefer Bachata.  Love all the music.  I am currently learning Spanish and that is very difficult for me.  One of my dance instructors is originally from Ponce so when I get better at speaking he said he will help me with the conversation aspect of it.

Have you seen West Side Story? :D

Oxmarqt wrote:

Thank you.  I already dance Salsa but prefer Bachata.  Love all the music.  I am currently learning Spanish and that is very difficult for me.  One of my dance instructors is originally from Ponce so when I get better at speaking he said he will help me with the conversation aspect of it.

Bachata is good too, it is very popular. As to Spanish, I HIGHLY recommend Fluenz Spanish course. My wife which is from the states uses it. It is primarily conversational but you learn to speak it, read it and write it, all at the same time. I think it is excellent given her progress and how well she pronounces the words.
https://fluenz.com they have it in Amazon for around 368 or so. Lots of good reviews

westernprguy wrote:

Have you seen West Side Story? :D

LOL, I literally happened to watch the last 3/4 of it this past weekend.

If you can dance, you're good to go.

Just walk outside - it's very easy to meet people for dating. Easier than making friends, actually.

People are people, but honestly, this culture is so friendlier than most.  Meeting people is easy.

I will speak from personal experience with this..it may not hurt for you  to venture online.. I met my now wife (and soul mate ) while living in Denver and she was here in Puerto Rico..   I'm glad you brought this topic up, because many people come to PR for various reasons  but for me it all started w/ an online encounter 12 years ago and a  promise to my wife's father that if he would allow his daughter to come w/ me to Denver for a while that one day I would bring her back!!   

I've been out of the dating game for a while , but I have to imagine that now the dating sites have expanded far beyond match.com and a few others that were around when I used them and I think are great for any age level...and could ease the burden of worrying about the language barrier.  You never know maybe you could have a similar experience as mine and possibly even a reason to move here sooner vs. later.....but at least you would have an additional way to meet people that are already here on the island.

I met my wife on badoo, an online dating site. I found there were a lot of fakers online, but it was fairly easy to weed them out. We've been together 5 years now. She is an angel, and I wish I had met her, when I was in my 20's, but maybe it was God's will, that we met when we did.

Thank you everyone for your responses, they were helpful.  No one wants to live alone forever and I was just curious about the possibilities.  You never know how you will be received in general but more so when there is a strong cultural difference.

Culture is not as big of a problem, people in PR have a strong national sense of self and strong culture, but they (for the most part) love the US and the way of life there. Most Americans if respectful, will be received with open arms, even by the parents. Respect is very important, even if they don't seem respectful to you.

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!! :)

My approach has been a little bit different. I moved to a small fishing town (Naguabo) very much on purpose. I also work from home --- so I kinda did the "dating" math before the move and determined that I'd be okay taking some time for myself.

I think if you're active... you will just naturally meet people. Once I started playing music in Luquillo I started to meet a lot of locals, and they introduced me to other locals... the rest is history. While I haven't dated since moving to PR I do see that I'm noticed. Well.. it could be being a black guy that's not from here - lol - but I think "Aye papi negrito" with the big smile is a good thing. LOL. If not - I'll pretend that it is. :)

Good luck brother!

PS: learning the language is a HUGE plus!!

"Aye papi negrito"  is most definitely a good thing, go talk to them. They are likely considering jumping your bones.

What of your married but your spouse isn't moving with you right away,  but you still want to go do things....i don't want a relationship, just some buddies, cocktails and dancing occasionally. I hope there is a place to make friends in fajardo?

^ Yes. Have you been to Luqullo? There's Boardrider's and some other spots there for dancing and drinks. Once people see you a few times they will just start to talk to you.

For me, being black, it took a while. But then everyone pretty much determined that I wasn't leaving and started talking to me and introducing me to other people. The married people didn't mind introducing me to their friends even with me not being married.

It's a little hard for me to just breeze into a bar/club....alone. I guess I'm going to have to. I was hoping to make a friend  in my neighborhood to go with me....I'm closer to Fajardo..but I do know where Luguilo is. I won't be there until the end of the month and I have so much to do, it will be a while. Thanks for the info.

^ It's really not. The reason for this is people expect new people (tourists) all the time. Trust  me - just go for it. The waitresses and staff are used to new faces, so they will definitely engage with you. I am next door in Naguabo and I can show you around if you need - and I can introduce you to some great people. Just make sure it's okay with the hubby --- and we'll have to come up with a secret code for if I see a hottie and have to go talk to her - hahaha.