Hungarian drivers license

Good day everyone,

Is there anyone who has gone thru the process of getting a Hungarian Drivers License?

Where do you go in Budapest to get this done?

How do you get an International Drivers License?

Any help would really be appreciated.

I had an international drivers license and it was a hassle always renewing it. I went for a drivers license here and found a school that does the course and tests in English. Thats the easiest way. Be prepared for some crazy translations.

Ok, you went for a drivers license here, (where's here?)

You found a school, again where?

Can you be more specific, please?

Im in Budapest, hence the reply  :)   I looked on google to find a driving school that does the course in English. Was the only way as I speak the language fluent but am very limited in reading or writing it.
I looked for a school close to my district and chose that. The course is not cheap but was the  only way I could do it.

Ok, good. Where's the school? - Where do you actually obtain the license.

I'm in Budapest also but quite new and don't know my way around. That's why I'm asking for specifics.

Getting a lot of back and forth email tag playing.

Thank you

Mailman1942 wrote:

Where do you go in Budapest to get this done?

Things change all the time here. Someone doing the process years ago may not have information that is relevant today. For example, this is an old source of a general "how to" but will give you an idea what you might still be expected to do:

http://www.budapest-moms.com/2011/01/ho … europeans/

The best is to contact the The National Transport Authority. And as I said, things here change, and most Hungarian government links at the above web site do not work anymore. For example, this is the new English web page for the The National Transport Authority:

http://www.nkh.gov.hu/en/web/english/

You can use the contact information at the bottom of the The National Transport Authority page to ask questions as to the current requirements.

Mailman1942 wrote:

How do you get an International Drivers License?

It is a permit, not a license. I got mine from AAA before I traveled abroad. You can apply by mail a well:

http://www.aaa.com/Vacation/idpf.html

Well then welcome to Budapest for starters. Again google search is the best as it depends on what district you are in as there are a few around. Helps to know what district you are in but again google search will help.
The course is run at the school you go to and then the test is done elsewhere.
You also have to do a first aid course which is also tested at another spot.
Again all this depends on the school and district you are in.
Sorry but again google  "autósiskola budapest" and ring a few that is in your area thats they only way to find out if the do the courses in English. You can also try looking on their web sites as they will list if they do.
Without knowing what district you are in makes it difficult as no use me giving you 1 on distirct 1 if you are in district 22.

I'm in District 1-
Thanks for your input so far. Looks like I'll have to go it alone!
Much obliged.

oh wow so you are in the same district as me :-)
Ok this is the school I did mine with and I recommend him
https://www.angloinfo.com/budapest/dire … chool-6419
His name is Tamas kuti.
Hardest part was for me is that I was a driving instructor back in Aus.......lol
Good luck with him. I found him to be very helpful and very friendly
Let me know how you go.

Oh by the way, its a different costing if you already have a license and can already drive
So chat with him first coz he will fill you in with the details

I did mine at Magyar Autóklub about 14 years ago. I applied at their office in the IVth district, where I took both the theory and practice lessons. First aid was completed at the office of the Red Cross by Árpád bridge, and the theory test was done at the Petzvál street office of the authority, on paper at that time. I completed practice test on the streets of the IVth district.

My licence is valid all across the EU, so I have no idea where or how iternational licences are made.

So the process starts by signing up at a driving school, from there, it is kind of automatic.

Rawlee wrote:

I have no idea where or how iternational licences are made.

There is no such thing as an International driving license. But there are a lot of people who think, by misinformation spread on-line, they can use their International Driving Permit (which is just an addendum translation of your actual license) as if it were a driving license. They can't, and it isn't.

Might be worth reading this:

DL Recognition in HU

Some info on procedure for non-EEA persons.

Not much helpful advice for important issues

What more do you need than the address of the office you seek, and the list of documents you need to provide?

this procedure can only be carried out at the Central Office of Administrative and Electronic Public Services (1133 Budapest XIII., Visegrádi utca 110-112.). You must produce the same documents as applicants from EEA States, and if you do not have a residence card you must also produce proof of your right of residence issued by the immigration authority (residence permit).

driving licence issued by the foreign authorities
    medical opinion certifying fitness
    proof of payment of the driving-licence issuing fee
    an authentic Hungarian translation of the driving licence (if the country in which the driving licence was issued is not a party to the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.

Sorry if I ruffled some feathers and pumped up an attitude! Thought I left all the that in the USA.
THANKS TO ANYONE WHO CONTRIBUTED TO MY FURTHER EDUCATION!
Color me gone, SEE YA!

Not sure what else you need as I have given as much info as I know, and I did my license 3 years ago here in Budapest.
All thats left to do is actually contact either who I suggested or google........apart from that I myself dont know what else your need without doing some leg work yourself
Good luck

klsallee wrote:
Rawlee wrote:

I have no idea where or how iternational licences are made.

There is no such thing as an International driving license.

The International Driving Permit (IDP), often (and incorrectly) referred to as International Driving License, is a document that, along with your valid home driver's license, allows you to legally drive a motor vehicle while abroad.