Residency Visa

I have just received my  60 day Visa from the Consulate in D.C.  Unfortunately, it took them 2 months to process my paperwork so some of my documents expired and now I am rushing to get another birth certificate and criminal background certificate and also to get them Apostille before my 60 days expire.
I am trying to apply for residency through the pension program. Can someone tell me how long will I have to stay in the country initially until all the paperwork goes through? Also, what do they check for in the medical exam?  And can anyone tell me roughly how much all this is going to cost me? Thank you!

Once you do medical exam you can leave the country again.

Cost - you doing this yourself?

I advise using a lawyer. Anywhere from 1,000 us and up.

Double check you need to redo anything once issued the 60 day visa, i dont think you have to. Just file within the 60 days now

Yes I have a lawyer and she told me that I needed another criminal background because it expires on 28 Aug and my Birth certificate on 6 Sept I thought the same as you once I got the visa and they saw the documents I would be good!

That is my understanding. Ive never heard of anyone redping them after approval!

Medial test - xray and blood work.

Thank you!!  That is what I thought as well!!

Hello Crstna30,

I regret it took two months for the consulate/embassy to grant you the visa. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs which approves or denies the visas is taking longer to process them in comparison to last year.

Since the FBI takes up to three months to provide the criminal background certificate I recommend using an approved channeler that could obtain it in a week or so.

But, if the 60 day visa expires you could still apply for residency but Immigration will charge an additional $5,000 pesos to process your application. (Please note that this fee will be charged if the application is not approved by the expiration date on the visa even if you enter the country prior to the visa expiration date). I recommend my clients to arrive to the country at least 5 days prior to the visa expiration date to avoid that fee.

The length of time to process your application varies depending on if all the required documents are in order prior to sending it via their online file submission program.

For example, one of the items required to complete your application is a letter from a Dominican bank indicating that you have an active account with them. Typically banks do not draft this letter until after the account has been open for six months. Do you have an existing bank account in the DR? Banks charge a fee to draft this letter as well.

Once the file is approved you will be asked to make the payment of $29,000 pesos per person plus any late fees. This is the application cost for the type of residency you desire. Afterwards you can go to the medical facility approved by Immigration to have the exam about 20 minutes away. It includes a medical history interview (it may be helpful to bring someone that can translate for you), x-ray, urinalysis and blood test. The test searches for any communicable diseases and drug use.

Thank you so much for the information!! I am almost thinking is it even worth me continuing with step 2!  I am not really looking to work in the Dominican Republic. I am fully retired. I would like to live there with my husband until his visa get approved if it does get approved to come to the United States. The process just seems so complicated and costly.

Any process dealing with a government institution (especially Dominican) can be complicated. But, there are a handful of law firms that assist with the process so that it does not become daunting.