Installing a mailbox on a road with no name

It felt good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

Now everyone! "La la laaa la lalalala la laaa laaa la"

I live in the Las Piñas sector of Barrio Beatriz in Caguas, right on the border of Cayey. Our street doesn't have a name. There isn't a post office within 20 minutes of us. I'd like to install a mail box but I'm not sure how I'd actually start getting mail delivered here.

Any advice?

Go to your local post office and describe where you live.  They will put you in touch with the local "hired carrier" who will give you an HC number to use as your address. Have done this twice here.

I think all roads have a name but they are not used much in the country. My farm is on Camino Pastillo but the address is a HC # That might be for a Hacienda #. If you have any neighbors you might ask them or go to the post office with your Hacienda # and they could most likely direct you  to who to talk to.

HC=  Highway Contract

Good luck. Where I live, we are still waiting for the post office to approve the mailboxes.  It is almost three years.  Not everything is up-to-date throughout Palmas del Mar.

Love posts from current residents. Best info.

USPS website: "Highway Contract Route 28 Box 24" is incorrect, correct is: HC 28 Box 24.

When we moved in to our PR house, I simply went to the local post office, spoke to the postmaster.  He advised me on locating the mail box and informed the deliver man.   It was very easy.

westernprguy wrote:

Go to your local post office and describe where you live.  They will put you in touch with the local "hired carrier" who will give you an HC number to use as your address. Have done this twice here.

Perfect. Thanks!

Mrkpytn wrote:

I think all roads have a name but they are not used much in the country. My farm is on Camino Pastillo but the address is a HC # That might be for a Hacienda #. If you have any neighbors you might ask them or go to the post office with your Hacienda # and they could most likely direct you  to who to talk to.

Yesterday I noticed a new mailbox down the road from me at a house that was just built. Perhaps I can catch them if they are outside and ask what they did.

It would be interesting to find out what exactly the USO (universal service obligation) of the USPS says about this. I found this:

The Postal Service's USO includes a requirement to provide mail services to everyone, regardless of where they live, and for at least one mail product, at a uniform price.

https://www.uspsoig.gov/blog/postal-ser … obligation

If this is also valid for Puerto Rico (and why not) it would mean that everybody should be able to get mail delivered.

In the rural areas there are the mailboxes where contractors (Highway Contract) deliver mail. We have one of those boxes, it's about a mile from our house. The contractor, a very friendly lady also delivers packages at the houses in her area. She needs, of course to know who lives where and after that she delivers. Always!

I think, Richvide, that in your case you should check at the post office that is responsible for your area how the mail delivery is organized and how you can get your mail delivered. The Postmaster should be able to inform you.