Moving to Australia, best place for a younger person?

Hi all,

I am planning on moving to Australia next year and was wonderng what the best city to consider for a young professional (24).  Basically I want to move to the city with the msot opportunity and poeple my age to have a good time with.  Any suggestions?

The obvious answer is Sydney. This is coming from a 25 year-old from New Jersey who just arrived yesterday.

What do you want to do? What are you interests/hobbies.

You probably want to stick to either Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne. Why do you want to move from America though?

All my experience is with Melbourne and I think it's perfect for young people- with Melbourne Uni and RMIT there are lots of students as well as grads. My partner has been over to Sydney and he seems to think that it is home to a slightly older crowd (30s)

Depends what your into, Melbourne or Sydney for nightlife and culture deffinately. Something a little different try Byron Bay in NSW near the QLD border its unique and every first sunday of the month they have markets with heaps of great buys and at night the surf club is happening with a live band and great people to chill/dance the night out with.

Sydney has a more outdoors lifestyle, Melbourne is seen as the more cultural city I suppose. They're both fantastic cities to live and work and party in, with lots of young people.

As for opportunity, depends what industry you're in, really...

Living near star city in sydney is fantastic. its close to cbd darling harbour and exciting night life.

Yeah Sydney or Melbourne have plenty of opportunities and fun. We moved from a city of 1 million to Melbourne and find the number of things to do here a bit overwhelming.

It's more about where you choose to live in these cities than the cities themselves because of their sheer physical size.  Simply living in Melbourne/Sydney doesn't mean you're a reasonable distance to commute to every job or activity in the city.  Employers will look at your address and may even ask how you plan to get to work.  Likewise for entertainment, who wants to travel an hour across the city for some fun. 

So you really get stuck into the area of the city you settle into.  Pick an interesting neighborhood and try to meet as many people as you can.

Cheers,
Ian

If you're planning on moving to Australia "just because," you're in for a bit of a shock as it's completely different living and working here than it is to visit. So that's just fair warning.

Rather than moving here and then looking for work it might be more prudent to a search on careerone.com.au for the position you're looking for and take note of where the majority of the opportunities are going to be. There's going to be people your age wherever you go, so just stick to the capital cities and go where the company who's willing to sponsor you is. If your position is in demand, the company might even find you housing and fully set you up.

You'll have a good time in any of the major cities but I would say come to Perth. It has the most job opportunities atm, especially with anything to do with the mining industry. Also check out seek.com.au.  It can give you a listing of jobs in each city to give you a general reference.

Good Luck