CHEAPEST WAY TO SHIP CLOTHES, ETC

As the title suggests, looking for the most cost-efficient way to ship my clothes and other small items to San Juan should I decide to move there.  Went to UPS.com for an initial quote, but wondering if there was a cheaper method.  Any suggestions are most welcome.

Fill up a suitcase or a big box with stuff whenever you come down. It's cheaper to pay for an extra bag on a flight, than shipping down by any means. You can rent a storage unit in PR for very little money.

cab2345 wrote:

As the title suggests, looking for the most cost-efficient way to ship my clothes and other small items to San Juan should I decide to move there.  Went to UPS.com for an initial quote, but wondering if there was a cheaper method.  Any suggestions are most welcome.

Yes use USPS. UPS considers Puerto RICO as a different country so they charge you International rate which is a lot higher. See if you can use the fix price boxes from the post office, may be shipper than regular rate. But even without that USPS will be cheaper than UPS.

A lot depends on the number of boxes, if you have enough you can use UPack, or get a mover. We used La Rosa Del Monte Mover, they have a small charge for pick up and delivery, but shipping of their standard large boxes is around 25-35 dollars a box I dont recall. You will need to call around. I sent 69 Large boxes for under 2k including pickup and delivery but we did our own box packing.

Thanks.  We'll have around 20-25 boxes, so I'll certainly check the USPS.

Spirit airlines lets you can take boxes as checked baggage.  My husband and I each buy a checked bag and fill two boxes with stuff.  The weight limit is 40 lbs each, or total of 80 lbs distributed between the two boxes.  That's quite a lot of stuff.  Not sure what the dimension limits are, but it's posted on their page.  If Spirit does this, I'm sure other carriers do as well.

When we moved to PR, we flew southwest. Southwest allows 2 free checked bags per passenger, 50 pounds each. Myself, my wife, and our two kids were able to move 800 pounds of stuff in plastic totes for free. It's not too much of a hassle and definitely saves money over shipping them.

SpecialKev wrote:

When we moved to PR, we flew southwest. Southwest allows 2 free checked bags per passenger, 50 pounds each. Myself, my wife, and our two kids were able to move 800 pounds of stuff in plastic totes for free. It's not too much of a hassle and definitely saves money over shipping them.

And gets there faster

Idiotic math error in my above post. Only 400 pounds moved for free BUT you can carry a LOT with 400 pounds.

Yeah, but I have to put my butt on a Spirit airplane, haha.  No thanks.  But seriously, thanks for the advice, much appreciated  :)

In my post, I was talking about Southwest, who is a far sight better than spirit, and the checked bags are free.

I was referencing anabfalter's comment

Yeah, Spirit is horrible, but they are the only carrier that has a decent connection to Aguadilla from Detroit.  Knocking on wood, but we have flown this route quite a lot and haven't had any trouble with the flights.  Detroit to San Juan is a different story, however.

Hi, have you moved there?  Looking for advice on how to ship clothes too.

Ok first of all where are you moving from? I have a friend who moved from florida and had here stuff shipped here. It cost like $10 for each and $25 to have it shipped.  It came on a tralier on a cargo boat.  The have a location in quebradillas and another location on the east side as well.

Hello. hope you havent send your clothes yet..here is a better way...Find  La Rosa Del Monte is a moving company. Get yourself a plastic 55gl. drum with top place your items in there put bricks if you want. The weight doesn't has much to do. Call the company an they wil work with you in delivery an pick up. You be surprise. I do it all the time. You pick up in PR at their warehouse in Bayamon. There is a 40.00 $ charge for Hacienda per drum.  No hassle an secure. I would tell you the price per drum but unaware of your location.

Miami

Please clarify. It reads as though Hacienda charges some sort of $40 excise tax on the 55 gallon drum. Is that correct? What did Rosa del Monte charge to ship the drum itself, and from where?

Thanks.

Yes it seems that way. I ship to plastic 55gl. drums It arrived to Bayamon.  Average  weight about for both 425lbs.  The cost each $150.+Tax out of Orlando, Fl.  Arrived 2weeks later.  Payed Hacienda $40.00 For Tax also.  You have to take to them an also pick yourself. An you can put a lot in a Plastic Drum!!!

PAN AMERICAN LATINO EXPRESS INC
"Moving to Florida & Moving in Puerto Rico"

CALL
GET DIRECTIONS
Address
Carr 2 Km 1.6 Bo Cocos, Quebradillas, Puerto Rico 00678
Phone
787-895-8920
They also have a location on the east side

Wow! Thanks a lot! Seems to be the cheapest I've seen. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get 400 funds into the drums themselves.

What about moving a small shipping container full of boxes from Los Angeles?

Hi Don,

I stopped by Home Depot but they weren't very helpful since you have to buy the drums on line. Any particular one you recommend that doesn't come with a spigot? I am concerned about how the top fits: I wanted it very  secure like the industrial steel versions as I don't want the stuff falling out all over the place.

Thanks,
Norry