Working in Belize

We are looking to move to the Cayo region to take over an existing business. How long is the average wait time for a work permit and how much does it cost?

MichelleandKaren wrote:

We are looking to move to the Cayo region to take over an existing business. How long is the average wait time for a work permit and how much does it cost?

I am doing this process now. The cost of a "self employment" work permit is the most expensive at BZD 2000.00 per year. The application says that it takes 3 - 4 weeks to be approved once it has been submitted. I wouldn't count on that though.

It will probably take longer to do the things that are required to submit it. You will need a police record which takes 3-4 weeks to receive if you go to the police station in San Ignacio. You can go to Belmopan and get an express one for Bz$25.00 if you go in the morning you can pick it up that afternoon. You will also be required to submit copies of pages of your passport including the blank pages for both your Work permit application as well as your application for a Police Record. You will also be required to submit 3 passport size photos with both applications.

Here is a link to the requirements FYI. https://www.expat.com/en/guide/central- … ermit.html

Depending on whether or not you will own the business or just be working it there may be additional requirements.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thank you so much for the information!