Paying bills in Australia

Hello everyone,

What bills do you pay? If you are renting, are bills included in the price of rent, and is this common practice in Australia?

How can you pay your bills (e.g. online, at provider's store, at the post office)? Which is the most convenient or reliable way?

With what frequency are different bills sent in Australia? Are there different deadlines for payment?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

No, utility bills are not normally included in price of rental except in cases of subletting where the main renter pays all the bills and charge the other renters a rental amt that includes bills.
Bills can be paid at Australian post but its more convenient to pay with BPay. Credit card payments attract surcharge.
Power and gas bills are bimonthly, water rates are monthly, council rates could be annually or by two or four instalments.
I once forgot to pay my Western Power bill by nearly one year and surprisingly my power wasnt cut off but i would advise you not to try!

Hi again :) ,

Some facts, if you are in rent, all your bills have to be on your name and you are paying them directly to suppliers (phone, internet, cable TV, electricity, gas but water is depend on rent agreement sometimes you have to pay to owner of the property or sometimes you don't have to pay at all).
Electricity and gas have to be paid usually every 3 months and payment can be direct debit or you can do payment by yourself.
Phone, internet, cable TV are monthly bills and usually have to be paid by direct debit.

I hope this info will help.

Have good day,
Jelena

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : off topic + please create a new thread on the Australia forum

Many bills can be paid by automatic debit. The supplier tells you how much the bill is and when they will debit your bank account.
That is the easy way.

Other than that, we use online banking, key in the suppliers code and the bill reference number, then the amount, and its done.
It can also be paid over the phone.

When renting, all you pay in the rent is 'the rent'.  You are responsible for everything else. However, sometimes water is included, under some circumstances.