Permanently moving from Canada to Brazil

Hi there,

PLEASE HELP!!
Moving to Sao Paulo
I would like suggestions, recommendations, and advice on our situation.
Looking to be gone by February 2017-

I am a Naturalized (Canadian Citizen)- I do have my 5 Years Tourist Visa which is still valid until 2019. and my wife is Brazilian Citizen (Has Canadian Permanent Residence).

1)Prior to coming to Canada, we didn't pay too much attention and did not register our marriage in Brazil.
(We were married here in Vancouver Canada).

2)My wife's BR passport and Canadian PR is in her maiden name (not changed to marital name and marriage not registered in Brazil).

3)My spouse has been living here in Canada for about 10 months (Working full time)-

Now,
We have decided to move to Brazil permanently.
What would be the first steps?
Here is what I am understanding (maybes and dos?):
1) Register our marriage through BR consulate (get appropriate documentation--also translating certificates).
2) Re-apply for a name change her Canadian PR (to match her passport which may be changed to her marital name?)
3) When PR and Passport and documentation are matched--
4)Apply for Viper (Brazilian Permanent residency for me). Since I have my 5 years tourist visa. Do we have to wait to register our marriage in Brazil (Have her name change as well done here? Or in Brazil?) Which will be best to do all these process?
5)Inform CRA about pursuit of emigrant status--File tax year of 2017 (can we do this in Brazil? and how complicated does it get?)
6)Close banks, inform all intuition of moving to another country situation
7)Question--Safest way to transfer or move our savings to Brazil? Make HSBC bank and stash our money there and withdraw in Sao Paulo? or... get a tax lawyer to take care of the declarations? (I don't know how this process works).
Also-- wouldn't having HSBC be an intuition bank in Canada? when leaving? how does this work?
8) How about driver's license?--I heard it is recommended to surrender driver's license to declare permanently moving out of Canada.

Should we just register our marriage in Brazil? (her PR and passport still under her maiden name)--
Or here in Canada?
What would be the best approach for our situation?
Any other steps that I should be aware of to safely leave Canada?
RRSP? Taxes?

Hello,

I got married in Brazil to my(now) Brazilian wife. At the time we did the process of applying for my permanent visa through the British consulate and the Policia Federal in Campinas.
The whole process can take 2 years from start to finish. Since you already got married in Canada it`s maybe easier and quicker to get the paperwork done there. I was told this can be far more straight forward than doing it in Brazil.

Regards,

Ewan

You don't have any problems.
Difference in last names not an issue.
Can be done in Brazil fairly easy.  You will need your marriage certificate translated and, with it, register your marriage in Brazil.  Mind you that if you have had prior marriages, or if your wife did, you will need the divorce documentation as well.  It will not take very long, but you will have to go to the Federal Police office perhaps 3 or 4 times.  They may want to visit your home to ascertain that you two actually live together.  It will probably take about 6 months for you to get your foreigner resident document.